PDA

View Full Version : Jan

Michelle(nz)
18-03-00, 12:31 AM
Wish your boys a happy St Paddy's day!!!. Best you give them xtra lucerne ;-)

retired
18-03-00, 01:11 AM
Ah and to be sure, they'd be likin' dat lucerne cos it's nice and green. An a Happy St Patricks day to em.

Jan Heine
18-03-00, 02:19 AM
Actually made them a green carrot cake and a bottle of guinesse each to wash it down! Don't laugh - have to tell you they love a drop of guinesse as a special treat and the Vet says it is OK to give them a little bit every now and then - guys in Ireland swear this is why the Irish horses have such lovely temperaments - a touch of guinesse for their mums before foaling and a dabble for the foals at about one month old - keeps them mellow for the rest of their lives! Mmmmm wonder if it works for people - I know a few who need mellowing!
A a pinch for you all for St Paddy's!

showee
18-03-00, 02:39 AM
ah a very top of of the morning to them!!!
green beer of course!!

Caroline
18-03-00, 03:09 AM
after that guiness! actually, in NZ we used to give our horses a drop if they appeared a bit colicy...

michelle(nz)
18-03-00, 03:26 AM
nt

Lorraine
18-03-00, 03:57 AM
Well South West Ireland would be one of my favourite places in all the world, also I have a horse called Foinavon (which sounds a bit Irishy) and a horse called Spud (favourite Irish food!) so I'm going to enjoy it with you to be sure...... OK end of silly Irish acent!!

Caroline
18-03-00, 07:58 AM
Sort of... I was born in England, and at 7 emigrated to New Zealand with my family - I lived in Auckland for 13 years, but spent a year in Matamata working at Evergreen Lodge - an excellent stud, which I'm not sure if its still in operation; at the time they were standing One Pound Sterling and Icelandic; that is where McGinty was bred along with others like Castletown, Mr Ironclad, Kingston Lane..I definitely do not regret moving to Australia, and after a few trips back to NZ; don't think I could live there again; but it's so funny, I used to think that driving for an hour was SOOOO long!!! But you're way down south aren't you?

Lin
18-03-00, 09:14 AM
Don't laugh!! Guiness has been widely reccomended for nursing mothers (as in humans).

Guiness is jam packed with iron. Sounds like it almost qualifies as an Essential Food Group (along with chocolate) <EG>

Off down the pub for a half pint...

PS, Happy St Pats Day to Jan's crew!

michelle(nz)
18-03-00, 11:50 AM
yep i'm at Westport on the West Coast. Only been here 5 years, but iv'e had enough now and ready to come home. I now have "kiwi" kids and partner.
I know what you mean about the driving. It takes us 4 hours to get to Christchurch( one side of the island to the other!) When i was in Aussie, i thought 2 hours was far, now i will think it is just s stones throw! :-)

I have s silly Irish Joke (partner has Irish blood in him!)

There are these 2 Irish men, and they are discussing their wives;
First Irishman says: My wife is just an angel,
Second irishman says: Well, your lucky, my wife is still alive!

Sick huh? ;o)

Lorraine
18-03-00, 01:58 PM
Back in the bad (good but politically incorrect!) old hunting days in England, all the hunters would get a warm bran and boiled barley/linseed mash with a bottle of stout when they returned home. I dont know if it made the horses feel any better but we felt we were doing the right thing, and they certainly seemed to love it!

Jan Heine
18-03-00, 04:22 PM
My mum was a mothercraft nurse (in the dim and dark past) and she always advised nursing mothers to drink a malt beer before feeding to avoid colic in babies. She herself was not a drinker but apparently always followed her own advice and drank Guiness before feeding. For this reason I actually do believe it is good for a colicy horse and always have a couple of cans in the fridge - just in case! And I was serious - the boys love their drop of Guiness as a special treat.
And yep Lorrain - Ireland is certainly the place the good lord (whoever she may be) chose as the greatest place on earth. Tiny as it is there is more kindness and horse sense in it than in countries far larger. I try to spend as much time as possible in Southern Ireland because it has made me a more mellow human being and one who is re-learning to trust humans a little better - they are rogues, the Irish but when you catch them out they smile , shrug their shoulders and say "well you can't hang me for trying no can you?" Don't you just love sweeping generalisations? And I have just made a huge one but I have yet to find too many Irish people (male or female) that aren't charming, warm and friendly. Now pardon me while I get back to my Guiness before bed - early start tomorrow!