PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING IN.....

jane
20-03-00, 04:16 AM
I have just started a great natured 3yr old filly. I have grown up with and ridden horses all my life, but this is the first horse I've started on my own.. we're going great (she's a wonderful horse), but has anyone got any ideas on great exercises for making learning easier and more fun for her??

Jodie
20-03-00, 01:40 PM
Some horses are easy to break in, others are not so. I think the main thing to remember when starting a horse if you have not done many, or any in your case, is know when you can do it alone and when to get help.
I broke in my little pony gelding and it was the easiest thing in the world. He has turned out so well and we have had a good first season showing. He is so kind and the easiest horse I have ever ridden. I thought breaking in my TB filly would be the same. No sir. I thought things were going well until one day I rode her and she exploded. I swallowed my pride and I am going to get help with her.

Has your young horse had a lot of handling? Is she confident and adaptable? Does she seem to learn things quickly? Is she curious? Does she seem to like you and is she easy to catch? If so then you are probably doing well. With your question, to make learning easy you have to be very consistent and learn what she is telling you in response to what you ask of her. Learn to know when she is unsure, before she gets confused. Make all new commands as obvious as you can and encourage or discourage behaviour consistently. She will be happy and willing if she knows you are leader and you will look after her and not upset her.
There are others who know more about it than I do and no doubt they will have some good advice for you. Good luck with your filly.

Rocking
20-03-00, 03:23 PM
Read "Tom Roberts the Young Horse". You will never regret buying this book and will refer back to it forever. Best advice I ever had when I asked the same question that you just have. Good Luck and Have Fun :D

jane
21-03-00, 09:11 AM
JODIE: My filly is an absolute pleasure. She comes cantering to me whenever she sees me, especially if I have the saddle. She loves every part of her new experience.. no resistance at all, and I've been around horses long enough to really read a horse. She is very smart... loves learning, is an absolute pleasure to do anything with, and sees me as her mum!! She even "grooms" me when I brush her. Gorgeous hey?! The first time I backed her she put her head down and ate some grass!!

jane
21-03-00, 09:12 AM
JODIE: My filly is an absolute pleasure. She comes cantering to me whenever she sees me, especially if I have the saddle. She loves every part of her new experience.. no resistance at all, and I've been around horses long enough to really read a horse. She is very smart... loves learning, is an absolute pleasure to do anything with, and sees me as her mum!! She even "grooms" me when I brush her. Gorgeous hey?! The first time I backed her she put her head down and ate some grass!!

Jodie
21-03-00, 01:32 PM
That's great Jane :-)
My pony was just like that to break in. In fact he's still like that, although perhaps a little more businesslike. Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun. Also sounds like you're on the right track.

Jodie
21-03-00, 01:36 PM
I just re-read my post and it sounds like I was saying that your filly is unprofessional. What I meant is that my pony is not as cuddly. My TB filly is very cuddly and loves a scratch on the bum, but she's a good bit wilder than the pony. Sounds like you've got the best of both worlds!