PDA

View Full Version : judy dierks

cab
19-05-03, 11:45 AM
does anyone use judy dierks as an instructor. Can you tell me how much she charges. I am an eventer and am thinking of starting lessons with her to improve my dressage.

cab
23-05-03, 01:18 PM
someone must have used her.........

Sylvie
23-05-03, 01:31 PM
Cab with all due respect .. brush up a bit on your horse/dressage/competitive knowledge.

Judy Dierks is a highly qualified, highly proficient, highly skilled dressage instructor. As well as professional.

I honestly don't know if many event riders have "used" her - as you so quaintly put it .. but some of the best dressage riders in Australia and new Zealand have benefitted from her tuition.

If you are concerned about the cost of lessons .. well I guess you can have $40 an hour lessons from Joe Blow, and $?? from Judy ... your call of course. :-)

cab
23-05-03, 02:09 PM
sylvie, 'with all due respect' - who the hell do you think you are....... I dont recall saying judy was not highly qualified, proficient etc., and because I am an event rider does not disqualify me from having and benefiting from lessons from her (doesnt everyone at every level benefit and learn from lessons). And as you so 'quaintly' assumed that it was a money issue for me, why didnt you give me an answer as you appear to know judy so well. As you would read in my first post, I am wanting to improve my dressage so wouldnt the answer be to get pure dressage training from one of Australias best ..... And can you please explain why I would need to brush up on my horse/dressage/competitive knowledge - get over yourself.

Sylvie
23-05-03, 02:44 PM
Cab your question was "how much does she charge?" ... Can you give me any reason - any reason at all - why anybody should consider that the issue was not money???

You didn't ask if she was good, bad or indifferent - you asked about money.

Call her. And try to be nice. :-)

cab
23-05-03, 03:05 PM
Pathetic, I mean sylvie - Not an issue, just a question, you made it into an issue by responding the way you did. BTW am always nice, I just dont accept crap from people like yourself who feel the need to respond likie you did to reasonable posts.

Bag
23-05-03, 03:10 PM
I know Judy to be a good coach. I would be reluctant to ring her without some idea of the costs of lessons, as I might not be able to afford them. This does not mean I would not like lessons with her, or that she is definately too expensive for me to afford, however knowing before I ring her to book (if like Cab I was planning to) would stall any embarrasment. I think you are being somewhat harsh, Sylvie. Most people have to consider cost, no matter how good the coach is, and at least this way Cab will be able to assess if she can afford what she wants.

Sylvie
23-05-03, 03:35 PM
I respect and admire you Bag and won't argue with you on any count. :-) you are talking sense.

Cab - I object to the word "use" when it comes to people and animals - any people and any animals - hence my objection to what I consider your rudeness.

Perhaps if you could express yourself a little better, we could start again?? But I don't know what she charges ... she and Clemens have a website.

ALLIE
24-05-03, 01:24 AM
Call her and have a chat about her training methods, outcomes, programme.

Personally, I found it hard to get her to articulate her value as an instructor. I couldn't also get a clear picture of how regularly she would be able to provide me with a lesson or whether I could purchase a block of lessons to work toward a particular outcome.

I think she was really ticked off with me for asking questions, as I think most people just call up and book a lesson.

I went along and watched a friend who was having regular lessons with her. Whilst my friend felt she was the best thing ever the lessons would not have suited my learning style.

So, I guess it's horses for courses. Judy is a lovely lady and a lovely rider. You need to decide whether she is right for you.

NB: It is your responsibility to outline what you are looking for and in what time you expect to achieve it so that the instructor has a fair idea of whether or not they can help you in achieving that outcome.

sil
24-05-03, 03:00 AM
Cab doesn't need to express herself better on this forum. We all knew what she meant, even if the wording was not 100%.

If you choose to take offence to her entire post becuase she used the word 'use', that is your problem - not hers. I suggest you remember we are all horse people in it together, and if you feel the need to give someone a serve over their use of the English language, you need to go out, have a ride, and relax! =)

lenny
24-05-03, 09:48 AM
Cab, you poor thing, fancy being attacked like that for no reason. Sylvie that was outrageous, but truthfully, from all the lurking I've been doing over the past year on this forum I would expect nothing less from you - you really need to come down off your high horse sometimes, with all due respect ;-)

Anyway Cab, get as much information as you can about potential instructors - i.e objective comments from as many people as possible who you respect. I understand Judy charges around the $88 per lesson mark. I know a little bit about her but would rather not elaborate on this forum. Also is there anyone else you have considered?

_Yarraman_
24-05-03, 10:00 AM
Wow, went THAT down the wrong way.....
Well, cab, the best way of finding out if Judy is letting you use her, is to ring her. At the same time you can find out how much she requires you to pay her.
If you are lucky enough to be accepted as student, enjoy. :-)

Sylvie
24-05-03, 12:18 PM
Thanks Yarraman - for seeing this from the other side. :-)

This has become almost a pack attack on Sylvie. One starts and the others follow - with increasing ferocity.

Lenny I have to say that you have actually hit home. I hope you're pleased with yourself because I am quite hurt by your remarks. But with my saying that I suppose that gives more incentive to you people to increase the attack ...

I don't honestly consider that I attacked Cab at all ... unless Cab is offended by my use of the word "quaint" ... and in which case if he/she is I apologise. I didn't think that it was an offensive word.

But oh boy was Cab firing broadsides with his/her reply!!

Yes of course Cab can ask the best in the business to help with their dressage ... but the way the questions were put I didn't think that Cab realised that Judy was one of the best in the business.

Judy deserves a little more respect than "someone must have used her".

Flame proof padded coat of armour is on.

dally
24-05-03, 02:14 PM
Judy may be the 'best in the business' but the original question was sincere so what's with the snobby attitude? And as she is an instructor, she obviously charges a fee so what's the big deal? "Used her" as in used her services - nothing offensive in that as far as I can see??? And truly Sylvie I think your reply was patronising....

And it's not a pack attack on you Sylvie - just the majority's response to your post & obviously disagreeing with your interpretation of the original question!

md
25-05-03, 06:34 AM
Well for what its worth, I have 'used' Judy before. I trained with her for a short while with my dearly departed tb gelding Dino, straight from the track. She was straight forward to deal with, no more expensive than others I have trained with, professional and knowledgable. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, but seriously I found her understanding, knowledgeable, the only draw back for me, being a timid rider (well I was. not now though lol) is that often I had to work with up to two other horses in the arena at the same time, one of which was normally being lunged (thank god my boy was quiet). taught me how to steer though, and he quickly got used to mirrors, oh and the peacocks that occasionaly would fluff out all of their feathers, (not a good look to a young tb of the track though hmm).
Really you have to judge for your self, she helped me at the time, but you do have to have a em tough skin, but then those that do generally get further, hmm so thats my problem. Have fun Cheers