PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Heel

Ashlea
25-05-03, 11:46 AM
Hi there have been having a bit of trouble with a new horse that came with greasy heel problem, trouble is it just won't budge, I suspect it may be more of a fungal type problem.
I have tried some common remedies like
potties white ointment,
Pharmonia,
Dermapred,
sulphur creams,
betadine,
white healer,
Tricin antibotic powder,
ect, next in the medicine cabinet I was thinking of trying something more fungal fighting power like the bleach and Imaverol.

The horse concerned is not in work, and is not in a wet padock.

What do you think ?

Anyone had such a stubborn one like this ?

Ashlea

Jae
25-05-03, 12:04 PM
friend of mine had enormous sucess with filta-bac... from your local saddlery :)

rappie
25-05-03, 12:21 PM
Try malaseb wash from your vet. It's antifungal and antibacterial. If it is actually greasy heal (ie. Dermatophilus spp) then you need to keep the skin dry so none of the creams are really going to help. Best to wash and then dry thoroughly.

Lulu
25-05-03, 12:55 PM
we have a horse still recovering from Dermatophillus that came up nearly 2 months ago now. It's a bugger to get rid of and can be quite painful for the horse too...best to keep it dry and dirt/mud free, you may need your vet on this one, mine prescribed us 'Neotopic' cream(antibiotic/anti inflamm.)which showed relief after about 3 days. Had tried everything else prior to this with no result....

rappie
25-05-03, 01:01 PM
Neotopic H also has a local anaesthetic in it so that tends to help - but its a Schedule 4 drug, so you will need your vet to get that. And no demanding it just because, thats mean :):) (I'm being honest, but joking :))

spike
25-05-03, 01:07 PM
I had the same problem with greasy heel, I tried everything that everybody suggested, but I could not budge it.
Then I remembered my father using methylated spirits years ago to treat greasy heel.
So I poured some on and about two/three days later it is all but gone.
Just need to keep it as dry as possible.

Ashlea
26-05-03, 07:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, I Will go with the antifungal treatment, the metho sounds handy to clean off the scabs, and good for anything thats not too out of hand.
Cheers Ash

Mo
27-05-03, 02:54 AM
Hi, I had the same trouble as you, tried all your listed ingredients (well nearly all!) and then tried unprocessed honey. It was like a miracle. My girls had greasy heel so badly I was getting desparate. Do give it a try.

Ashlea
27-05-03, 08:16 AM
Hi well had the vet out today and he precribed some antibiotics to kill the infection on the inside, and he said to wash the area in a solution with bleach to kill the bacteria on the suface of the skin.

Thank you all for your input it has certainly been a stubborn skin condition to get rid of.

Cheers Ash

Phoenix
27-05-03, 10:38 AM
Where do you buy unprocessed honey?

debmc
05-06-03, 01:30 PM
Yes, I have white footed horses and both came to me with bad greasy heel.
The most successful treatment I have used was a tiny tube of prescription cream used by my partner for "jock itch". I have had no other success with the creams, because they don't allow the skin to dry out.
Iodine is as good as anything, applied to dry dry heels. Boringly consistently every day at least once! Good luck.

Sophie
06-06-03, 01:32 AM
My mare had extremely bad greasy heal afew months back. She wasnt lame at all but there was alot of mud encrusted around her heel so I sat down and cleaned it all off with some water and a clean sponge then I sprayed Iodine on it then that night I sprayed some cetrigen on it and afew days after that it had all healed up, she was kept in dry paddocks and I wouldnt let her go near the water trought (it had flodded abit around that area) so I had to rope off a section in the shelter at night and keep her in there with a trough of water and it worked. The hair is still growing back at the moment but there are no scabs etc.

bubbles
06-06-03, 01:58 AM
Hi there - it may sound weird but a old stockies cure is stockholm tar. It works a treat - I think it prevents moisture from getting in by creating a barrier - it also seems to lift the scabs away.

I have had great success with this - once cured become fanactical about keeping the back of the hoove area dry by running a towel over it. I have also found by keeping the area clipped the mud has no hairs to cling to.

Good Luck - Cheers Bubbles

Ashlea
10-06-03, 04:22 AM
Greasy Heel update,
Bugger as soon as the anti-biotics wore of the leg has swollen back up and the stuff is six times as bad as it was to begin with. I don't want to use any more anti-biotics in fear it may have already damaged her imune system, the sulprim didn't really help anyway. She has no mud or wet patches in her padock, but would be getting her legs wet from the grass. I looks like I may have to lock her up in the stable and yard, I had hoped it did not come to this as I hate my horses been locked up, they all are used to being at grass. I would like to give the honey or stockholm tar a go, but not sure as it seems as though it is a real fungus, I will never buy another horse with a bit of scab on the leg. This is ridiculous, I have never seen anything so hard to get rid of.

Ashlea

Olly
10-06-03, 10:16 AM
Poor Ashlea. Isn't mud fever a horrible thing. The horse is miserable and so are we from trying to treat it. Here's what I do. Spray on 1/2 baby oil to 1/2 cider vinegar. Leave at least 15 minutes. This will lift the scabs. Then wash thoroughly with anti-dandruff shampoo removing the scabs as you go. Rinse properly and dry thoroughly. Then apply your cream. I use a clear gel like substance made by a local vet personally but as you won't be able to get that, try Equiderm. You could also try Manuka Honey or a cream with calendula and St John's wort cream. Some people (dare I say!) also swear by a pinch of copper sulphate in their feed balanced by a spoon of dolomite to neutralize it. I've never been game enough to do that as c/s is so poisonous. But maybe your horse is lacking something? My girl still gets a touch of it every now and again though so who knows. Good luck.