PDA

View Full Version : Hi im new, and would like some advi

casey
02-11-03, 09:51 PM
Hi there, my husband and I are planning to move to Aus, and would like to buy an equestrian property.
I compete show jumping and would like to know where would be the best place to move for arena's, shows, instructors and so on.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks in advance.

Casey

susan
03-11-03, 09:15 AM
Hi Casey, there are lots of areas in Australia that will offer what you are looking for but personally I would reccomend any area around any of the major cities especially Melbourne, Sydney, Adlelaide etc. Melbourne and Sydney probably being the best.

blackhorse
03-11-03, 10:58 AM
Where are you coming from Casey? Are you bringing horses with you or going to start up here?

If you are coming from the UK, when someone here tells you something is "not far", re-adjust your thinking as to what "not far" means. If you are coming from the US, don't think in terms of mega complexes and huge professional barns. If you are coming from NZ, well,you know all about us anyway :).

casey
03-11-03, 11:05 PM
Thanks for your replys. Im coming from the UK, my husband has duel nationality as his mother was Australian.
I will be coming with horses, and have been looking at small holdings as i would like to set up a stud, particulary as I have a lovely dutch bred stallion. (well, you gotta start somewhere.lol)
Sydney or Melbourne......I will look into it. Thanks again.

Casey

Mo
04-11-03, 01:52 AM
Don't disregard the smaller States. I am English, and we live in South Australia. Our property is only 40 mins drive from the city, 20 acres, great feed, we cut our own hay, and the cost of ownership would have to be a quarter of comparable places in the East. In our area, the Adelaide Hills, we have had no drought, hay, lucerne, chaff is far cheaper than the other states. It is a friendly place with many horsey people (well we're the home of 2 Olympic Gold Medalists!).
The city is small, easy to get around and clean!!

Do shop around! Good luck and welcome to Oz, it's a great place and many Aussies do not realise how great it is and how lucky they are!!