PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Sulphur & Copper Sulphate

Phoenix
21-11-03, 02:15 PM
Does anyone add these to their horses' feed and if so, why?

Brokeford
21-11-03, 03:36 PM
Organic sulphur plays an important part the the development of muscle tissue doesn't it? I Use a small amount of vitalic powder in mixed feeds and the paddock horses have a mineralised salt block which contains sulphur and copper among other things.

Copper Sulphate is good for reducing proud flesh on old open wounds (I think it is a manufactured chemical) - why would anyone feed that?

Louise

Rougelais
21-11-03, 04:35 PM
I could be way wrong here, but an old bushie involved in the racing industry told me that feeding sulphur powder to a horse helped in the muscle department, but when the horses were taken off it after their racing career, there coats turned dull and coarse, never returning to the glossy coat they once had. As I said, I dont know if this is true, but it could be.

Fish76
22-11-03, 05:09 AM
I think you need to read the book by pat Colby on feeding horses. it only costs about $15.00 and talks about feeding all those things and why. Many people swear by her methods. Well worth a read.

winter
23-11-03, 08:20 AM
I have read the Pat Coleby book and she has some good ideas and has made a lot of people more aware of natural feeds. But I totally disagree with feeding Copper Sulphate and Dolomite. Copper Sulphate is toxic to horses and they cannot excrete this. It's best to look at natural feeds that are high in copper if you need to supplement the diet. Dolmite is too raw a form and it is better to feed dicalphate which has the correct ratios for calcuim and phosphate.
Dolmite is for spreading on your paddock.
As for Sulphur, why are you feeding this? I feed garlic which is a natural herb and has the sulphur propoerties?

Their are a few good sites that are worth a look at
http://equinehealth.alphalink.com.au/ - Christine Scully
http://www.herbal-treatments.com.au/ - Robert McDowell
http://www.meadowherbs.com/actions.htm
www.herbalhorse.com - Victoria Ferguson (Also has a good book out)

Good luck

ROYAL PONY
24-11-03, 05:14 AM
* I don't know if it is the same with horses, but many many people (humans)have bad reactions to different types of sulphur *

It has many different side effects to humans, headaches, joint problems, inflamation, blood pressure etc etc.

Just wondering if it may have side effects with horses to??

Just wondering

Cheers
Pony
:-)

reek
25-11-03, 03:11 AM
I'm starting to wonder that myself Pony. I began 5 of my horses on a course of Sulphur and Copper Sulphate and have since stopped. But the last week or so the 2 chestnuts have had reactions that I can only attribute to the sulphur. The 3yr old gelding has started to develop a fungal type rash on his face and around his neck and the yearling filly has all these type of heat lumps on her body. Yet the other 3 all of which are dark brown have no problems at all!

I was also reading about copper sulphate and proud flesh last night and because of the chemical compunds in it its not a good idea. The book said that the copper forces a type of chemical scab to form but infection can still grow underneath the scab because it really is only an artificial scab not the proper blod clotting that you want. To prevent proud flesh I prefer to use Lotagen as its more specifically for that type of thing.

Eddy
25-11-03, 05:05 AM
Most pre mixed feeds (e.g. pellets, stud mix, brand name feeds) have copper sulfate added at some level. Total sulphur is also reported on labels. Read labels first! A good quality grain mix will also contain adequate copper and sulphur if it is grown in good quality soil.

I don't think anyone could condone sticking antibiotics down a horse for no good reason. Copper sulfate should be treated more even sparingly and more cautiously than antibiotics. Copper sulfate is very dangerous in a conc form (i.e. wear breathing apparatus, gloves and goggles when handling it).