PDA

View Full Version : Natural Horsemanship

Cygnant
24-03-04, 05:37 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book to learn some of the basic ground techniques in natural horsemanship? I have been doing a bit of research on the net and have finally decided I should buy a book to teach me a bit on ground control. I am only wanting to learn basics such as leading, lunge work, loading onto floats etc. Any Recommendations?

_Yarraman_
24-03-04, 05:50 AM
Linda Tellington Jones (TTouch Team)

Cygnant
24-03-04, 05:55 AM
Cheers Yarraman

It would be available from saddleries?

_Yarraman_
24-03-04, 06:12 AM
Yes, I have seen her books in numerous stores around (otherwise order via Amazon or the like). Her methods have helped me greatly with a big goof-ball of a TB.... floating.... leading... confidence.
We have a very capable TTouch practitioner in Vic.: Rosemary oh dear, forgot her name now...... (used to be Jelbart - ? help anybody?)
Good luck. It's a bit different than the usual shooing around in round pens... (sorry).

BJD
24-03-04, 03:24 PM
Can't go past 'The Truth About Horses' by Andrew McLean not exactly 'natural' horsemanship in the round pen sense, but very good horsemanship. Get it at saddlery's and bookstores plus it's a really enjoyable read.

_Yarraman_
25-03-04, 02:42 AM
Yep, I second that, too. :-)

Autumn
25-03-04, 03:00 AM
John Chatterton's 'The Ten Commandments' - no not a religious book but a dammed good one for ground training. I cannot recommend this book any higher.

mickey
25-03-04, 04:54 AM
I second that autumn. I have been using it with Alfie and the differnce since November at Dandenong show to the boy who stood still alert and square at melb summer royal was amazing. I have also been using the methods on the old boys. Yes even Flash and Maxie both in their 30's have benefitted form it ,well I have ,I should say. But they do enjoy the interaction.Whats good about John's book is it caters for all ages of horses from different disaplines. Never too old to learn or correct bad habits.

Cygnant
25-03-04, 05:26 AM
Thanks Guys!

I have recorded down all the author names and book titles and will be taking myself out bookshoping this weekend!

Savvy
25-03-04, 05:55 AM
Can't go past Pat Parelli's Natural Horse.Man.Ship book. I'm still reading it and finding it valuable after 5 years.

Savvy

woolly
25-03-04, 07:14 AM
Not exactly "NH" as such, but the most valuable books on my bookshelf are (in descending order in case you are only getting one book!):

Tom Roberts, Horse Control and the Young Horse (don't let the title fool you, has all those things in it you're looking for, for young and old horses alike)

Tom Roberts, Horse Control and the Bit

Tom Roberts, Horse Control and the Rider.

I have many other books as well, but those three are the ones I use the most. Can't recommend them highly enough!

Cygnant
25-03-04, 07:43 AM
Cheers guys, added those books to my list too.

LisaL
27-03-04, 04:01 AM
I do like Andrew McLean's book and am having success using the techniques in it. I also really love John Chattertons book and know quite a few people who are having a lot of success using his techniques with their horses. Tom Roberts books are also gems.

The Parelli book I wouldn't recommend. I don't mind PNH, I've learned a lot from PNH, but at the same time I never ever got anything out of the book. I'd recommend that you watch his videos instead as his book is not very well written and very confusing.

Another book I really enjoyed (as it taught me about the psychology) was the Clicker Training for Horses book.

AND, if you want some books that will move you to tears, make you laugh and you'll read over and over and over again - you cannot go past Mark Rashids 'Considering the Horse', 'A Good Horse is Never a Bad Color' and 'Horses Never Lie'.

Cygnant
27-03-04, 05:10 AM
Thanks LisaL, I have ben looking at the Tom Roberts books and the John Chattertons book and "a good horse is never a bad colour" and was actually wondering what it was about. Might be worth reading now.

Cheers!