PDA

View Full Version : What extra things to do when trying a new horse

Lozza
13-11-99, 11:56 PM
Tommorrow i am going to try a horse ( i was supposed to try it out 3 weeks ago but it was lame) anyway i have tried a heap of horses for sale over the last 11 months and havent found one yet. I was wondering if there was any special things i should try on this horse apartt from all the walk, trot, canter on both reins, jumping, good confirmation, etc. if anyone can think of anything i should do while riding this horse tommorrow please post quickly
thanks

anon1
14-11-99, 06:00 AM
Definately get it vet checked. Why was it lame? Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck I hope you find one soon

BL
14-11-99, 07:39 AM
I hope the try out went well. You can use my advise for future try outs, sorry it's come late.
Anyway.... push the horse to the limit ask it for everything and try out all it's different buttons. You may find it can walk, trot, canter and jump but once you get it home and start asking more it could change totally! Try asking for some leg yeild and shoulder in, and do lots of different transitions.
*** Good Luck ***

Silver
16-11-99, 01:51 PM
Hello Lozza! You found this civilised forum then!

This is definately a bit late, but never mind you will probably try other horses sometime... my advice is to listen carefully to what the owner is NOT saying, and then ask your questions about that. I learnt long ago that people are not going to tell you the problems, but it you ask directly most people will not actually lie to you straight out but will try to sidle round the question... The skill lies in picking that up and probing a bit!

My other bit of advice is that you will never find a perfect one, so it's really a case of deciding which is the least worst!

And finally - we all get caught sometimes, if it happens just deal with it and don't beat yourself round the head for being stupid - look on it as character-forming or whatever and move on. If your'e not moving on your'e probably dead - if in doubt take your pulse Cheers...

CHRISTIE WANSEY
19-11-99, 06:52 AM
WHEN YOU ARE BUYING A HORSE ASK IF YOU CAN TAKE IT ON A FEW WEEKS TRIAL.
SPENT TIME WITH IT ALONE, BECAUSE IT'S REALLY HARD TO BUY THE RIGHT HORSE WHEN THE OWNER IS STANDNG THERE WATCHING OVER YOUR SHOULDERS.
TAKE IT HOME AND DO EVERYTHING TO IT AS IF IT WAS YOUR OWN HORSE.
AND THEN DECIDE WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.
GIVE ME AN EMAIL BACK WHEN YOU GET THIS AND I CAN PROBERLY HELP YOU A BIT MORE.
THANKS CHRISTIE

jane
27-01-00, 03:14 PM
You're not the girl who was going to try Langford are you? I saw a note from Lozza on Eb Tucker or Langford, and I know that horse was lame a little while ago coz he went through a fence. If it is Langford, he's a gun of a horse. You'd have a heap of fun with him.