PDA

View Full Version : Lipizzaner Stallions

Annette
28-03-00, 06:21 AM
Does anyone know of any Lipizzaner stallions in Australia. I have a nice Lipizzaner mare that I'm going to breed from, and I'd like to check out Lipizzaner stallions as well as warmbloods. She's already had two stunning foals by Holsteiner stallions.

Jan Heine
28-03-00, 06:39 AM
Annette - Tony Uytendaal at Pearcedale has th emost beautiful Lippizaner I have ever seen - he has the most unbelievable temperament I have ever seen in a horse let alone a stallion!! He nuzzles Tony and licks his neck, kisses his face - it is unbelievable - you really need to see this total trust, respect and genuine affection between man and horse. Now I don't know whether he stands him to outside mares but definitely worth a phone call - phone number is (03) 59 786 856. If you go an have a look tell me what you think!

Annette
28-03-00, 07:16 AM
Thanks heaps Jan. I posted this not really expecting any replies, there just aren't many Lipizzaners around. Which is a shame, because they really do have gorgeous temperments, and so much talent for dressage. I've tried calling already, but Tony's not home. I'll try again later tonight. This is so exciting..... I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Rosemary
28-03-00, 08:05 AM
Yes, Annette, the TB/Lipizzaner cross is just terrific. A friend had a stallion (he died only recently) and she bred 2 foals from him for herself and wishes she'd bred more. Both are from TB mares. One is fairly ordinary to look at (but so was his dam) but has the most gorgeous movement and temperament. He reached (and won) advanced level dressage before hurting himself in the paddock. Her other is STUNNING. He is only 2 and about 16 hands now - he'll be a big boy - lovely and quiet but just the most beautiful young horse. It is a fabulous cross.

I haven't seen Tony's stallion, but believe Jan, because I too have heard that he really is lovely.

helen
29-03-00, 03:57 AM
he is beautiful annette - when i was young and dumb and a real pain in the bum (well - more than i am now!) i went to work at for the uytendaals'...i lasted one week - and luckily ended up with a really tough boss at a really great place for 14 months after that which straightened me out - but monty - i'm sure that's his name - is gorgeous - and so quiet...

also - have you considered importing semen?

also annette - did anne-marie see my reply to her post re: the clinic at glenny? it would be archived now - but i assume she posted from your pc?

Jan Heine
29-03-00, 05:09 AM
Interesting suggestion regarding importing semen - I have a great struggle with this concept. In Australia we are very new at the "breeding game" and I (personal opinion here) believe that we are going to mess things up if we go into using imported semen without sufficient knowledge. When breeding it is very important to understand what it is you are trying to achieve. Let me give you an example - I am breeding showjumpers - I want to breed horses with strong back ends, good technique and trainability. To achieve this we need to start with the right article - meaning both stallion and mare. Now when I look at mares (for myself) I like to be able to see at least 2 (if not more) of their foals so that I can see what characteristics of the mother are in the foals. The same thing goes for the stallion. Now if you are using imported semen you might be lucky enough to see a video of the foals or you might not and you might be lucky enough to see a video of some mares. Not good enough!!! I know for example of one imported stallion in Australia who is beautiful - he has the backend, the build, the temperament BUT in his line there is a serious lack of "back end" which is not evident in him. Unfortunately when he was brought to Australia he was bred to all and any mare and there are very few of his progeny doing anything particularly much. Not the stallions fault - when he is put to mares with very good strong backends he throws sensational foals but because people don't realise this they blame the stallion for being no good - and there was even rumour that this stallion had "pony" in his lines thus explaining the smallness of many of his progeny - again not true - but you must put very big mares to him or else he will throw small! So I would caution people about breeding with overseas stallions without first THOROUGHLY investigating the lines and communicating with people in the country of origin to see what type of mares are being put to the stallion.

helen
29-03-00, 07:42 AM
and should have clarified that - with recessive genes, etc. etc. you can't take mummy + daddy on face value and predict what you're going to get - as far as i know the only guarentee is that if you get a live foal when you cross a chesnut with a chesnut - you'll get a chesnut

apart from that - what else is guarenteed?