PDA

View Full Version : Navicular blues

gg_vice
07-07-05, 04:41 AM
My mare has been diagnosed with navicular and I have been treating her with a balanced barefoot trim regime. While I can see improvements in her general well-being, attitude and overall mobility, but she still is lame. I took her for a bit of a ride on Sunday, she was walking fine but a trot just has her bobbing.
I'm feeling a bit depressed about the whole thing (it must be obvious because even (non-horsey)Hubby said to me,"What wrong, is the horse still lame" after I grumped around the place).
Am I expecting too much too soon?
With the breeding season approaching, I'm wondering if I should sell her off as a broodmare and cut my loses. It is just getting me down, not knowing what to do.

PS I really like this mare :-(

Autumn
07-07-05, 04:56 AM
It is hard gg and I give you my smypathy. You are obviously trying to do the right thing but sometimes these things just take time - most major foot healing does im afraid.

Do you ride her in boots? These can help her be more comfortable and you can even add styrofoam inserts for even more comfort.

*big hugs*
<\__~
./\./\

gg_vice
07-07-05, 05:08 AM
Thanks Autumn.
I put my easy-boots on her on Sunday, and they promptly fell to bits.
Guess I haven't used them in awhile. I was thinking about buying some Old Macs (are they better?)

Autumn
07-07-05, 06:37 AM
The old style Easy boots where not very robust but the new Easy boot Epics are supposed to be excellent and come highly recommended. I saw the first pair in OZ and they looked great. I will probrably purchase those myself but directly from the US as I dont think they are avail in OZ just yet (and are twice as expensive of course). Ive had Old Macs and they are good and also had VERY old Easy boots - in fact I think they are still lying around the tack room but are falling too bits (they are over 15 yrs old now lol). Boa, Old Macs and Easy Boot Epics are some of the best on the market.

Check out http://www.easycareinc.com/default.aspx my biggest problem is I cant work out the size in inches lol.
<\__~
./\./\

samieventer
07-07-05, 09:06 AM
I would try some natural therapies, I have heard of a natural bute which is not bad for the system (contact Robert Mc Dowell or Vicki Ferguson)and will make her more comfortable.

Also Magnetic therapy may help with blood circulation and make her sounder, but with everything some horses may be too bad or too far gone to benefit, they are relatively cheap and may be worth trying.

sweet_horsey
07-07-05, 10:25 AM
hoof changing takes a long time. I would expect you'd be waiting for up to a year for full healing (assuming its all heading down the right track). I have old macs and they are absolutely brilliant - never have slipped or twisted or rubbed. I can ride my boy over hugely rocky and stony surfaces with them on whereas he'd refuse point blank to walk over it without them.

kd
08-07-05, 11:22 PM
Hang in there, healing takes time. After you've removed the painful pressure points (high heels, high bars) you've still got to wait for the circulation to improve in order for the inflammation to die down.

As far as boots go, the EasyBoots don't have any cushioning, so I would be inclined to go for Old Macs or Boas in your case for the extra cushioning/shock absorbtion.

Livvy
09-07-05, 02:48 AM
We had a very good racemare that develped navicular, took her to the vet in Adelaide and she had some time off and was treated with IV aspirin and had egg-bar shoes put on her. All this worked a treat, she went on the win a few more races before we retired her to stud, the vet also said that hot feed and not enough work can be a contributing factor, as well as the fact that some horses are just a bit more suseptable (sp?). The navicular would occasionally come back when she was in race work, so would treat her and rest her for a couple of weeks and bring her back again....champion mare whe was, never stopped trying. The aspirin not only acts as an anti-inflammatory, but it thins the blood and improves circulation. The drug we gave her is not actually called aspirin, but it is the same thing and I cant remember the proper name!

Good luck with her, good mares are worth their weight in gold! Has your vet given you many options of treatment?

gg_vice
09-07-05, 05:18 AM
Vet wasn't too encouraging, suggested might need a neurectomy.

Kath
09-07-05, 12:43 PM
If you are seeing improvements already, if it were me I would wait a bit longer before trying surgery.

It does take time and I really really understand how you are feeling right now. My horse (who I've posted about several times) was lame for about 8 or 9 months. He got better after about 6 months of removing the shoes and changing trimming, to lower his extremely high heel.

It was so hard watching him sore for so long, many tears and sleepless nights...but I didn't have much choice, shoes weren't going to fix it. He was lame with them for a couple of months already. This wasn't a tenderfooted barefoot horse suffering on rough ground. He had a definite problem in just one foot. We discovered at the start of the lameness that he had bone chips and athritis. Vet thought that was it but that surgery probably wouldn't work cause he was so old and the chips had been there so long. We decided to wait a while and just fix the hoof problems first and see what effect that had. Can't say I really expected it to work lol.

But it did and I'm still surprised by the amount of pain caused by a badly shaped foot and double surprised at how amazingly well the hoof can re-grow and repair itself by simply changing the trimming.

The bone chips and athritis are still there, but they don't worry him (yet anwyay). So my point is "boney" problems aren't always the end of the world, because they aren't always the cause of the pain.

Good luck I really hope your mare can be fixed as easily as mine.

gg_vice
09-07-05, 01:19 PM
Thanks Kath. It is always encouraging to hear success stories. I'm doing that awful see-sawing between hope and despair. :-(
I will try to be more positive.