PDA

View Full Version : droppings

mill mix
11-01-01, 08:58 AM
help!!!!!!!!!!!! My seasoned t.b Showhorse has started to eat his droppings!!!!!
What should I do to stop this, dose anybody have any suggestions as to what it may be? or more what is it,that my horse is lacking for him to do this??!!. Is this caused by a lack of fiber in his diet?.. Someone help

Autumn
11-01-01, 09:11 AM
I have heard that horse can do this for a number of reasons - bordom, is he stabled? and if they are lacking in minerals (its not a lack of fibre though).

If he is not stabled and has access to plenty of grass then maybe a mineral suppliment (apple cider vinegar is good, easy and cheap) will help.

Carola
11-01-01, 02:23 PM
Invest in a salt-lick (mineral block). It will keep him amused for hours and replenishes needed nutrience that he might be lacking now.

Carola
11-01-01, 02:25 PM
that looks funny - "nutrients" I mean. Bl...language... Sorry

rappie
11-01-01, 02:58 PM
its normally a lack of various salts, sometimes boredom will cause them to eat droppings.....sometimes horsies do it just because :) as long as he looks alright, give him a salt lick and leave him be.

Nik
11-01-01, 03:33 PM
we had a thoroughbred arrive at our stables right off the track - he was still race fit and one night I caught him having a taste. So went and got him a biscuit of hay to keep him busy. Since then he's dropped back to being a normal horse (and is huge) and no one else has seen him eating or sampling. I believe that it may have been stress a change of enviroment and feed. Apart from that he has a horrible temperment and is awful to ride - but we are working on that

elvis
11-01-01, 11:04 PM
send him round to my place, i've got heaps for him to clean up here! every cloud has a silver lining!

Sonya
12-01-01, 01:26 AM
My TB mare was doing the same thing a while back as well as eating dirt in the dry patches in the paddock. I gave her a mineral block to lick on and she has not done it since. I keep it in a container in her shelter so that the rain does not get to it. Good Luck.

I daren't say
12-01-01, 08:19 AM
Elvis, you little devil, why aren't you putting it all in your garden and giving it to friends for their gardens? I have friends who almost have orgasms at the thought of a trailer load of manure! More than one trailer load....multiple orgasm......
If all else fails, put a muzzle on the horse. Given that nature gets foals to eat their mum's manure for specific reasons, it's probably not as serious a problem as we humans think it is. Mother Nature may well be moving in mysterious ways.......