PDA

View Full Version : Hitting hind feet together

pooperscooper
20-09-05, 05:26 AM
Has anyone else ever had trouble with their horse hitting their two hind feet together when trotting. My new mare (5yo TB) has just started clicking her hooves together when trotting, but only when I'm riding her, never on the lunge! I have tried ensuring that I am sitting straight so not throwing her out to either side, but she still does it, even when travelling in a straight line! She stands a little close behind, but not excessively so. I am just at a loss as to why it only occurs when I'm riding. Help!!

NYP
20-09-05, 06:16 AM
I don't mean to state the obvious, but could she be over-reaching? (ie kicking front hooves with to of rear hooves)?

Just wondering how you can tell that she is kicking back feet together while you are on her back. Are there marks on the inside of her rear hooves/pasterns?

If it is over-reaching, this is common and a pair of over-reach boots will help this.

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.:)

tolai
20-09-05, 06:58 AM
I found the same thing with my TB gelding, I had to use brushing boots on his hind legs when riding although he never seemed to do it on the lunge. Obviously you cannot use boots at dressage comps. though. You will know whether he is 'brushing' or 'over reaching' by where his fetlocks/pasterns/boots are marked. (as NYP said).

Kia
20-09-05, 07:00 AM
Sounds like your mare is forging. My mare does the same thing. The clicking noise comes from when the toe of the hind foot hits the front foot on the same side during trotting. It can also happen when they walk. Tell your farrier about the problem and he/she should be able to shoe/trim your horse to prevent it happening.

Usually, if the hind feet are hitting each other, they hit at the level of the fetlock, and don't make a clicking noise. You will see grazing of the skin on the inside of the leg where it's occurring. Since you're hearing a clicking noise, it's more likely a forging problem.

Check out http://www.horsemanpro.com/articles/interfering_forging.htm for more detailed info.

http://www.horsemanpro.com/Images2/forging/image1.jpg http://www.horsemanpro.com/Images2/forging/image2.jpg

tiffany
20-09-05, 07:00 AM
Do you mean she is "speedy cutting"? Kicking her fetlocks as in a brushing motion?

I had a similar problem when I bought my new pony (16.3hh) he had been out of work for nearly a year - he was a little weak in his back end and topline and this was the result - to ride him I had to heavily bandage him as he would take nicks out of his fetlocks and then get sore and cranky - now that he has put on weight and is stronger in the back and can carry himself better the problem no longer exists - I would have as a guess that as a 5yo TB - your horse needs muscling in order to carry your weight hence the reason you only notice it is when you are riding and not when on the lunge!

Autumn
20-09-05, 07:49 AM
Im assuming your horse wear shoes so I would check the trim, balance of the hooves and also shoe fit. Barefoot horses rarely do this so I suspect that it may be a shoeing/trimming problem.
<\__~
./\./\

pooperscooper
20-09-05, 07:52 AM
Thanks everyone for all your replies. My initial thought was that she must be over-reaching, but i had a friend watch from the ground who seems to think that she is hitting her two hind hooves together. Very bizzare I thought! So last night I tried riding with bell boots on the back to see if that changed anything, but it still happenned - go figure!! so i'm a little confused as I can't see exactly what's going on from her back. Ill try shifting the bell boots back to the front and see if this does anything. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of the hind feet knocking like that before because I though it was a bit strange!

Marilyn
20-09-05, 08:14 AM
I rode a jumper that did this and we used sausage boots. Imagine a piece of garden hose with a strap through it, done up loosely around the rear pastern. The horse I rode only wore one (it seemed to keep his legs separated a bit) but I have seen people using one on each rear pastern.

celebrity
20-09-05, 08:46 AM
I had a similar problem with my previous horse: he plaited behind (occassionally clipped his hooves but mostly just brushed). This never occurred when being lunged, or when instructor was riding him. Turned out that I didn't ride him with enough impulsion. As soon as I got him going, he'd be fine. If I ever let him slack off a bit (like when I was concentrating on something else) he'd go right back to plaiting.

You might find that you get your horse going very well on the lunge, but don't get enough oomph under saddle.

Out of interest, if it was a trim/balance issue wouldn't the horse also do it on the lunge? (sorry for going off track)

Kia
20-09-05, 12:32 PM
Forging usually isn't solved by bell boots, because the horse isn't hitting the heel bulb area. The toe of the hind shoe is hitting the toe of the front shoe (bell boot comes nowhere near it). With my mare, I find she tends to do it when her feet are a bit long and she's due for a shoeing. I also find she does it more when I push her forward, which makes sense; longer strides = hind foot coming closer to front foot.

If you really want to know what's happening, get a friend to video you while you're riding, focusing on the feet. Replay the video in slow motion and watch what she's doing with her feet.