PDA

View Full Version : have you bought a horse float?

undergraduate
15-12-05, 03:31 AM
Hi - I am possibly looking to buy a new horse float (extended with most of the nice features) but I have discovered that there is a whole world of float makers out there. Its very hard to determine which are cheap but good value and which are cheap because they are shoddy. (whilst I would love to buy the most expensive and best looking, I do have a budget to adhere to).
I would love to hear of anyones experiences - both good and bad - with particular float manufacturers? (and while on that note if you have any experiences with particular design features - ones that are working and ones that are not!)
thanks.

shaiarabs
15-12-05, 03:44 AM
Best way is to find the one you like feature wise etc and then go for a ride in it. Going for a ride you will see and hear what horses sees and yes some new floats are just tragic.

Liesl

"Words that soak into your ears are whispered ..... not yelled!"

undergraduate
15-12-05, 03:56 AM
Good idea but unfortunately I am not in a situation to travel around australia to test the potential floats. I am also more worried about the hidden faults (you know - the ones that start to pop up a couple of months after the purchase!) But thanks anyway :)

jake25
15-12-05, 06:24 AM
Check out mt tawonga floats www.mttawongafloats.com.Excellent product ,most of the big name manufacturers 'extras' come in the standard.I have had one for a year and everything is perfect ,horse travels well,tows beautifully and a stunning paint job and excellent finish -no pop rivets to rust ,the outside panels are bonded.One very happy customer!!!!!

Autumn
15-12-05, 07:08 AM
I bought a Crisfloat a few years ago and just love it - would definately have another.

http://www.crisfloat.com

http://polyfloat.alphalink.com.au/index_006.htm

jjm
15-12-05, 09:19 AM
I did a mountain of research into about 25 different brands of float and I visited manufacturers and I talked to owners and I checked out hundreds of floats at events, especially older ones to see how they stood up to use.

I ended up choosing to order a new RICE float because the safety features that I think are imperative come as standard with the RICE.

I took delivery three weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. It tows like an absolute dream and my horse is now completely unstressed about the whole floating business, and arrives cool and calm.

It also looks a million bucks but cost a lot less than most others I researched, which was a bonus!

I'm only too happy to discuss it further if you drop me a pm, and you can come and check it out if you're nearby.

:)

Kath
15-12-05, 10:18 AM
I agree with having a look at the secondhand market, how do they hold up and what's the resale value like?

Painted
15-12-05, 10:51 AM
we bought a float this year and I have to say it is just like buying a car - you have to work out what you want first and don't get too fussed on looks. I wrote down what was a must have and what was a like to have. For me, safety was first and looks were way down the line. I also did not need space for tack and stuff in the float as I have a wagon and I also wanted electric brakes. I ended up getting a really good 10 year old Kara Kar float that has been really great. It does not look pretty but it does everything we need and it is very safe. It was a lot cheaper than buying a new float and we got more features than we would have been able to aford new. I looked at the site below to get ideas on what to look for re safety features of a float - it was really helpful. Good luck.

http://www.horseproblems.com.au/horseproblems_problem_index_page2.htm

undergraduate
16-12-05, 08:16 AM
wow - thankyou all so much - some very helpful info there! Intersting about the Mt Towonga ones - they were definately in the top 5 at this stage but thanks for the RICE one - have never heard of them and will look them up.
JJM - I feel really niave but whats a PM?
once again - thanks to those that replied.

undergraduate
16-12-05, 09:21 AM
Hi jjm - I have looked for RICE floats on the internet and cant find them - which state are they based in and do you have any further information that could help me contact them?
Thanks.

jjm
16-12-05, 10:51 AM
Hi Undergraduate,

They're in Lang Lang in Victoria and they don't have a website (!!!).

The phone number is 03 5997 5017 and the email is ricefloats@bigpond.com.au.

Good luck with it!
Cheers,
Jen

jjm
16-12-05, 10:53 AM
hehehe, and a pm is a personal message or email :)

jaemar
16-12-05, 12:31 PM
I am also a happy RICE float owner. Had mine for several months now and just love it. Even though they are based in Vic, I know that they are selling floats interstate now that their reputation is spreading.

undergraduate
17-12-05, 04:12 AM
OK OK OK - totally no idea - but whats the difference between these messages and a personal message?

jjm
17-12-05, 04:32 AM
personal means you go into my profile and send me an email so that then i can send you the Rice Floats phone number without plastering it all over the internet in case there are privacy issues or whatever - but I've done that now and I'm sure they won't mind. :) :)

jaemar
17-12-05, 07:40 AM
Or you could just send me a normal email at jaemar1@bigpond.net.au and I can send you a photo of my float so you can get an idea what they are like. (didn't know if I was allowed to post pic here or not).

undergraduate
17-12-05, 08:26 AM
Thanks but I have spoken to RICE floats (thanks to JJM's email) and they will be sending me all the details I need - but thanks anyway.