PDA

View Full Version : What is Oakey like?

simigirl75
30-12-05, 10:58 AM
Hi

my fiance and myself are considering moving down to Oakey in a year or two. He is in the army so he could transfer down and I would happily throw my job in (mmmm ok maybe with alittle stress).

Oh we will be there in a few weeks if we win any decent money in the New Year's Eve lotto draw. We have only 10 mega quick picks hahaha. Get the hint I really want to move???

What is Oakey like for those that actually know of Oakey. I just would like to know if it is a horsey area? What are land prices like (acreage)?

Ok so for now I am just fantasing about moving but hey a girl has to dream and may be we will eventually leave Townsville. It is a nice place up here but not many places to trail ride and it is very dry most of the year. Not enough shows to go and watch either. I just want somewhere abit greener where I can make some horsey friends to trail ride with, bbq's and maybe even join an ARC.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/anixmasfox.gif

Simone ~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses ~

Bundygal
30-12-05, 11:40 AM
HI Simone,

I have a mate that lives in Oakey I could get him to send me some papers from up there with some land prices or something.
We are in the process of selling our house here in Brisbane and moving to Dalby onto 100acres now in terms of prices in the area I dont know about Oakey but Dalby isnt that far from there and we have our eye on a really nice 100acre block with a 5 bedroom (no not typo) FIVE bedroom old queenslander that is fully renovated new kitchen bathroom freshly painted loads more just the outside needed a paint job. and it was only $175,000.00 it also had a huge dam and fully fenced huge amount of good usuable land and also lots of good timber for all your post and rail fencing. all this and just 20minutes out of town. and Dalby has everything there. BIGW, Coles, schools etc etc even a maccas woohoo.

there are heaps of the same kinds of properties out there for sale.

Check out www.realestate.com.au thats where we found that one.

Dont worry mate I am with ya in the dreaming department we still have to sell our house before we can move and its been on the market for nearly 2 years on and off due to being half way renovated we are finishing that off then it goes back on so still gonna be a while before we will get to our dream property:(

simigirl75
30-12-05, 12:43 PM
Hi Sam

getting your mate to send you up some papers would be fantastic thanks :) I grew up in Burpengary- North of Brissy. I remember when I was young going to Dalby once and it was dry. Is your property really dry or do I have a bad memory?
Does your property have running water? Gosh it does sound fantastic though. Really it does......maybe we buy now and rent it out until then. Here I go dreaming again :)
Yes we would have to sell our place too. We are on small acreage and I really want enough to actually have a couple of paddocks and riding area.
Stay in touch incase we do move down that way. I would love to know some people if we do move down that way. Fingers crossed.

Simone is sitting on the comp chair with fingers crossed whilst typing. I really wanna have a good win on the lotto!!! :P

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/myhorse.jpg

Simone ~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses ~

pauper
30-12-05, 01:08 PM
No fair i thought i read that you might be moving to Vic,and i had all ready planned all the lovely rides we could do. we have the army here too and a really high crime rate which means more jails and jobs for prison officers, so come to Vic pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
Very sad and upset Pauper

simigirl75
30-12-05, 01:31 PM
"Chuckles" if only we could afford to buy in Vic! Oh but how about you move to Qld? How great would that be :) Hahaha but if I win some lotto dollars I will definately shout you a holiday to Qld to visit me Pauper. On my wonderfully beautiful horse property of course with so many lovely nags for you to choose from :)

Oh if only............hands are now in prayer positioning (if that is what you call it)....now how do I start this off?
Ok then here goes.."Dear God lets not waste time here, pretty pleasssssssssseee let me win some lotto dollars!! Enough for a lovely place to own mortgage free and some money in the bank so I can quit my job and start my own little business off and so Pauper can come and visit me often :D"

Nicko
30-12-05, 01:37 PM
You might find the winter nights in Oakey a little cooler than Townsville. Quite often it is colder than Stanthorpe, and gets below freezing on a regular basis.

simigirl75
30-12-05, 01:40 PM
Wow bring on the central heating huh!!! I spent one night in Stanthorpe years ago and I remember all the doonas we had on the bed. I could hardly get out of bed in the morning as they weighed so much. Mmmm I will have to toughen up or buy some really good winter gear!

pauper
30-12-05, 01:49 PM
Oooh that just reminded me of a joke for tommorrow FRIDAY FUNNIES
(hope i didn;t read it here in the first place) must write it down be fore i forget, back now.
If i was lucky enough to win 32 million i would probaly have a heart attack and then could only spend some of the money on my funeral lol
But seriously if just one family won all that money what on earth could they spend it on? i could give every member of my immediate family 1 million each and still have a heart attack amount left
I just reread some of your post you shouldn't have wished for some dollars to shout pauper a holiday as God will probaly send you the exact amount of a plane ticket and no more and then your stuck with me lol
Pauper

simigirl75
30-12-05, 01:55 PM
Hahaha but I would only tell you if it was worth telling you. Imagine Pauper having you come to stay with no fancy horse for you to ride :) No I am not greedy, I don't want all that money just some of it to make me comfortable. And even if I didn't buy a fancy horse, we have two so you could ride one :) Just pretty place would make it such a nicer ride and your stay so much more worthwhile :).

pauper
30-12-05, 02:13 PM
Does it really get cold in Queensland or are you guys just tricking me? we went there on hols and it was like those ads beautiful one day perfect the next
Pauper

gg_vice
30-12-05, 03:18 PM
"Beautiful one day, stinking hot the next; and the next; and the next....."
Hey Simigirl, thinking about deserting us ?! :-)
I've been half thinking about the Mackay area, nip across to the Whitsunday Islands, nice hilly area that actually gets some rain *sigh* Never going to happen, 'the family' has lived here in Townsville that long, if I hear "Oh, like the suburb" when I say my name one more time....
Yes, I've done the lotto daydream this week as well. Hubby actually said we could buy a horse stud if we won the BIG ONE, but I only want 4 or 5 good horses (I'm not greedy LOL!).
Back to daydreaming.....

PS Sorry not to catchup Simone (sick kids), but I'll get there eventually :-)

simigirl75
30-12-05, 04:25 PM
Yes Pauper in some areas of Qld it can get cold but if you don't like the cold move to Townsville. The winter period isn't that cold and it doesn't last for that long.

Gg-vice I have seen your posts about your sick little boy. I hope he is recovering well. Yep I don't go back to work until the 5th so if you get the chance to catch up let me know :)

Keith and I actually considered Mackay as I think it is beautiful, his parents live there and my sister and brother inlaw are considering moving there, if he gets a job at some mine out that way.

Actually now I think of it if we won the lotto we could afford to buy there. I looked at the real estate prices the other day and almost fell off my chair. Gosh though it would be fantastic to live there.

Yep I could handle just a few more horses. One stunning fresian stallion wouldn't go astray :D How would you like to ride that Pauper?
:D

Oh well back to my dreaming for now..........

tiffany
31-12-05, 12:45 AM
Oakey is a small country town on the Darling Downs - you are about 157klm from Brisbane and about 30 Klm from Toowoomba - where you would need to go to work as there is little in Oakey - Oakey is predominately an air base, an army air base. Its mostly farming, crops, beef etc - its flat gets dam cold in the winter and can get hot in the summer, follows Toowoomba weather really! Has the usual touristy facilities oh and Bernborough, the race horse was born there, like a lot of good gallopers are, the pasture on the downs is pretty good! Your horse comps would be around Towoomba, Gatton which both have indoor arenas , Toowoomba has its own 'Royal Show' and a really good Dressage club, other than that you would need to make the journey Bris side, so you are looking at a couple of hours travelling at least. I can sympathise about Townsville I lived there for quite a while before moving to the Gold Coast !!

eurabbie
31-12-05, 12:54 AM
Am I the only one in NSW???

Autumn
31-12-05, 02:39 AM
sorry Simi - IM going to win the lottery!!! And you should move to VIC, its much nicer here. QLD is WAY too hot (says she as its already 33 deg outside and only 10.30am !)

simigirl75
31-12-05, 04:14 AM
I guess I would have to have a good wonderful think about where we would live if we won the lotto. I guess I would also have to consider my partner too :D.

Gosh isn't wonderful to dream especially giving up my job........oh how great would that be.....mmmmm Simi is back into her day dreams.

Well Autumn I am not greedy. I don't want all the 32 million so there will be enough for us to share with even a few others :D

equinepete
31-12-05, 04:30 PM
Oakey has a very good Vet Clinic - akin to the Camden and Scone Vet Clinics in NSW and the Werribee Clinic in Victoria. Your horse would be in extremely good care although expensive - may you NEVER need such a facility.
Dressage, Eventing, Showjumping and Western type competitions will be close to you and they ARE competitive. The roads are a delight to travel on and you're not far from the Brisbane, Sunshine and Gold Coast comps - and then there are heaps of Ag Shows close to you for Hacking and general Halter classes.
It can be really hot in summer but at least it's a type of dry heat - but I must admit it can be so hot that it's uncivilised x( but I come from a cool Tablelands climate . . . . as for cold . . just put on warmer layers ;-)
As for renting and or buying I haven't a clue - why not do a search on the Net then at least you'll have a vague idea of land prices.
Enjoy Oakey.