PDA

View Full Version : Baby on board

sunday
12-03-06, 11:51 AM
Sometimes I lift my (nearly 2 yr old) daughter up onto the front of my saddle and I get on behind and we ride around with me holding onto her with one hand. My horse is quiet and we only walk. She loves it! (of course)
Whaddya reckon, am I an idiot?

improv
12-03-06, 03:01 PM
Yes.

There are no guarantees no matter how quiet the horse is.

Always have a helmet on and have someone competent leading the horse and someone competent holding a belt/harness on the toddler so that they can be lifted out of harms way if neccessary.

No matter how much they love it and it's great to have them feel the motion of a horse, it's not worth the tiniest bit of risk.

Zorro
12-03-06, 03:48 PM
Sunday ,Sunday Sunday……!
You know the answer, that’s why you ask. There is nothing more important to you than your child and horse has right to do something stupid once a year.

You do it again and I will call you Monday.
Zorro

sunday
12-03-06, 04:05 PM
Sigh....I know. Probably should not do it again. Think will just get her a rocking horse. She did always wear a helmet (so don't ring social services!)

improv
13-03-06, 12:34 AM
Forget the 'probably' bit, Sunday!!!

The rocking horse sounds like a good fill-in.

Get searching around the local Pony Clubs, etc. for those with 'ideal' toddlers ponies and put 'dibs' on some that the rider's may outgrow in a year or two. (The best are always snapped up well ahead)