PDA

View Full Version : In Need of a Holiday

Miss M
12-04-06, 07:59 AM
Am just wondering how other horse owners who manage their horses & other animals on their own properties ever manage to get away for a break.
I don't have access to family members who can help and partner and I have only managed to get away for 2 night in last 3 years.
Any suggestions as to where to advertise for experiences "farm- sitters " etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

claire
12-04-06, 08:07 AM
There are a couple of people around the mornington peninsula that could help you out. Whereabouts are you located? There are people that will come and feed and rug and feed other pets daily....

MindyMoo
13-04-06, 01:45 PM
Hi there, where abouts do you live, how many animals do you need cared for and for how long do you rekon?? I live in qld but would be more than happy to help out if I can - give you guys a well earned break -email me if you wish - therapets@optusnet.com.au
Just thought I would offer to help!
have a happy safe and fun easter
cheers ;)

have a wicked day
smooches
MindyMoo ;)

simigirl75
13-04-06, 02:57 PM
Hi

Well my dad was going to take care of my house and animals for my partner and I when we went on our honeymoon. I invited Pauper (yes from cyberhorse)to our wedding and she was really happy to have a come and have a holiday. She was going to stay at my house.

After telling her my concerns about my dad not being too horsey and not trusting him to keep my cat indoors Pauper offered to stay here whilst we are away. I trust Pauper so much more then my dad and Pauper is really excited about having a holiday away from Melbourne and it isn't going to be too expensive for her as she will be able to use our car, ride my horses and meet Ggvice (added bonus ;)). It works out for the both of us.

If you have someone you could have come and stay at your house (yes someone trusted with your house and animals) may be give a few dollars towards the travelling costs so it keeps the costs down for them too so it is a win-win situation as they can have a holiday too. Otherwise you might have to pay someone to come and feed them daily. I prefer to have someone here with them to keep an eye on things.

Good luck :)

Simone ~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses ~
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/myhorse.jpg

Red Dun
14-04-06, 12:28 AM
What a win/win situation for you and Pauper Simigirl? Isn't it nice that you have someone that would do that for you so that you can enjoy your honeymoon? Very good of you Pauper.
I work away from home for work quite a lot (a couple of years ago I only had 7 weeks of the whole year that I didn't travel!) so I depend on having someone reliable to look after my animals, particularly my horses.
After having one person, who is a friend and has horses herself, who after only a weekend away in September I found my two aged horses without a scrap of water in their bathtub, I made sure I found someone else.
The new person is great but it does cost a lot of money. She charges $25 a visit, therefore $50 a day, which adds up if you're away for a while. For that she rugs and unrugs horses, feeds 7 horses, waters pot plants (and there's about 100 of them), feeds fish, rugs and unrugs dog, feeds dog and gives heartworm tablet, gives aged horse his Cushing Disease tablet, fills water troughs, turns sprinklers on gardens (bore water), brings cats inside for the night and brings birds inside each night and put them out each morning. So I feel I get my money's worth to be honest! If you compare that to taking the two cats and one dog to a cattery/kennel (and because the cats are 15 1/2 and 13 1/2 they are charged for extra care - so $20 each per day) then I think that the fees are okay.
Of course, it is better if you could get a live-in sitter as previously suggested. Whichever option you choose I would try them out on weekend away trips initially to ensure that animals are fed and watered and cared for correctly so that when you do decide to take a longer break you can do so without problems.
LOL - but my lady does expect a daily phone call even when I am overseas to check on babies!
"I'd give up chocolate ..... but I'm no quitter!"

Werdun
14-04-06, 12:33 AM
Round bales and auto waterers are wonderful. It is a constant problem for me because I am away with work so much (no more than a week though) and occasionally partner has to go away too. I am happy to leave them with this arrangement while I'm away (if something is obviously drastically wrong, horsey neighbours will stop in) and main concern is what rugs to put on if any. For more than a couple of days, the dog goes to my Dad's.

The good thing about this arrangement for longer holidays is that you don't have to rely on people being there EVERY day...you can just ask someone to poke their head in every few days to check water, perhaps put in another bale, etc. Of course, this arrangement would depend a bit on your own set-up and other factors (ie, wouldn't suit founder-prone horses, etc)

Katherine

"You can achieve more with a smile and a gun than just a smile."

pauper
14-04-06, 12:48 AM
Hmmm have just realised i am lucky agisting, while i'm away looking after Simi's place, my Daughter and agistment owner will be looking after our boy, so will be just like i am still here, except no nagging coming from me lol.
Miss M if you belong to a horsey club can you ask one of the members to help out?
Cheers Pauper

Nuts are better covered with chocalate!

MindyMoo
14-04-06, 02:34 AM
Hey Miss M
I realise we don't know each other but I come with references lol (honstely) and if you wish I could come and look after ur place and ur babies for you whilst you guys have a much deserved break and then I might get to see more of this great country of ours?? Just a thought for you - but some pplon here know me and would prob give me a ref ........
therapets@optusnet.com.au and I do animal massage and stuff so ur babies will be well cared for and well treated - let me know if you are interested and I will arrange some refs for you ok?
hope you have a great day cheers
me ;0)

have a wicked day
smooches
MindyMoo ;)

Autumn
14-04-06, 02:41 AM
havent been away with husband since we got married 8 years ago. one of us is always at home. (2 horses, 3 dogs, 2 birds, 20+ chooks)

Farm sitters are great - we have a local lady who is talking about doing it.

Shorty
14-04-06, 04:13 AM
Hi Miss M,

Depending on where you are, my husband and I could house-sit for you. We are based in Melbourne. Have house-sat many friends places who have pets. I had the same problem a while ago when had horsey at home and not able to get away even for the weekend. Very frustrating!! Can understand how you feel. PM me if you want to talk.

Shorty.

Fi Fi
15-04-06, 03:56 AM
We are off to NZ next week for 3 weeks. A horsey friend was going to house sit 2 horses and cat but is unable to do so now. My neighbour is going to visit and feed the cat twice a day (with cuddles) and the horses are (gulp) going to a new agistment place up the road. I'v never left my horses with somone I don't know before. I've been up to check the place out (and the paddocks, and the fences and the water, and the shelters...LOL) and it seems very nice. The woman who runs it seems very pleaseant. They are going to be hard fed every day with hay in the mornings and rugged at night. I'm supplying the feed and hay and it is $25 per horse per week, plus $2 a day each for rugging.

I was going to put the cat in the cattery, but it was $15 per day! How does that work??? Let's face it, cats aren't exactly labour-intensive...

MindyMoo
16-04-06, 02:51 AM
Again All I offer my services - perhaps we should start a farm lookin after service - if you guys wish to PM me or email me I would be happy to look after ur babies at their/ur place so they are comfy loved and kept in their normal routine
any questions or if you are interested please email me would be more than happy to help in any way if I can

hey Simigirl can you PM me please need to ask you something
have a great easter all be well and safe and have fun
cheers ;0)

have a wicked day
smooches
MindyMoo ;)

Suzie Q
17-04-06, 12:17 AM
You lucky duck Simigirl.

Yes I would trust Pauper with my house, horses, cat and dad, but not with chocolate!!! You will have to take it all and wrap it up and put a day on it so as she can unwrap one per day to have and NO MORE. Especially if she has joined GUNNA!!!