PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for?

jnr.eventer
23-11-99, 01:33 AM
I am currently looking for my next horse. I want to do EFA eventing, but I'm not sure what sort of horse to look for! I have done limited pony club gr.1 (same as PN). I am 16, and am currently working 2 young horses. Should I look for a horse that has done intermediate, one thats done novice, young/old....Any comments would be appreciated.

vickie
23-11-99, 02:20 AM
I don't know what state you are in but if you are in Victoria, I would suggest talking to some of the senior members of the Victorian Eventers Assoc. Our next meeting is monday 13 December. Alternatively Sharon Ridgway is a very good source of knowledge for what horses are up for sale at the moment so she may be able to help you.

What you are looking for will really depend on what is your experience and where you want to go in the future with your riding and having a discussion with your instructor or coach should be very beneficial.

Linda
23-11-99, 03:47 AM
This is not really a question of what to look for, but what can you afford to look for.
The difference in price between an intermediate with potential to go on and a pre-novice horse with potential is quite staggering!
Your ambition will also have an influence on your decision. Horses with 3DE potential/ability are few and far between.
You should be able to compete in Jnr Pre-Novice classes on your pony club grade 1 horse unless he is now retired.
Definitely discuss this with your instructor as they will have the best idea of your ability, both riding and financial.

jnr.eventer
23-11-99, 05:03 AM
Thankyou both for the constructive comments. I have found a horse that is a semi-retired advanced eventer (as in it isn't highly campaigned at advanced, only lightly, and does OI's) and is 15yrs old. Is this a bad idea? I will definately be talking to my instrucor about it, but I would also like others comments. my worries are that a) the resale value will be very low, compared to the asking price now, and b) that I simply won't have fun because either the horse is too complicated for a junior, or that I am very much restricted to the events I can enter. I haven't tried it yet.
Thanks!

Linda
24-11-99, 03:37 AM
Depending on the vet report, you could hope to get 2 or 3 more years of competition from this horse. However you might want to consider the case of NOBLE YORK, an 18YO horse competing in the Adelaide **** 3DE! Which only goes to prove that you just can't predict for certain what you can expect from horses.

It is also difficult to predict the re-sale price but it would be fair to expect that he is not going to appreciate in value from now. It may be that you will be his last home and it might be better to think along those lines rather than hope that his sale will be able to finance the next horse.

What is more important is how you feel about the horse when you ride him. At 15, his way of going will be established and you need to make sure it will suit your riding ability and ambition.

As to the classes you can compete in, you will be able to get a junior eventing card (EFA) for him and start competing at Junior Pre Novice. Of course you will be able to ride at pony club level as well.

One last thing, expect him to have some sort of a soundness problem that you will have to manage. Don't be too disappointed and assess the risk and/or management costs against his suitability before making your decision.

Good luck!!

JEP
24-11-99, 11:50 PM
Please be careful what ever you do! The best money I ever spent was on an old broken down schoolmaster for my daughter many years ago, He had been competing at Intermediate Level, then due to a tendon injury was put in a paddock for 12 months. We paid a lot of money at the time, took my daughter to have a ride on him, she could hardly ride him! She had been PC eventing up to grade 3 on ponies and galloways, the move to a big horse was very very different. Even though she struggled at first I bought him! (silly woman you might say) but this horse was SOOOO HONEST. I then proceeded to get her a good instructor, eg Del Ogilvy and then onto Robyn Brown. It was only a matter of days before she got use to him by just riding around the farm, no pressure, just having fun. Then with a lesson a week, she was on the road to having a wow of a time eventing, first at PC level then onto Jrn EFA. She ended up winning a 2de at Wandin a placing at Melb 3de etc etc We always took great care of his leg, (which never gave us trouble) always made sure he was more than fit (so as not to irritate the leg or his old age) They ended up on many Victorian teams and had a ball. This horse could get her out of trouble as he had been there and done that! He would not jump at all cost, if he was wrong at a jump he would stop, This is so important! If they jump at all cost, this is when falls will happen! She knew that if she placed him wrong he wouldnt jump, so she just had to get it right! If you find the right schoolmaster, brokendown or not old or not ......GO FOR IT!!!! Spend all you can, money cannot buy experience. Our old horse did his last 3de at 19 competing for Victoria at Naracoorte a few years ago, and finished with a reasonable score. This is one mother that is forever thankfull to that wonderful horse, he now lives a full life in one of our paddocks, and yes we still ride him, and yes I think he would still love to go eventing, but he has done his job. By all means have a young horse coming up behind your schoolmaster, but a schoolmaster IS the way to go.

Silver
26-11-99, 10:44 PM
Hear hear! The last message is just so true it can never be emphasised enough. Many promising riders are lost to the sport through losing heart in the battle with green horses. And the bit about not jumping at any cost -YES - that is essential for a green rider or they are in big trouble. Those horses are for the very experienced only...

look for an oldie and have fun ... and owners of oldies ... pass them on please and give someone else a chance don't just stick them in the paddock at 14 or 15 it is such a waste.

We bought an old FEI horse years ago for my daughter, and she had fun with him and then ended up riding internationally all over Europe on another horse we bought partly trained and brought on to GP. She wouldn't have done it if we had bought a promising youngster in the first instance - now we can look at the nice youngsters and she will not be frustrated and they will not be wasted! And eventing is no different.

Cheers!