PDA

View Full Version : looking for hay in Northern VIC

undergraduate
13-10-06, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know of hay for sale in Northern VIC? (Oaten, pasture etc not rich clover / lucerne type) at a reasonable price? Any size bales.
Thanks heaps in advance if anyone can help me out.

Mairead
13-10-06, 06:24 AM
Sorry, we are in VIC and having the same problem. Would've put you onto our guy, but he isn't selling to any new customers anymore. Sorry. All i can suggest is word of mouth, hopefully you get onto someone with a good suply.

Mairead

my_boy
13-10-06, 02:58 PM
I too am in Victoria, North East of Melbourne, between Eltham and Yarra Glen and would be extremely grateful if anyone knows where I can buy hay for a reasonable price.
Please guys, put your thinking caps on as we need feed for 12 horses!!!

my boy - my love!!!

digger001
13-10-06, 03:02 PM
:) me too!!!!!!!!! me too!!!!!!!!! :)
i'm in mansfield vic will travel!

Leahrydeary
14-10-06, 01:15 AM
Maybe you guys should get together, pool your resources, & find someone with a truck, and go interstate and but it from a farmer, and bring it back to Vic..

NYPPER
14-10-06, 02:45 AM
Out Colac way usually has hay when everywhere else is out. Have a look in the Weekly Times newspaper "classifieds" section, or ring some of the local stores (feed, pubs, etc) in Colac for phone numbers of people selling hay.

my_boy
14-10-06, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys for your suggestions - not a bad idea about getting a truck load from somewhere - anyone else in North East Melbourne interested in looking into this possibility as a joint venture.
Email or PM me!!!

my boy - my love!!!

RH Bobbie
14-10-06, 10:38 PM
We picked up a couple of bales of hay from out yea way (hehe all rhymy and stuff :P) last week, it was $10 a bale and it was practically straw :(. The boys thought it was bedding! Im just collecting a few bales from here there and everywhere and storing them... it'll be a real mixed bag but at least we'll have something!
Also cutting one of our paddocks for hay this year as well! :D Very happy bout that one!
hope you all have luck in finding a supplier!

improv
14-10-06, 11:45 PM
I had a call from friends at Colac a few days ago searching for hay suppliers.
Looks like they're not expecting the usual supply there, either.
Scarey.

I've already grabbed shedded hay left over from last year, just in case there's not enough this season.

Alpeony
15-10-06, 12:21 AM
I am doing as others are doing and grabbing some bales here and there and storing them. It is last years and not the best quality in the world but it will be something for the horses to eat. I am getting some lucerne as well to supplement nutritionally with the poorer quality grass hay. There isn't going to be much cut around Ballarat and there is usually hay everywhere around here. I fI can pick up some new seasons stuff when it comes (no matter what the price) that will be a bonus.

digger001
16-10-06, 10:00 AM
my feed store just run out of lucerne
i got the last 2 bale
they said thats the last that they can get
and i've not been able to find any hay in town

i can get my hands on
oaten hay 5X4 round bales for $117.81 each.(including fraight)
pasture hay 5X4 round bales 90%rye 10% lucerne at 182.45per bale (inc fraight)

is that about right i have no idea as i've only used grass and lucerne hay and some times clover
o i'm in mansfeild victoria