PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Claw

fire_ball
17-10-06, 02:51 PM
Has anyone had any success using devil's claw as an alternative to bute for long-term pain/anti-inflammatory? We're not at that stage - yet. But my boy is currently on bute/second day, with a warning that its potentially long term.

What would the dosage rate be for a big 15.1 QHx gelding?

I found a herb website that recommended making a liquid version by soaking the herb in 80-grade(???) vodka for two weeks. At this rate, I'll be fighting the horse for the vodka I think!

Going to visit a new farrier on Sat. Fingers crossed.

Mel

Ding Dong
17-10-06, 04:48 PM
I'm no expert on herbals but I was in the same predicament until a couple of months ago when I took my T/B off Bute (also a long term thing) and now have him on a mix of White Willow Bark and Devils Claw as an anti-inflamm. I personally am seeing fantastic results with no ill-effects. Make sure you do some research first - there's a host of 'herbalists' out there willing to take your money! I am giving my boy three small scoops (the little ones that hold perhaps a tablespoon) each day steeped in a cup of boiling water. Seems to be working for me!

Ding Dong
17-10-06, 04:49 PM
Oh and keep the Vodka for yourself....!

Mr Mac
17-10-06, 11:01 PM
You could try contacting Victoria Ferguson for expert advice...
http://www.herbalhorse.com/index.html

Oedin
17-10-06, 11:58 PM
Am using it with great success on my old appy, 2/3 tablespoon daily for him (he's a very chubby 15.2h).

Emily Miller
18-10-06, 12:55 AM
Hi Firbe-ball,
Im just wondering what are you planning on using devils claw for?
Im only asking because im considering starting my boy on some herbs to assist with his navicular and wanted to see if there were others out there using herbs for such problems? and wehether or not they are working at all?

fire_ball
18-10-06, 12:59 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies so far!

Emily, my horse has had this mysterious "sore back" for months on and off now, and after getting the chiro and bowen therapist to work on him, a vet friend had a look at him after he started dragging a hind leg.

She pronounced his feet to be the cause of his trouble, and I feel awful for not spotting it earlier - however the farrier I previously used DID NOT pick this up, despite the fact I told him he was sore, and uneven, and could he please stand the horse up a bit because his toes were long and soles flat.

We are unsure if this is a genetic problem or something to do with enviornmental conditions. He's going to a remedial farrier on Saturday to see if he can be saved :(

The devil's claw is for his "worst" foot - right fore which has become slightly laminitic.

He's in a 30x30m paddock with minimal grass, fed grass hay and two feeds of oaten chaff, sunflower seeds, equilibrium, garlic (fresh), 2x dessertspoons of rosehips daily.

I want to start him on seaweed tomorrow, and as he is currently on bute (1 sachet per two days on a honey sanga) I want to move him to devil's claw instead.

Stay posted, I'm following *your* story closely for tips as well!

Mel

Emily Miller
18-10-06, 01:15 PM
Im all ears Mel!
Im battling with this lameness, pain issue at the moment too and i tell you it is a serious battle!
I have found the best thing so far for Jimmy was going barefoot, he is moving more easily and freely now.
Im going to start him on some herbs as well to see how that goes.
He is VERY stiff and i think has some back discomfort aswell, so im thinking of getting him some massage's every so often.
My trimmer was telling me, if they have pain in their feet, they often have pain elsewhere as they have to compensate for their feet not working as they should be, hence bad back etc.
There is ALOT out there, and lots of things to try! Thats what keeps me positive, its just about finding the treatment that works the best for our horses.
Definately keep me posted, and ill let you know how im going! Hopefully ( fingers crossed) we will find a *miracle* asap!

fire_ball
18-10-06, 01:47 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the replies so far!

Emily, my horse has had this mysterious "sore back" for months on and off now, and after getting the chiro and bowen therapist to work on him, a vet friend had a look at him after he started dragging a hind leg.

She pronounced his feet to be the cause of his trouble, and I feel awful for not spotting it earlier - however the farrier I previously used DID NOT pick this up, despite the fact I told him he was sore, and uneven, and could he please stand the horse up a bit because his toes were long and soles flat.

We are unsure if this is a genetic problem or something to do with enviornmental conditions. He's going to a remedial farrier on Saturday to see if he can be saved :(

The devil's claw is for his "worst" foot - right fore which has become slightly laminitic.

He's in a 30x30m paddock with minimal grass, fed grass hay and two feeds of oaten chaff, sunflower seeds, equilibrium, garlic (fresh), 2x dessertspoons of rosehips daily.

I want to start him on seaweed tomorrow, and as he is currently on bute (1 sachet per two days on a honey sanga) I want to move him to devil's claw instead.

Stay posted, I'm following *your* story closely for tips as well!

Mel

fire_ball
18-10-06, 02:05 PM
Arg, sorry for the double post!

Yes, I'm preparing to batten down for the worst here...

Reading Victoria Ferguson's book, I'm going to give Devil's Claw a try, as well as 1 spoon seaweed, and 1:4 comfrey and olive oil for the hooves. I've been using teatree oil in water to keep infection at bay on the hooves, but the comfrey oil sounds promising.

Keep eyes peeled .... Sound horses for the future thread. *grits teeth*

Mel

Emily, may I ask? The quote at the bottom of your posts? Direct reference to anything in particular ie. a particular sale, cull, experience, disciple (Standies) etc? Have you read "They shoot horses don't they" by Jane Duckworth?