PDA

View Full Version : Bandages or boots for dressage trai

WWBreezy
06-11-06, 07:50 AM
What do you use and why? I have been advised bandages offer too much support but boots lack flexibility and heat up. I've tried both, each seem to do the job fine, but I am now concerned about long term use. I use 10 minute box boots, anyone tried lining them with sheepskin? Any advice would be gratefully recieved, thanks guys. :)

mackiemad
06-11-06, 08:05 AM
personally i use 10 minute box boots as well. i use the ones with felt instead of neoprene as it is a natural fibre it breathes better and they are machine washable. i don't have time to spend 10 minutes on bandages mainly bacause i am still at uni and have to steal what riding time i can. and as i am unco it seriously take sme ten mins to put bandages on! i used to use them with my old tb but ended up switching bacause they are harder to wash, well the pads are anyway. i think they tend to be a bit delicate. but with boots you just chuck em in the washing machine with any horse towels or saddlecloths that need washing and bob's your uncle!

LC
06-11-06, 08:15 AM
These are the boots I use, look like bandages only easier to put on and they breathe! They are the Stretch & Flex ones. And at the moment if you buy 2 pairs you get a free saddlecloth.
http://www.equilibriumproducts.com

WWBreezy
06-11-06, 11:02 AM
Thanks Mackiemad & LC, i've checked them out and both styles of boots are an improvement on mine, thanks. Will just check out the $$$$....

agent smith
06-11-06, 11:25 AM
i have given up using exercise boots when im riding in the arena - and the world hasnt ended!! - when im riding out i use jumping boots or 10 minute box neoprene boots. is there any reason why i SHOULD be using boots when im riding on a good surface??

dressage_rox
06-11-06, 12:29 PM
I NEVER use bandages because even the most experienced user can inadvertently end up creating a pressure point on the leg. I also never use boots unless i'm jumping and this may be blind luck or whatever but i have NEVER EVER had any problems with soundness and my horses have very very good legs. Had xrays done by vets during checkup a while ago and they said they haven't seen horses with such good legs in a long time. In saying that though, i really do look after them.

Jumping Jack
06-11-06, 12:38 PM
I only use open front boots, got some ROMA ones that were cheap and seem to fit my horse well. I used to bandage but stopped due to time - and I was worried about pressure points.
I've never had a problem with my horse's legs.

sydney33
06-11-06, 01:00 PM
i dont use boots or bandages either for dressage (which mostly all i do). i do put on boots if i free jump him but that is all. never had any problems with his legs at all.
at comps you are not allowed to use them anyway and i often see people forget (or almost forget) to take them off before they go in the arena.

CM
06-11-06, 01:22 PM
Bandages and boots DO NOT provide "support". The only sort of bandaging that provides support is a tight-ish bandage applied over - say- a tendon injury, and worn by a confined horse. What they CAN provide is protection from knocks and bangs which can lead to splints and tendonitis, among other things. I tend to use open fronted jumping boots, because they are light, don't heat up the leags too much and most importanty are quick to put on and easy to keep clean. They also protect against the worst sorts of injuries - a hind toe going into a front tendon, and also function as brushing boots. The only time I'll use bandages is when I want to look posh and colour co-ordinated. (which isn't that often.)

LindaH
06-11-06, 04:21 PM
I'm with CM. White bandages with pads for posh occasions. Otherwise open front Weatherbeeta jump boots all round and felt lined leather bell boots for training. I've got a big moving unco young WB and we need all the protection we can get from bumps and knocks. She managed to open up a 3cm cut around her fetlock in the paddock the first day she had shoes on, and tended to step on herself while getting used to being ridden. She's a lot beter now, but I still like the protection the hard shelled boots offer, and the open front is a bit cooler. I found the neoprene ones cut too easily and my old gelding could destroy a set in one session. The fluffy sport medicine ones got full of grass seeds and burrs. I would hate to see what the fleecy ones would look like after a trip around the paddock.

CM
07-11-06, 02:01 AM
Given half an opportunity, my young horse can destroy neoprene boots - he eats them! He also tries to bite off the neoprene edges of the hard shelled boots unless I get them off him striaght away.