PDA

View Full Version : Foal injured-I'm fed up.

as41
18-11-06, 02:00 AM
My 12 month filly staked herself on a fence rail last night. We were told by the agistment peopple that it loooked like the leg was broken. I was in histerics and left work immediately, rang the vet and whent out there. She was not twalking at all and draging her fron leg when she tried.....Vet cam out and took her in the foat back to the clinic. she had a very deep puncture wound that has damaged muscles. Small chance of muscle paralysis in the leg but vet thinks she is doing o.k....

I have had absolutely enough of the place where I agist. Yes, we dont pay much but hubby and I have put loots of time and effort into fixing and mending gates and fences and cleaning up S*#t in the paddocks for 2 years now and this is the last straw. I have been absolutely frazzled by this and other things that are going on in my life and am at the stage where I am just not willing to risk my darlings anymore.

glen_lomond
18-11-06, 02:06 AM
as41,

That's terrible news, I really hope she'll be ok. Surely the owners of the place you agist have a duty to ensure the fences/gates etc are kept in good condition? Where is her puncture wound? where do you live? Maybe someone else on CH may know of better agistment near you.

Lisa an Gypsie
18-11-06, 02:06 AM
I understand your frustration, there are only three agistment places in town and tow of them are full...so where does that leave me? with the third, which does have 90% good fences but somehow my filly (1yo) managed to find the barbed wire fence and stake herself twice and rip lots of flesh open. Application of LOTS of honey (I used organic honey as I couldn't get manuka honey) and then changing to vitimin A ointment once the open wounds healed has made her wounds heal excellently. All within two weeks...

good luck with your filly

Cheers
Lisa

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lisaangypsie/Gemmaheadmorning.jpg

LisaL
18-11-06, 02:30 AM
contact the local council and see if they have a list of council owned agistment properties - some council's know all the vacant land they own and others don't. If they have a list of all the vacant land - then you apply for a lease - in my local council area it usually works out to $10 per week for the entire block of land, plus your liability insurance $500-$700.

You are responsible for the upkeep of the land, and the fencing - however at those rates it works out very affordable, you can usually agist other people's horses on it, and run the place the way you want to....

I always figure that spending money on safe fencing is a good investment against injuries.

giggles
18-11-06, 03:21 AM
I feel for you, must be the time of the month for injuries, we have out own land and the fences are very safe with electric fencing shelters. My young colt whom I was hoping to use for stud next year puntured his hind leg, vet came out yesterday sedated him, she shaved the area and had to cut of the skin around it because it was dying, the hole in his leg is the size of a 50cent piece and very deep, can fit a small fist in there. It was all cleaned out antibiotics were given, tetanus and a pain killer, he is now in the stables and I am having to hose this off twice daily, medications twice daily, the vet said that he will be ok, but we had planned to start taking him out next year to make a name for himself, hoping to take him to ISSA, the vet said that it will heal but more than likely he will have a scar there. He has been very good with all of this and taking his medications oraly, as he is fed up with injections.

so I do know where you are coming from, but as far as the aggistment I think that this is not very good.

I had people aggist here and they were very happy with this as I only charged 10.00 per week and I fed the horse as well as rugged when needed ( she provided the feed) I dont mind helping any one out and enjoy this

giggles

shuvlinschite
18-11-06, 03:31 AM
I might be wrong, but isn't there some liabilty on the owners of the property, if they are taking money from you, to kept the place clean and safe?
SS

gg_vice
18-11-06, 03:41 AM
Unfortunately, you could put some youngsters in million-dollar safest fencing you could find, and they would still find some way to injure themselves. But, it shouldn't be made easier for them by having unsafe fencing.
If you are paying agistment, then there must be some obligation for the property owner to ensure the fencing is safe.

as41
18-11-06, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys,

I am in the Yarra Valley area. The owner does not care. He uses agistment just for the cash. I like the idea of the council property thing and will investigate. I only pay $10 per horse per week but its almost too risky to stay there. For example, I have to fill up the water troughs every few days (dont mind at all) except that the hose has to reach about 30 metres but the hose is about 50 years old and so so holey and is just patched up and in sections that have been stcuk together.. Only have the water that comes out of the hose actually goes into the trough! I have asked for it to be replaced but it never has...Also, the owner has looke d all agistors on the property out of usiung the main large paddock because he want to lock it up for hay casue he knows he can get good $$$ for hay this year... But that means we have not enough grass to service the horses and not enough paddocks either... So I feel $10 is just rediculous for me to pay for just a load of trouble. The thing is that he has told me what you see is what you get...So I feel I either have to lump it or move...Also, I now dont feel I am being over cautions as my mares have never had troubles with fencing but i want to be careful of my babies. I cannot risk their lives anymore.. It woudl break my heart if something happended and I knew it was my fault for leaving them at that place!!!!!

If anyone does have any agistment available please let me know. I have been in touch with a lovely agistment place in Galdysdale (near Powelltown) already.

sunday
18-11-06, 04:37 AM
Please get your young horse out of places like this (shudder).
The majority of adult horses may (if you're lucky) be fine with NQR fencing...meaning metal stakes, barbed wire, plain wire with no stand-off electric etc.
BUT young horses are very very very accident prone.
I tell everyone, if you are going to have young horses they NEED the safest possible fencing. Because chances are they will run thru a fence at some stage. And if they do, it would be good if it was, for instance, a flexi-fence plastic type. Or at the least, a wooden and close- weave mesh. Unprotected wire of any kind is a death trap.
The Clydie stud near me had a filly foal run thru their electric fence, 2 strands of wire, somehow flip and loop it around her where she was found in the morning having recieved electric shocks all night.
She had to be put down.

Suzie Q
20-11-06, 02:02 AM
A week after we moved onto our property one of the agistors horse's broke his leg. He was in a pipe yard. You don't need fencing to end their life.

We do look after the fencing (and the hoses) at our place. However to cover ourselves we get you to sign that - by putting your horse in the paddock, that you agree the fencing is fine and that it is your responsibility to make sure it stays this way.

The pipe yards are still there and the paddocks are being changed to wooden fencing.

shandi
20-11-06, 02:14 AM
A friends filly, 9 mionths old, broke her neck in a 3 wooden railed paddock. I agree, accidents happen everywhere, even in the safest paddocks. Mine live in plain wire internals and boundary is barb and plain. I am lucky that I have not had any serious injuries in many years, but I am also careful who I paddock together, aand I think this is the reason I have very few fence accidents with my horses

Bounce
20-11-06, 03:04 AM
I understand that injuries, particularly with youngsters, are heartbreaking and also that finding good, or dare we even wish for it, excellent, agistment is difficult.

Also, I understand the argument that the owner of the agistment is selling a service and needs to be sure that that service is reasonable ie fences are sound.

But as someone has already pointed out, when can an agistment owner ever possibly guarantee that fencing will be injury free.

You've known that the fencing was poor. You know that youngsters are accident prone. You have known that the quality of the service was lacking. And you've continued to keep your horses there.

Whilst I know that there are sometimes just no alternatives, please don't blame the agistment owner for this injury.

Frustrating, yes. Heartbreaking, yes. But you are the only one who put your youngster in that paddock.

And by the way, $10 for anything is a bargain. I'd hardly call opening up your property for all and sundry, at any hour of the day, for $10, justing collecting cash.

Hope the filly improves quickly.

as41
20-11-06, 04:28 AM
Actually I am in now way blaming the owner as he does not have much to do with horses and yes I am the one who left them/put them there to start with. What I am saying is that I thought it would be o.k, tried hard to fix fences and gates but I just cannot do it to suit the needs of my little one. Actually the owner is a lovely person and has never been a problem...they are very accommodating in every way. Also my grown up horses just love it there and have no problems on the property but its just the little ones...

P.S Sorry for venting! It was just a very upsetting situation that I have created. Its heartbreaking when you are told that your baby might have a broken leg and come quick!!!Does everything have to be P.C or can you just have a bit of a "nag" every now and then.... We all have/do dont we??? So give us a break!!!!