PDA

View Full Version : Vic Bush Fires

Minx
14-12-06, 03:41 AM
Over here in the south/east of Melbourne I woke up to a very creepy kind of day, it is very smokie over here but its strange, you can smell the smoke in the air yet it just looks like a over cast day, but thismorning you could actually look at the sun :o and its very still out side, no breeze at all, its like the eye of the storm :(

suspension
14-12-06, 03:50 AM
I am in Croydon (VIC) atm and it is really still and yellow. I was up at Whitfield last Sunbday and the week before and it was amazing how orange everything appeared when the smoke grew thicker. Even the moon looked like it was on fire. Really creepy isn't it!

Minx
14-12-06, 03:57 AM
Yes it is creepy, I'm over closer to Cranbourne way and its not yellow here as yet, but still and you cant see the sky at all :( if it wasn't the fact that you can smell the smoke I would think it was just cloudy.

Any news on where the fires closes to us are?

firenne
14-12-06, 04:03 AM
I'm near Warrnambool, south west coast, and we are covered by smoke from the Stoneyford fires.

Shahron
14-12-06, 04:06 AM
We're near Cranbourne as well and putting the horses out this morning the sun was a clear orange/red orb hanging low over the trees. We thought it looked like Armageddon had arrived.....

Kylie27
14-12-06, 04:25 AM
I am at work as I type this response. I work in Bourke Street and I cannot even see the bay through our windows because of the thick smoke.

Last Saturday I could not even see 100mtrs in front of me as I drove down the Western Highway near Caroline Springs. The smoke was so thick that people had their fog lights on and were driving very slowly.

Very frightening stuff.

novocaine
14-12-06, 03:22 PM
i work in bourke st too! *waves* how creepy was it?? the moment i stepped out my door i could smell it, i was nearly crying on the tram thinking how bad it must be for the smoke to be like that in the city. i was up 15 floors and at that level you could only see to the next block and no further, really scary and horrible.

to anyone in the fires path, everyone with horses and homes at risk, people in the city are praying for you. everyone in my firm was talking about it and full of sympathy and worry. have your fire emergency plans ready in place and dont get caught unprepared! sending best hopes and wishes out to the country!!

LRT
14-12-06, 03:59 PM
In Ballarat it was really quite. Couldnt see the end of the street and when I went out it was even worse.

I hope all those affected are doing ok?