PDA

View Full Version : Headshaking/Capstar product

Sandra
01-03-01, 04:45 AM
Just wondering if there are any other people out there with a horse who suffers from Headshaking Syndrome and if you have tried any successful treatments for it? I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who might have tried the product CAPSTAR (produced by a company in the USA, very expensive and designed to treat Headshaking conditions for horses). I am getting very desperate here and have upcoming competitions that i fear i wont be able to compete in due to the headshaking problem that i have not yet found a cure for or working treatment for it.
if you have a headshaker or know of anyone who has tried this Capstar product - pls write!!
many thanks

Donna
01-03-01, 04:08 PM
Sorry I can't help but I'm wondering what is Headshaking Syndrome, if you don't mind educating me!!

Holly
01-03-01, 05:55 PM
I have a 17 yr old mare, who has more a head tossing habit, but it is more a toss than a shake. She will do it, espeacially when waiting for feed. Her 4yr old son also does it at times. Is this what you mean or does your horse shake its head sideways. Will be interested to hear more re your horses problem..

shelley penny
06-03-01, 02:28 PM
hi sandra ihave a horse with the headshaking problem who is being treated with capstar and i am delighted to say he is responding beautifully like you i had a horse that was just about unrideable when i found capstar it is not an instant cure but within 3 to 4 weeks i was able to compete sucessfully with him. ron at capstar is very suportive and helpfull and will answer any questionsyou have through email .i thought it sounded very expensive at first but now with my horse almost cured i feel it was a great investment and definately far cheaper than buying a new horse .if you wantany more info feel free to contact me just one more thing capstar is administered into the mouth by syringe and is not swabbable as it is all herhal. cheers shelley.

chinners
06-03-01, 03:53 PM
Hi! Sandra, Shelley, could either of you please explain in detail what it is that your horses do? We have a horse that shakes his head from side to side have had some very difficult moments with him, especially with general flatwork and basic SJ training. Problem seems to be settling down now, but I am very interested to hear what you have experienced.
cheers
Chinners

shelley penny
07-03-01, 02:41 PM
Hello Chinners The headshaking problem has many forms. My horse while you are riding he flicks his nose as if something hits him or very bad flies, he will also slap at his head with his front legs while going. He blows his nose a lot but these symptoms have improoved since he has been on the capstar treatment. If you go into the headshaking.com sight it will give you a lot more of the symptoms. Cheers Shelley

Pamela
07-03-01, 03:25 PM
My mare had headshaking syndrome when we first brought her. Her previous owner had thought it an allergy and had doped her to relieve the symtems. Three years later she hardly does it at all, (On the odd occassion when its really hot and the flies are driving her crazy) Steady hands and not giving up seemed the way to cure her, although there has been quite a lot of discussion in American email sites about headshaking - and there is some indication it is started by extreme sunlight!! Best of Luck!!

vps
07-03-01, 04:08 PM
I had a lovely showjumper about 10 years ago which I bought for next to nothing as he was a chronic headshaker. After quite a few tries at fining what the problem was he actually had mites. After being treated he took awhile to come to the party of not headshaking as he had been doing it for a few yrs. We ended up schooling this horse to Prix st George dressage, he won the NSW eventing champs and went B grade showjumping.

shelley penny
08-03-01, 02:35 PM
headshaking syndrome is quite different to earmites.it is more like allergic rhinitis which is ulcerations in the nasal tract.very painful. the horse is usually much worse in hot or humid weather. but really bad cases will react in any weather but to different degrees of severety.my horse had very red and angry looking skin inside his nostrils.but as he gets further into his capstar treatment this is improving as is his disposition .they can appear to become very angry for no reason but this is all part of the condition.
hope this answers some of your questions cheers Shelley

anja
09-03-01, 03:27 PM
ok i think i might have a very cheap and a ususlly ver succsessfull answer! we have had two head shakers, ok yeah both in the uk but same condition. The best solution and now comonly used by many people if to attach a nose net or a fly fringe to your nose band... ok looks a bit daft but really does help some horses. In Adelaide **** there was a horse show jumping with a fly fringe on its nose band i guess to to same advantage. In the uk you can now buy proper nose nets for head shakers but there are many variations . Even try a ""carrot bag"" those orange net ones just play around a bit before you splash out!

Sunny
08-04-01, 04:08 AM
Friend of mine's horse suffers from this condition. It comes and goes and seems worse in hot weater. She tried everything, had him scoped, treated for allergies, kept him stabled during the day, checked for ear mites, herbal remedies. More recently, he's responded dramatically to Bowen treatment. He's a relaxed, happy horse.

Sossie
08-04-01, 05:28 AM
Is the Capstar that you're referring to the same as Capstar for dogs?? Because the product for dogs is to kill fleas & if it's the same as for horses then I'd guess it was treating earmites. We had a horse that did head-shaking as an evasion to work - when things got a little difficult he'd decide he had 'things' in his ears, as he became more obedient the behaviour stopped. I'm sure there are many other reasons for it though.

DG
08-04-01, 10:12 AM
Does this headshaking also have symptoms of flicking the nose as though sand is hitting the horse of the face? I have a horse that when you ride in the sand arena, ( he is a Western Breed by the way ) he is fine while just jogging, but as soon as you push him out to an extended trot or canter he starts to flick his nose, ears forward as though looking for something to flick him on the face. He will pull his head into his chest or throw his head up. Is this the same as what you are calling Headshaking?