PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself worm count?

bluerider777
28-01-07, 03:50 AM
Does anyone have experience with a do it yourself worm count kit? I would like to try this but don't want to waste my money if it is too difficult or inaccurate (yes I can count!).

Also, any recommendations on what type of kit?

Thanks, Blue

Margie
30-01-07, 02:43 AM
It sounds like a great idea. I don't know of one, but if one was available that would help at the moment. I suppose part of it is having the skill to interpret your findings.
The new worming paste is working well. Still one more treatment to go. All diarrhea seems to have gone, but I would like to be able to test him when I want to so I can keep an eye on things rather than paying for the vet to check him. Why do you want a worm count kit?

DressageDreamer
30-01-07, 03:12 AM
I'd kinda assumed that you'd need a microscope etc (as I thought you'd usually not be counting worms, rather the eggs) ... anyone else got more info?

jodie
30-01-07, 03:34 AM
You would need a microscope and a Mcmaster slide. I have a book that describes how to do it. You also need to know what the worm eggs look like, as you can easily mistake a bubble or a bit of dirt for an egg.
You could get a lot of fecal egg counts done by a vet for what a decent microscope would cost. Probably enough to tell you if your worming program is working.