PDA

View Full Version : What The?

Prancing Pony
07-02-07, 06:06 PM
OK, went to look at a um, "Quarterhorse" a coupla days ago and heard what'd have to be the worst sales pitch ever!! It was supposed to be about 15hh and bombproof, got there and it wasn't an inch over 13hh and had never been ridden outside the arena!! No way this thing was QH, she couldn't remember where she got it from, like I said it was 13hh and VERY PETITE like maybe a riding pony, she had no papers for it and it wasn't branded when she got it so she put her stud brand on it. WTF?

Anyway, told her I wasn't interested without even riding it, when she asked why I of course replied I thought it was too small for me (I am 5'8" and about 65kg). So even 2 weeks post-baby I am although maybe a little rounder than usual not exactly overweight as I am sure Deelee and Shaiarabs can both attest to. She says "Oh but once you lose the extra 20kg or so you need to lose then she'll be a perfect size for you!! WTF?

gypsy_dreamer
08-02-07, 01:29 AM
LOL PP. Some people . . .

CRISP
08-02-07, 02:07 AM
Maybe she meant... it is quarter the size of a horse !!
:+ }>

eeniemeanie
08-02-07, 03:37 AM
Oh dear, you have to laugh really!! Makes me think of someone I know with her 17 hh (translate just 15 hh) "pure-bred Andulsuion" (grey mongrel)..... also saw all sorts of interesting horses when I was hunting around for 6 months!!

CRISP
08-02-07, 04:07 AM
I like to take my measuring stick with me when looking at horses..
that way the owners of the horse cant treat you like an idiot when you show them their horse is only 13hh, not 15hh.

I saw a funny advert yesterday on Aushorse, they say the horse is either 13yo or 23yo... owner doesnt know !!
(musnt look in its mouth too often):+

eeniemeanie
08-02-07, 04:09 AM
he he I saw that one too lol what are they thinking? (or maybe they arent???)

ASHlover
08-02-07, 04:11 AM
I've seen a few rather 14hh-ish 16.3hh horses too :D

I once got given a 22 year old registered purebred arabian stallion - got him home took one look at the brand and thought huh???

The horse was 15. Close. :D

OakyPoke
08-02-07, 05:47 AM
LOL I swear its a circus out there!

That' swhy it took me 18 months to find my horse.

AND a seller who told me all the horses good points, and all his bad points no worries whatsoever.

...mind is still churning over 17h Andalusian?? That's pretty big for an Andi isnt it?

Elli
08-02-07, 05:51 AM
Heh heh. That's classic! How rude is she, saying you need to lose 20kg??!!! It sounds like if you did that someone would put you on A Current Affair to save you from anorexia!

Although it's damn funny, I can imagine how frustrated you must have been... hope you didn't travel too far.

I work on a tourist passenger horse drawn tram with Clydesdales, they are all around 17hh, and the other day a person who claimed to be horsey asked if the one I was driving (one of our tallest) was 15hh!!! And she was standing right next to her, patting her!!! :D

Fi Fi
08-02-07, 05:52 AM
I once went to look at a horse one of my OH's colleagues was selling. This was way back in the days before Internet and digital cameras so I couldn't see a pic. I was assured the horse was "really big, at least 16.2hh". So we drove for 2 1/2 hours out to the middle of nowhere on the worst rutted and pot holed dirt road you've ever seen to see said horsie. It was no more than 14hh tops! I was not too pleased.

yaears
08-02-07, 05:52 AM
Actually-after a few past purchases I seriously doubt whether many CAN tell between a 12 yr old and a 22 yr old-or between 13.3" and 15hh!Or a 18month old and a 3 ryr old filly in our case.Just get so tired of having people tell fairy tales -and boy do they really get annoyed and defensive !Yep a measuring stick is our friend-so long as the feet are trimmed and ground level.

Tramp_96
08-02-07, 06:58 AM
On the flip side..

I remember a woman coming out to see one horse we had for sale.

the advert read;

15.2hh Arabian WB gelding, 5yo, very green, is not a large horse, would suit small adult or teenager.

She accused me of lying about the horses breeding & said 'this isnt a WB he's too fine'

derrrrr its half arab you nuf nuf!

travers
08-02-07, 07:05 AM
Speaking of nuffies, I saw an ad in horse deals placed by the Allens (Robbie etc...) It's fantastic; title is something like 'This is A Proper Horse' then 'Nuffs Nuffs need not apply'
Super looking horse too. God I cracked up when I read it.

Tramp_96
08-02-07, 07:21 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA~!

I saw the same one!

funny thing, I was going to e-mail it to you, but forgot.

my_boy
08-02-07, 04:53 PM
I saw that ad too - what a hoot!!!

They're certainly out there in droves (LOL)

my_boy