PDA

View Full Version : Share you secret - Saaddle Blanket

Little Grey
25-02-07, 05:44 AM
I know its been done, but this computer is so slow that i cant find it without wanting to throw this out the window.
Just washed my saddleblanket and its come out just as filthy as when it went in.
Whats your secrets to a good clean saddle blanket? Its sweat and dirt and probably shouldve been washed before now, but its been sitting in the shed till now. Was washed in the washing machine with wool wash.

Tara
25-02-07, 05:50 AM
yes people, please share, my saddle blanket is currently soaking in the laundry sink, the current outlook is grim. white saddle blanket, black horse, not a good mix.

RH Bobbie
25-02-07, 05:50 AM
Sorry I cant help you with the washing, but I always use a folded towel under my saddle blankets. They're thin so hardly make a difference, and make cleaning the saddle blankets so much easier!

Ive had my Anky tech. for around 16 months now, and I washed it for the first time last week.

The towels go in the wash every week or so :).

Werdun
25-02-07, 07:24 AM
If I finish a ride and the saddleblanket is particularly sweaty or foamy, I'll hose that down too (it's already wet after all). Sometimes, I'll give it a quick scrub with shampoo while I'm there.

However, for actual washing, I will soak it in HOT water with some sort of stain remover. Put it through the rinse cycle after this (or at least empty the dirty water), and then wash as a normal load, again with HOT water. I was never able to get my cotton rugs to come up really white until I switched to hot water.

Obviously, you should try to make up a full load of horsey gear as it's a lot of water to waste for just a saddleblanket. You will also get a better result if you avoid the cheapy laundry detergent brands.

If you can catch the machine in time, try to take them out before the spin cycle so they don't dry all crumpled up.

Another tip for bandages...fold over 2 or 3 times and tie in a knot (not too tight). Avoids the intertwined bandage nightmare you usually end up with.

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:WuBzI7k9Nf6mAM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/944863/2/istockphoto_944863_horse_cartoon_illustration.jpg
Katherine
www.freewebs.com/werdun

delta_blue
25-02-07, 07:36 AM
I tend to do the same as Werdun and give them a hose at the same time as washing down horsie. Though if it's say, change of season time and there's hair everywhere, I let them dry out and give them a once or twice over with the vacuum cleaner before I wash them, I do the same with cotton rugs if they get a bit hairy. Gives my bf a good laugh, watching me out on the decking trying to do 6'+ rugs and swearing if it sucks up too much rug :) (the trick is to plant 2 feet either side of the section you're vacuuming so as to keep it tight, also gets out a lot of dirt. Does make for a funny picture though lol)

harmony
25-02-07, 08:21 AM
He he, another person who's done the 'vacuuming' thing - I thought I was the only one LOL! Mind you, I've had to keep an old vacuum (originally for the car) for the job, as the 'good' vacuum for the house is off limits! I give them a good brush first with one of those rubber curry combs designed for horses. And yep, I too stand on the edges of the rug trying to keep it tight - it's a bit like playing a game of 'Twister' by yourself...

Cheers, Harmony

zzahra84
25-02-07, 11:34 AM
I get mine made to how I want them by my rug lady. They are always the right thickness, shape, colour, size etc.