PDA

View Full Version : Qn for Bill or anyone savvy enough

Lin2
11-03-07, 03:32 AM
Help, I'm drowing in graphics here and, when at home on dialup, cannot contemplate opening even the smallest thread due to the huge humber of graphical signatures. The amount of graphics in the posts these days just bogs it all down for me. The bling is a bit overwhelming too, I must say!

Is there some way I can turn all graphics off at my end so the thing loads faster? Or even loads really. That'd be good.

If not, is it possible to have some restrictions on how big graphics files can be? I don't want to stop people from posting pics or limit the number of them, but on dialup size does matter!

Thanks

shredder
11-03-07, 05:29 AM
Hi,

There are a few things you can do... apart from the obvious of switching to ADSL....

I am assuming you are using IE (though for other browsers there are similar settings). Go to the Tools/Internet Options and then go to the advanced tab. Under this tab there are a whole lot of settings, go down to the "multimedia" area and uncheck everything. It will make web sites look a little weird but it will also make it faster and stop the graphics and multimedia stuff which typically slows it down.

Failing this go to the same area Tools/Internet Options and select the "Settings" button, here you need to increase your cache size, and change the "refresh page" option (play a bit with it to see what works best for you). But I suspect the first part will make the difference you want.

BTW seriously consider going for ADSL if you can (ie have it in your area) for the $30p/mth it costs it is far better than dialup... oh and no I dont resell this stuff I just work with it....

Good luck, if it doesn't work come back to me and I will ask around to see how to fix it....

M

blackhorse
11-03-07, 05:43 AM
If Lin2 is anything like me, she doens;t have any option. We can get it on town, but only up to 3.5 km from the exchange. We live 7 kn form teh exchange. They came and tested our wires but not enough copper - so we have to go ISDN, whcih is better than usuall dialup, but costs and arm and a leg.

Can't get satelite becasue use computer at home to do work on work server and that doesn't work with sattelite because of the delay factor.

shredder
11-03-07, 06:47 AM
Well I will ask around at work, while I wont name them I work for one of the biggest IT companies around and if there is a way the guys I deal with will know it. You would be surprised at what options are out there if only people would tell you...

My speciality is software, this is really a Hardware issue.... wait till Monday....

M

Chestnut Filly
11-03-07, 08:26 AM
Ditto all that! I can only get dial-up here, & it's VERY slow - only 28 (kpps..or whatever they call it!)

Please consider us when using flashy signatures, & adding pics etc!!

Lin2
11-03-07, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info, Shredder. I will give that a go, although I assume that will turn pics off for every website I visit? Most other websites aren't too bad but CH is a shocker due to the signatures. And there are times I actually want to see the pics people post so I'd have to turn it back on again to see them?

Off to try it out....

PS...I think broadband is available in my area just not bothered to get it as most of my net activity is done from work (shhh, don't tell anyone!). I'd probably have to upgrade the computer too as it is becoming elderly. :)

EDIT : bugger, I'm using Netscape. I've looked under Tools and Preferences sections and can't find anything to turn off graphics. Oh well, maybe I'll just not look at CH on the weekends. So, no riveting threads between Friday and Monday, ok?? :)

Philip M Bowie
11-03-07, 04:55 PM
Hi!

Floppy moose!? Hey, at least a moose is an ungulate, so it's almost ironic to use it to hammer certain bandwidth-challenging or annoying graphical content on CHF :-)...

http://www.floppymoose.com/

There's also this one, which seems more straightforward to install...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

(That latter suggests you may have to "upgrade" to Firefox, however.)

--------
Sorry, I had to edit my own dopey post to add that the CSS (floppy moose) solution should not prevent images being downloaded to your computer--but the text should render more quickly at least.

I tried the moosey solution just now, and "out of the box" it axed all the ad images in CHF, which isn't so good. I replaced the whole CSS file with just my own line that targets only imageshack.us and that worked fine, however, said line being:

http://cl1p.net/monkeys/

--------
Cheers
K.

Lin2
12-03-07, 02:12 AM
Wot you talkin' about, Willis?? :O Oops, that assumes you're old enough to remember the TV show, Different Strokes!

Ok, Floppy Moose. Will give the ungulate with no bones a go. It better not be too complicated! Just as an aside though, I would have thought that the signature images would download pretty quick once I had done them once. They'd be sort of in memory/cache whatever, but this doesn't really seem to be the case.

Lynette
12-03-07, 06:58 AM
I got broadband on Friday, so this is no longer an issue for me, but I experienced the same slow loading problems with dialup and quite often would give up if it exceeded my patience levels (which are pretty short). While I don't begrudge people the right to put pictures in their posts and have pictures and graphics as their sig lines and so forth, it is always a pleasure when I visit one of my other forums (non-horsey) which has a no sig line and no pictures in posts rule. If you want to refer to a picture in the your post, you have to do it as a link to the site where the picture is stored.

The rule is there for two reasons - quicker loading of forums for everyone, and saves bandwidth for the forum owner with them not having to store all those pictures on their server.

Maybe Bill and Berni could do the same here - no pictures in posts, links only. You can then choose to click on the link to look at the picture, and only have to wait for them to load at a time, so that dial-up forumites don't have to wait for ages for the thread to load before they can start reading the longer ones.

western star
12-03-07, 12:23 PM
I agree 100%
The bloody western showies thread drives me batty.
People have signature pics that are huge & when they post at least twice a day you see the smae bloody horse a zillion times & It slows down the whole thread...
Now we have bloody glitter tags....

Please oh please put a limit on signature sizes & All the crap people post:(

shredder
12-03-07, 01:47 PM
In case people have missed this.... if you are using Philips suggestions go for the last one, while I havent tried them the first too seem to be add blockers and wont help much with the pics embedded in the forums, the last one will however.

Cheers

M

wendyf8
12-03-07, 04:37 PM
I agree, it's just too much trouble to come on here with all the signatures and bling.
Can't get broadband because of "split wires" or something, have applied several times.
I find the Stockyard site loads more easily and while it has photos, they rarely hang over the edge of the page. Pity, this site has some interesting information, just can't stand the waiting.

SamP
13-03-07, 01:26 AM
Another vote for getting rid of the sigs and those silly glitter avatars and tickers. The clutter the forum and make it much slower, and I'm on ADSL.

Cheekyspirt 26
13-03-07, 01:32 AM
We also can not get broadband or ADSL at home so I I don't even contemplate looking at CH at home.

I don't want to get rid of all pictures as my son also uses the itnernet at home.

Hope someone comes up with a solution.