PDA

View Full Version : Chance of full siblings being simil

Princess Paris
21-03-07, 04:36 AM
I have a 4 yo mare who is currently measuring 15. 1/2hh. She is WB/TB. Her dam is a 16.2hh TB and her sire is a 17hh warmblood. Now there is no way she is going to reach her mothers height (much to my dismay). She was her Dams first foal so I am hoping her lack of size is due to this factor. She is everything I wanted apart from her height. Great temperament, nice type, easy to train etc etc I am quite tall so do prefer something over 16hh.

Now my question is : What is the likelihood of a full sibling to her would grow bigger than 16hh? I am planning to put my mare back to the same stallion this spring because my 4yo mare is everything I had hoped for apart from her size but do you think the second time round the offspring will grow bigger considering the size of it's parents?? Or is it more likely to be a similar height to it's full sister?? The Dam hasn't had a foal since she had my now 4 yo. My young mare has never been malnourished or lacking in anything that would prevent her growth.

Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

Thanks!

Tramp_96
21-03-07, 04:44 AM
well PP, its pretty much luck of the draw.

My mare is the 2nd foal to be born out of her dam.

Her sire Balmoral Lux, is just over 17hh & her dam Rene is 16.2(approximately)

She stands at 15.1hh (on a good day) & she's Holstien on both sides.

Her older sister however is 16.2hh.

edit (& about the height thing, the fantastic thing about WB's is their height can be deceiving.. I'm 5'11)

oats
21-03-07, 06:04 AM
You really cant tell, but they do say that the first foal has a tendancy to be smaller. My now riding horse who was a first foal is 16hh, the fourth foal out of mare but the only full brother is 2yo and already 16hh, anyones guess.

ASHlover
21-03-07, 06:05 AM
Yep agree Tramp - luck of the draw, don't believe it has anything to do with whether or not it was the first foal.

I have 3 full sisters

2 are over 16hh

the other is 15.1hh

Parents were 15.1 and 1/2 and 14.3hh

They were all raised the same - one mare just didn't get the height factor, or the colour (she is chestnut the other 2 are bay)

Princess Paris
21-03-07, 06:22 AM
Thanks Guys! I will just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed for something with longer legs!hehehe Not that I will love it any less!!

Maggie
21-03-07, 06:36 AM
Hi,
Agree with all the above posters. Our CBX mare's first foal is now a 4 year old gelding. He was only 36kg when born - a runty albeit vigorous little thing. He is now 17.1hh - and built like the proverbial brick dunny. His dam, Pippin, is 15.3HH but his sire was 17.2HH RID. Second foal was a filly - is now 3yr old and 15.2hh - she'll probably grow a little taller, but really I don't want her much over 15.3hh. Third foal - now a 15 month old gelding is just over 14.1hh - so anyone's guess. (All these foals by the same RID). I guess it's sometimes a throwback to previous generations. Pip's sire was 17.2hh (CB) but her dam was only 15.1 (TB). One of our other mare's foals have been big from the get-go. She's mainly TB and only 15.2hh - same RID stallion - but her second filly foal is going to be large. She's just over 15 months old and already her dam's height.
Cheers
Maggie

j9
22-03-07, 02:50 AM
I have a mare here who is 15.2hh she was the first foal from her tb dam Her sire and dam were 15hh she has 4 full brothers who range in height from 16hh to 17hh.
Our stallion did throw height ,even though he was only small.