PDA

View Full Version : rugs, sythetic vs canvas opinions p

kelli
25-05-07, 08:05 AM
im looking at buying some new rugs for my girls, i have always been a canvas girl but would like opinions on synthetic vs canvas please as to fit, waterproofing ,sweating etc etc etc

Painted
25-05-07, 08:25 AM
well my experience has been mixed. I bought some very good synthetic rugs for my horses two winters ago however they got too hot in them and sweated a lot. Keep in mind I am in Sydney and as my horses are on agistment so they were rugged 24/7. They were fine at night but too hot when left on during the day. I switched to wool lined canvas last winter and they were excellent and I will be sticking to them. If I could take rugs off during the day, I would probebly go with synthetic, but when leaving them on all day and night, wool lined canvas is the way to go. Good luck.

GIORGIO
25-05-07, 08:46 AM
I actually use both.

I use a light synthetic underneath (in my case the high neck Landa rug) and use this rug for my warmbloods and TB's for the spring and autumn months when we can get 20 degree days. That way they are less likely to sweat.

Then once winter hits I simply just add on top of the synthetic, a light 12oz canvas. When it gets warm I just take their canvas off and they still have waterproof protection. (I recommend the 5 line canvas rugs made by Piaffe) on the top and my guys are happy as larry. This way means you buy less rugs.

In the past i have found just using a heavy synthetic means they can easily get hot on the warmer days and then you still have to buy lighter rugs for the warmer seasons.

The heavy 24oz canvas rugs in my opinion are just too heavy.

ps I like the high neck rugs because they keep pressure off their wither's.

Dragoness
25-05-07, 08:52 AM
Ive always used canvases, feel they probably dont get as hot suring the day when I can change them. Having said that, I went and got my girl an expensive synthetic combo that I was waiting until I moved agistment to put on her, so in the meantime bought a canvas. She is in the paddock with other mares and so far has had her cotton ripped and her canvas ripped, so now Im too scared to put the expensive combo on her! lol. Im now saving the combo for good occasions and she is once again in a canvas! (and the best thing, it was the cheapest canvas I could find, its light and is actually a perfect fit, fully waterproof and warm! I liked it so much I went and bought the same brand for my other mare!)

Cheers

scooti
25-05-07, 09:26 AM
I use a warm synthetic combo at night, that way they only have one heavy rug on over their cottons. Then in the day I swap it for either a lined or unlined canvas (no neck rug), depending on how cold it is, over the cotton combo.

I have very little time before and after work to feed, rug & stable up to nine horses, so mine have a maximum of 2 rugs at any 1 time. More than that takes too long!

alwayzhorsie
25-05-07, 10:53 AM
My horse sweated WAY too much under his lite synthetic rug. So i got him an unlined skye park rug with a cotton underneath- he hasn't yet sweated under it- even during the day when it was sunny which is great! :)

On really cold winter days he will eithier have his lite synthetic with neck rug on, OR his medium combo. :)

I like canvas's better as they breathe MUCH better and are much more waterproof :)

jimmy
25-05-07, 11:24 AM
I Only use the synthetics at night or on over cast or rainy days.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/kazzyhotpanys/jimmy031.jpg

sassy_k
25-05-07, 11:55 AM
I've always used synthetics because they're warm and lightweight. The only problem I have with them is that they are just not economical cost wise and they're definately not as strong as a canvas.

I've nine horses now and am about to spend an absolute fortune switching over to canvas. A good quality canvas will last for many years if taken care of and the beauty is that you can re-proof a canvas without causing any damage to its "breathability".

Our ability to dream is what sets us apart ~ Our ability to achieve those dreams is what makes each of us extraordinary :)

Duchess
25-05-07, 12:55 PM
I use synthetic shell combo's over cottons on my draft horses as they get too hot in anything heavier and canvas is just waaaaay too heavy and puts your back out when your rugs are 7'3" and you have to "hoik"(sp?)them up onto the 18 handers.