PDA

View Full Version : floating one horse

horseluva
25-05-07, 03:33 PM
hi all, when floating 1 horse which side of the float should the horse be on? i have heard about it being on the inside or outside of the corners i think...not sure, LOL!! does it make any difference?

skip
25-05-07, 03:58 PM
I was told that the horse is on the inside closer to the middle of the road. Behind the driver.
I tie one horse to the catch on that side but I usually travel without a divider. The horse is normally over 16 hands and can then spread their legs to maintain balance. They usually stand from the driver side with their bum towards the other side.

My breaker came once when we had to float two large horses that get on well. We'd had hassles with one loading. He removed the divider and these two horses were happy to rub bellies. Surely not recommended with some horses but it solved the hassle in this case.
And I had to ressurect the divider ( rusted out in the shed ) when I had a new young horse. She floated well, the breaker said in her case it was to stop her even thinking about turning round. The divider was attached to the front but put to one side and bolted at the back. So again she floated diagonal across the float.
Don't know if this is correct but the horses are happy and jump on without me leading ( self load ) so I'm happy.

Sunspot
25-05-07, 05:45 PM
Drivers side, because of the cambre of corners

eventa
26-05-07, 12:32 AM
Driver side for sure!

a_little_oc
26-05-07, 01:08 AM
I also float one horse on the driver's side.
If you have to pull of the road a bit on a narrow road it is also less weight on the Left hand side tyres esp. if there are potholes on the side of the road. Slightly less rough for the horse as well.
With car tyres you could risk damage to them or blowout if you hit potholes with the extra weight of the horse if it was on the left hand side.
I only use light truck tyres on my float and trailers.

Tramp_96
26-05-07, 01:11 AM
Drivers side.

I normally put the devider to one side with my mare though.. just so she can stable herself a bit more.

Carol
26-05-07, 02:22 AM
Definately Drivers side. And like Aunty Tramp I put mine in with the divider so they can stabilise themselves. ;)

Cheers - Carol

queen_of_arabs
26-05-07, 07:19 AM
The driver's side because the road slopes down slightly towards the gutter so the left side of the float is slightly lower (at least that's what I've been told)
If you are floating 2 horses the heavier one should be on the driver's side

emma23
27-05-07, 03:12 PM
One more vote for drivers side...but I float without the divider as I find my horses stabilise themselves better without it.

Sparrow
28-05-07, 03:21 AM
"I tie one horse to the catch on that side but I usually travel without a divider"

Travelling WITHOUT the centre divider and one horse on board CAN lead to disaster !!! Horse that size 16 plus hands could weigh @ 600 kgs .... and if floated WITHOUT divider can generate huge amount of inertia if it throws itself from one side of the float to the other.

I have seen first hand the absolute carnage that can happen when 600 kg horse is NOT restrained properley in float because of missing divider ... and DOES throw its body mass from one side to the other. It has in the past led to people losing control of tow vehicle as the float "whips" the car due to the energy the horse has generated by throwing itself around. Last one I got to see was a head on due to the above conditions. NOT PRETTY I can tell you ???

For my 5c worth ... I would NEVER float a single horse in a double float WITHOUT the divider fitted ... and if horse being transported needed some "help" ..... then I simply tie back of divider over to one side so horse can "angle load" itself .... but still be tied in the float. This way the problem floater CAN balance himself better ... but cannot generate the same energy by throwing himself around because his shoulders are constrained by the front of the centre divider ???

Floating a single horse WITHOUT a divider at all ... well do it at YOUR own peril ???

Which side to transport the horse on ??? ... well "normally" ... the drivers side .... but SOME horses will scramble & fall over .... for whatever reason if loaded that side ... but MAY float fine if loaded on the passenger side ??? So it depends on the horse in question, the float, the road conditions ... and most importantly .... THE NUT BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL !!!

rileyandbyron
28-05-07, 03:46 AM
driverside with divider!!!

Tex
28-05-07, 05:07 AM
Drivers side with divider.

RBobby
29-05-07, 12:57 AM
You can't judge by corners, because no matter which side you put the horse on they'll be on the inside of a corner, as you can turn both ways!

As a rule i put the horse on the center of the road, as roads slope and are flattest in the middle, i.e. better balance for the horse. Also the driver's side is the side the float/car is controlled from so if there is a crash, the float would be less likely to tip away from the swerving driver.