PDA

View Full Version : Horse sales 'ethics'



fernloch_girl
25-05-07, 04:42 PM
I'm in the rather unusual situation of having several GORGEOUS people interested in my even more gorgeous five year old WB mare. Now, to be fair, I had her advertised at a cheaper price when she was turned out. Some people rang then and have just taken their sweet time about coming to look at her. However, in the meantime, I've brought her back into work (elementary/medium)and understandably, her price has gone up (you know, time, rugging, feed, stabling, etc.). Whilst I believe I should honour the price at which people saw her advertised at, what do I do about selling her? I don't think 'first in' should count in this instance... Should it be 'best possible home, regardless of price' as I think? Or best price? I never usually sell my horses - they all die here of old age... some advice please!!!!!

Rudie
25-05-07, 10:57 PM
Id research your buyers!!
You want her to go to someone with a good training and competition reputation who wont let her go to waste.
Nothing worse than selling a stunning baby with an awesome future to then never hear of them again......

skymare
26-05-07, 12:19 AM
i used to have a very beautiful and rare breed show dog that i could no longer keep as i had to move to a flat. so i advertised her in the trading post for free. i received 30 phone call of which only four people i invited to come have a look at my baby. three showed up. only two were suitable. i agonized over the decision. i rang them both to let them know i was still trying to decide. i chatted with them some more to glean more info from them and took a few more days. i chose one family. from 30 to 1. i had the right. so do you. you also have to right to up the price since the people who originally were interested did, as you say 'take their sweet time' in coming back to you. up the price and choose who you want.

Piny_Pot
26-05-07, 02:01 AM
IMO it should be best home regardless of price.

In the case of your mare I would readvertise her at the dearer price and tuff luck for the previous people. Obviously some time has passed and the horse you are now offering for sale is not the same when you first advertised her. If they wanted her they should not have taken their sweet time and now they should have to pay for the extra education etc the mare has received.

annieat4444
26-05-07, 04:26 AM
If your price has changed and you dont have a deposit on the mare, readvertise her at the higher price.

macrannoch
26-05-07, 04:42 AM
If you are in the situation where you can hold on to your horse for some time yet, I would hold off and only sell the the home that you feel would look after her the way you would and that will take her to her full potential.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/macrannoch/Glitter-Macrannoch1.gif
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ What we learn to do, we learn by doing ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hazel
26-05-07, 04:47 AM
Best home comes before the bucks.

My horses are very precious to me, I will only choose the best of homes regardless of anything else.

IMHO

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/rayhay20/thglitterarab2.gifhttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/rayhay20/thbluearab.gif

frogfriday
26-05-07, 07:05 AM
Here are my thoughts:

1. You are the seller, you can set whatever price you want.

2. I generally agree that the home comes before the price, but for some people the extra cash might be urgently needed - this may make selling to a not-as-perfect home acceptable to you.

3. I am not sure what period of time you are talking about - from reading your posts, I have in my head that you have been advertising for weeks rather than months (might be totally wrong though :-)).

4. Your potential buyers might not view your price rise in this time as being justified - I don't know that a few weeks or even a few months extra training/being brought back into work necessarily justifies large (percentagewise) price increases.

As a buyer, I view these as the costs associated with owning a horse. I would be (probably somewhat cynically) wondering whether the price would be going up each week or month (if you get what I mean).

5. HOWEVER, such a price increase would be comprehendable if you believe (and state) that you think the price you set initially was too low.

6. They will either accept the price rise, or they won't.

7. If they don't accept the price rise, you may have to hang onto your mare for a longer time, maybe readvertise, extra feeding, the continuation of work. I would maybe calculate what this would cost you when figuring out whether to put the price up, and to what level.

Dragoness
26-05-07, 08:42 AM
I had the same thing happen to me FG. However I didnt even advertise my boy, just had people show up and want to try him. I was open to the idea, they tried him, loved him, but she admitted she wasnt ready to buy a new horse. So off they went. She rang back 3-4 months later and wanted to look at him again. In the meantime I had not only put 4 months of training in, but he was now training over sj and xc and had been educated on the road, trail rides and been to jumping schools etc. She was a little taken back when I said the price had risen by $1000 (which I dont consider to be much for 4 months full work). She came out and rode him a few more times and we settled on $500 more than my original asking price as she was definately the right home for this horse. he nows lives in luxury and is thoroughly spoilt and loved to bits.
I think you have to cover the cost of your time, feeding etc, but dont be unreasonable as you might miss out on your girl going to a perfect home.

Cheers