PDA

View Full Version : For those who have broken horses in

Kilronan
26-05-07, 08:44 AM
Just wondering what your system is?

Ie what order you take things in:
Like weather you mouth by long reining, do it in the saddle or by using a w pulley system or some other method?

At what stage do you consider the horse to be mouthed properly and move onto backing?

When do you take them out of the round yard out into and open paddock?

At what stage you consider your horse to be broken?

Dragoness
26-05-07, 08:55 AM
Sin was the first horse I have broken in, and that was with help, so Im not going on much experience, but here is what we did with her.
First was the bridle by itself to get her used to the bit etc. Then the lunging roller for a few days, then very long side reins so she got used to the idea of something actually holding the bit, then longreining (from the bit, through the roller) for a few days. Then the actual saddle on with longreining, then hop on. All this happened over the space of about 2 weeks. We then rode her in the round yard for another 5 days, then out into the paddock. Never once was she scared by any of this, has never bucked, pigrooted or misbehaved at all. Once out in the paddock and being able to walk, trot and canter, I considered her to be broken.

Cheers

Suzie Q
27-05-07, 05:52 AM
Pretty much the same as Dragoness.

Except for longreins through the stirrups of a saddle instead of a roller and...

Except for after getting on.

With Yogi I took him down into the jumping paddock and did a walk and a trot and a canter up on both reins. The next day he went on a trail ride to the State Forest.

Twiglett the day I hopped on him one of the girls was riding Gin. She was always being told not to ride Gin as she could not lead a ride out on her. So Twiggy led the ride down the long drive way, over the bridge, through the front gate and along the road, until we came to a Twiglett eating bulldozer. When someone else took over the ride and he followed alongside the ride quite happily.

The others I can't remember!!! LOL!!!

imnotsaying
27-05-07, 10:18 AM
We have used similar methods though not exactly the same. The first thing we teach is voice aids for go and stop when handling the horse on the ground. It has been a pretty good safety net at times.

Suzie Q
28-05-07, 02:21 AM
I agree imnotsaying.

I incorporate that with handling and then with lunging, and also under the saddle.

DB
28-05-07, 02:49 AM
OK, an undisclosed number of years breaking here coming out of my corner.

Such a simple question - such a myriad of answers that can be given. What you do during breaking will impact on this horse fr the rest of it's days. You let it be pushy and slow in responding, it will be like that forever, regardless of touchups or fixups down the line. Re training is all very well, but to step on a horse that has been well broken in is like turning the lights on at night - highly illuminating!!

Timing, touch, stop and go are all utterly crucial at times like this, and to have a read of Andrew McClean/Tom Roberts will help immensely. Forward cannot be understated, either - once you hop on the thing, it's got to go forward forward! And stop instantly! Once my horses will trot canter and slide to the stop on the dropping of the body whereever you are whenever anything happens, that is mostly broken in. they need to be balanced from day one with their hindquaters under them, not slopping about in what people term "the green horse" That horse is not broken in. We barely touch their mouths the whole time - they learn a little on the double long reins at speed, but mostly it's all about balance and body movement.

Sorry for going on a little, but it's something I feel quite strongly about, as you can tell! I jsut hate getting on something that someone says is broken in, and having it wobble about uncertainly all over the place, unsure of where you are travelling to! Good luck.

imnotsaying
28-05-07, 11:05 AM
Agree with most you say DB, disagree with some. I would highly recommend John Chattertons handling methods of the young horse.

DB
28-05-07, 03:09 PM
Oh yeah, imnotsaying. So good to find like minds! I don't always agree with everything I say about horses, so why on earth should You???? John Chatterton is another of the legends who can speak horse.

fernloch_girl
28-05-07, 03:26 PM
Hiya :)

Have broken in several horses (don't know if it's enough to say 'many'). ANYHOO, my main point is this - remember HSC/VCE??? Everyone told you it would determine the rest of your life... WEEEELL???? DID IT????? NOOOOOOO!!!!! Well, not for most of us, anyway :)

My point is this - mouth your horse carefully and make sure your horse enjoys it. Firstly, make sure the bit is the right size. Secondly, I recommend that you get a double jointed bit, like a KK. THEN, if you're feeling 'special', get a gold bit - the Germans (myself being a Kraut) believe that you shouldn't put a 'dead metal' in a horse's mouth... the gold bits are sweeter, and increase saliva production.

What I usually do, is pop the bridle on, leave it for about half and hour, and take it off again for the first few days. THEN, I pop it on, leave it on for the whole day and take it off at the end of the day for a week (if I have the luxury of time on my side). THIS way, the horse really gets to accept the bit and 'wear in' its mouth. After that, I lunge the horse in side reins or a gogue for a few days to accustom it to contact, before hopping on. It also helps to drive them a couple of times in long reins - preferably in an open space - to check the steering and the brakes!!!