PDA

View Full Version : Should I shouldn't I?

RachelB
28-05-07, 10:21 AM
I'll try keep this as short as possible... In about July last year I started teaching my niece to ride, she was 8 turning 9 and I have been teaching her on my 16-16.1hh TB mare. My mare is very quiet and I have just started taking my niece off the lunge and letting her ride her on her own doing walk, trot, some trotting poles, small jumps and a bit of canter.
She has behaved really well only getting ridden the once each week by my niece ahe loves the carrots attention etc.
I have had to start feeding my mare a bit more because she lost some condtion over summer due to lack of feed. As a result she has more energy and is just too big (and my niece isn't strong enough) for my neice to ride on her own.

Sooo what are pples opinions, I would like to sell her and buy a pony (knowing full well that a good pony is probably going to cost 3-4 times as much as I could hope to get for her) so she can ride confidently on her own. (Even the little things like being able to saddle the pony herself because it's the right size).
My main two concerns about selling her are a) my niece will be upset and b) that I will not be able to sell the mare because she wind sucks.

If I do decide to sell her what do you think she is worth? She's 12 years old this year approx 16hh very quiet, excellent ground manners, is handled and ridden by children. She is quiet in traffic and in the bush but will also perk up if you want to go for a gallop. She is a bit hard in the mouth but not strong to stop. She would make an ideal trail horse or school horse. Here are some pictures of her and my niece. btw sorry for the novel.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb91/rbeacham/IMG_2178.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb91/rbeacham/IMG_2176.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb91/rbeacham/IMG_2175.jpg

Sparrow
28-05-07, 10:40 AM
Not sure if there would really be much of a market for a 12 yr old TB that windsucks ???

From the picces .... everyone looks pretty happy ???

Simple solution may be just cut down excessive energy input in horses diet .... and get better more controlled environment for your neice to ride in ??? .... ie. like a proper fenced arena !!!

LOTS of hay .... & lots MORE hay .... without any additional hard feed and you'll probably find she will improve overall condition with out feeling full of herself ???

equine
28-05-07, 10:51 AM
Hi I agree with sparrow about feeding hay and lots of it my 3 horses are all on just grass hay ant the moment nothing else and they look fantastic no one believes me that they are only on hay so may be worth a go.

RachelB
28-05-07, 10:51 AM
Hi Sparrow I do thanks its still 65 x 25 though a horse can do a lot in that area but thanks for the advice any way.

pauper
28-05-07, 11:04 AM
Hi RachelB
she looks like a lovely mare. its hard to say what she would be worth as it can depend on what area you are in, but i would reckon $1,500 to $2,000!
I wouldnt worry so much about the windsucking as this does not always put people off and she sounds like she would be perfect for a adult just starting out, and good horses like that are hard to find!
all the best Pauper

Birthdays are good! they mean your still alive!