PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this painting & artist?

Rowdy
28-05-07, 11:46 PM
I have this old faded, battered print that I think is lovely, I would love to know who the artist is so that maybe I can bet a better copy, any one recognise it?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/kirislin/104-0422_IMG.jpg

Linda

dante
29-05-07, 10:17 AM
Looks to me like a Tom Roberts but I'm no expert

chas2
29-05-07, 12:25 PM
If you go to a good print/framers shop they will have catalogues of prints available - books of them actually.
You may wel find your print is still avaiable, but also may find something very similar.
Cheers

DB
29-05-07, 12:31 PM
Actually, I thought it looked very much like a George Brooks. He painted lots of scenes like that, using those colours. Hans heysen? Not enough light perhaps.

Rowdy
29-05-07, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, I am pretty sure it's not Tom Roberts or Hans Heysen. The rider looks to be wearing denim jeans so it's relatively recent....maybe the last 50 or so years. It's a watercolour.
I dont know George Brooks though, do you know when he was around & if he's Australian as this is most definitely an Aussie painting.

I just love it, I can just imagine the smells, the easy striding walk of that grey, the jingling of hobble chains, the creaking of the saddle, the lowing of the cattle, the heat & dust. I can stare at it for ages.
Linda

Leahrydeary
30-05-07, 02:29 AM
Is there a signature on it somewhere, that you can blow up?

Rowdy
30-05-07, 08:07 AM
Nope, I've looked very hard, I'd say it's been cropped off.

Linda

mhut
30-05-07, 08:15 AM
Hi Rowdy

I have the same print - fortunately mine includes a signature - Allan T Bernaldo. A fairly well know artist of his time - his work occasionally comes up at art auctions such as Deutscher Menzies. I think this is probably the best I've seen of his - sorry there is no title on the print.

Hope this helps

Rowdy
30-05-07, 08:27 AM
>Hi Rowdy
>
>I have the same print - fortunately mine includes a
>signature - Allan T Bernaldo. A fairly well know artist of
>his time - his work occasionally comes up at art auctions
>such as Deutscher Menzies. I think this is probably the best
>I've seen of his - sorry there is no title on the print.
>
>Hope this helps

Yippeeeee thankyou!! I knew I should post it here. Thankyou thankyou, it gives me something to work on now. Off to Google. You've made my day!

Linda

Rowdy
31-05-07, 11:04 PM
Been hunting around since you told me his name. there's a watercolour on ebay for $4500! I wont be buying it. I'd love to know where the original of my old print is.
thanks again for telling me his name.

Linda

mhut
02-06-07, 03:29 AM
Hi linda

Glad I could be of help - I agree it's a lovely print and I'd love to see the original as well. Just searched him at the Deutscher Menzies site and a rural watercolour by him (not as nice as our print though) brought about #3500 last year so the ebay price may be a bit over the odds. If I ever come across the original or another copy of the print I'll let you know.

Syzygy
02-06-07, 03:47 AM

Rowdy
12-06-07, 10:10 AM
>Hi linda
>
>Glad I could be of help - I agree it's a lovely print and
>I'd love to see the original as well. Just searched him at
>the Deutscher Menzies site and a rural watercolour by him
>(not as nice as our print though) brought about #3500 last
>year so the ebay price may be a bit over the odds. If I ever
>come across the original or another copy of the print I'll
>let you know.
>
>
After you told me who he was I googled him & found a book by him in little ol' Healesville, I just bought it for only $10 & it has a really good clear bright photo of my print so I can see it as it was supposed to look. Many thanks again
Linda