PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis

Bowerbird
29-05-07, 01:07 AM
Does anyone have any success stories on treatment for arthritis ?? My old boy has been walking a bit stiff the last few mornings - a bit like myself LOL - and I was after some advice as to what people feed in order to ease the arthritis - Im presuming its arthritis as he is almost 20 and has no other swelling or injury to suggest otherwise.

I was thinking along the lines of msn powder or similar, anyone have any ideas ???

Cheers
Bowerbird

kylie_2258
29-05-07, 01:28 AM
I had a pony with severe arthritis and we used to give him Apple Cider vinegar aswell as we used to keep magnetic boots on his legs and I can definately recommend them. He went from a pony who literally shuffled around the paddock at 25yo to a pony who would go galloping around with the cows and the other horses!

Piny_Pot
29-05-07, 02:20 AM
Yes i would definitely use the MSM as well as glucosamine. I feed glucosamine to all my oldies for their arthritis. If you like speak to Carol at Country Park Herbs and im sure she could suggest something.

www.countrypark.com.au

_Jessica_
29-05-07, 02:30 AM
Yep, ACV Glucosamine and MSM fantastic stuff!!!
I even know people who drink ACV (a whole cup eewww) and say when they run out and dont take it they cant stand the pain!!

I have two arabs both with clubbed hooves and give all three supplements to help prolong arthritis, as horse with clubbed hooves are prone to develop arthritis at a younger age due to the streeses to the bone and joint...

So far so good:)

Grey Terror
29-05-07, 02:38 AM
Hi-Form P is really good aswell. I used to use it with ACV when my old TB was in work. It really helped him alot, can be expensive though!

snowfoot
29-05-07, 03:05 AM
Is there any recommended natural supplements (like ACV) to give now to help with a horse that is not showing any signs but may contract arthritis at a later date...does that make sense?
My young horse was worked & campaigned pretty heavily as a youngster & its something I worry about....

_Jessica_
29-05-07, 03:24 AM
Hello Snowfoot,

All three of these supplements in the appropriate dosages should help prolong the effects of arthritis.. Of course it will not prevent the inevitable but it should help. More is better than less as it just passes through the system if you give too much of glucosamine and MSM... If you do not give enough it is not worth giving.. It does become pricey but is worth it.

This is upon recommendation of my vet as i have two boys with clubbed hoof one worse than the other and he said that it will help as a prventative measure as the angle of the hoof does put added stress on the joints and bones in the shoulder, ankle and fetlock and also to their tendons and muscle groups associated.. One of my boys is fairly severe.

Jess

GIORGIO
29-05-07, 03:36 AM
If you can afford it - Cortaflex works wonders

Glenda_
29-05-07, 04:46 AM
The natural supplements I use on my pony for her arth. are rosehips and devils claw. The devils claw is called 'natures bute' but has more qualities on top of the analgesic and anti inflam. I can really tell if she hasnt had it, and ive been told its ok for long term use. Its not expensive to keep up either, just a pain to remember to steep it in boiling water first. Worth the muckin around but.

equest
29-05-07, 11:34 AM
ive been recommended sharks plus does anyone use this or similar alternatives?

trixie_8
29-05-07, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I second the Hiform P. My old mare has quite bad arthritis in her knees and would not touch anything with a hint of apple cider vinegar in it or the gluacosomine. She absolutely loves the taste of the hiform p and has improved out of sight on it. Also an older tb on the property has had a course of pentosan and this also seems to helped him heaps. Have also had some good results with magnetic products but for my old girl hiform has been best. Guess sometimes you need to trial different products and see which one suits your horse the best.

a_little_oc
30-05-07, 04:14 AM
I use a product from Browns Animal Herbal Products
Called Joint Yoga.

It is good for arthritis and for injuries and swelling.

You can get it through horseland, though you may have to order it in,
Or you can deal through Tracy Brown.
They do mail order, and their shop is in Lilydale Victoria.

You can email me if you can't find them.

Tracy is also great for advice on other problems.
It's well worth talking to her.