PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Position help

nswan
29-05-07, 02:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been jumping now for about 3 years. Getting a little better and more confident every year.. My most frustrating part of jumping is my position.. I seem to collapse and lean when approaching my jumps. Any excercises or advice on what i can do to improve my position?

Kilronan
29-05-07, 04:07 PM
have you got photos or a video???

JEC
30-05-07, 12:22 AM
Maybe think of your shoulders & upper body being your strength ( as in brakes) and use this instead of relying on hands. Keep abs strong when approaching the fence & don't jump before the horse.

I gather you are only jumping small fences? If so then you hardly have to 'lean' forward at all......much better off 'folding' as horse takes off. A lot of people try to jump the fence before the horse so let the fence come to you.
Hope this helps but it is difficult when we don't have any idea of where you are at !!

jumpa
30-05-07, 02:08 AM
Ok collapsing and leaning is as much a flatwork issue as a jumping one. Id also say that you leaning forward into the fence is a symptom of you being a bit anxious.

I suggest you do the following..

No stirrups work to strengthen your lower leg and your core muscles (abs etc).

When you are riding think about your balance being in your legs rather than your hands. Think about the weight being in your heels and a straight line from your shoulder to your hip to your heel.

I would also practice doing your 2 point position on the flat, in the trot and canter. See how many laps you can hold it for either rein. The idea is that you will become stronger in your position.

I would encorporate pole work into your training regeme both trot poles and canter poles. Practice riding into the poles with a good solid position that you have on the flat.
Set up the poles so you have 4 steps inbetween each pole. This will give you a bounce stride. Canter through this excersize and practice sitting tall and maintaining your position through it.

Jumping, i would do lots of trot ins. so you put a pole 3 steps in front of the fence. trot into the fence and just think about your position again. You can do the same with canter in except the pole needs to be 4 steps from the fence. This way you dont have to worry so much about striding and can focus on what you are doing.

You can never do too many grids either. Try doing some bounces (so thats 4 steps inbetween each fence with a trot in rail 3 steps in front of the first fence). All you need to do is trot in thinking of your position and then hold your 2 point through the bounce.

With jumping alongside anything else practice makes perfect. The big thing with riding (any kind) is that if you are aware of your flaws you have the power to monitor what you do and fix it.
Might be a good idea to get someone to video you so you can see what you do, because sometimes things feel different than they look.

rachemum
30-05-07, 02:45 AM
I agree with everything Jumpa said.

Do you have an instructor or friend that can help?.
I put my students on the lunge and get them to trot and canter 2 point with no hands, (arms in aeroplane/by your sides/then in normal position but with no reins).
We also do 2 point with no stirrups and lunge over cavellettis with no stirrups.

Sounds like you just need to do some work on your balance and building up the muscles that support you during jumping.

IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/rachemum/6a6de32c536a4f9d0260f76ff5.gif[/IMG]