PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Understanding - My Horse

melandol
30-05-07, 07:21 AM
Okay, guys, I'm new to all this, and I need all the help that I can get.

5 weeks ago I bought a 5 yo standardbred gelding, who was very underweight and malnourished. He was in desperate need of TLC, and has had his worming, feet and teeth done. He also had a vet check a week after I bought him home, as he was lifting one of his back legs in a similar fashion to 'stringhalt'.

It turned out that it was just because he was getting a lack of exercise (as I was just trying to fatten him up first), so I started the lungeing straight away. I do about half hour a day. That has fixed that problem.

BUT, my horse has what is known as a dropped hip (also known as 'hipped', 'pin down' or 'down of its hip'). This occurred due to a trotting accident when he was younger.

When doing any exercise, my boy extends his back leg a fraction more than the others. I was just really curious as to whether or not this limits his abilities? Is there certain things that I should do to help? Or things that I shouldnt do? Is this uncomfortable for him?? He is happy enough to be lunged and will work happily in the walk, trot and canter for a long period of time.

I intend to get Ol to a healthy condition and build up his muscletone, he will be used for trail rides.

Before I bought Ol he was being ridden by children regularly, and I have jumped on him a few times in the last few weeks.. he doesnt appear to be in pain... so what exactly does this condition mean? Is this condition workable?

Sorry I'm so clueless guys, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing by my boy.

melandol
30-05-07, 10:41 AM
Anyone? :(

pauper
30-05-07, 10:53 AM
Hi Melandol welcome to CH!

I dont know alot about this condition, but if he is only being used for trail rides and not huge jumps, then i dont see why he shouldn't be fine :) !
what you are doing at the moment sounds fine to me, maybe just drop the lunging back to about 20mins as lunging can be very hard work for horses especially if they are unbalanced!
hope that helps Pauper

Birthdays are good! they mean your still alive!

Queen_V
30-05-07, 11:16 AM
Hello Melandol!

When I read your post I was very interested, as many years ago a girl I knew owned a horse with a condition that sounds similar to what your horse has. I don't remember much about it, unfortunately, and don't even know what ever became of the horse (or her for that matter.) I do remember though she didn't ride it much if at all - it was aggisted where I kept my horse and then I moved away.

Anyway I found this on the net that may help.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=646&kw=dropped%20hip

Good luck with your fella, hope he does well.

Cheers
Vicki

speller
30-05-07, 11:20 AM
Sacroilliac problems can and do heal, though most injuries leave the horse with reduced ability - especially with jumping and hind end engagement. Long warm ups and cool downs are essential. I would recommend a few massages to help with training to get more eveness back after all the compensation from the injury. Do you stretch your horse during warm ups? When lunging - after long walking warm ups, try trotting in and out of 20-10 meter circles. Dont forget long cool downs. Short swims can help work the muscles without resistance.

Might11
01-06-07, 09:57 AM
I am sorry I am no use re his condition but did have to say how lucky he is to have found you to give him TLC. I know it can be really hard with problems that don't have a simple answer(or sometimes it seems any answer) and just wanted to give you some encouragement!

melandol
01-06-07, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the advice and encouragement people!
I feel lucky that I found him too :) Since I've had him, nearly 6 weeks now, I have never had so much fun or found a better friend.
He is just wonderful, I don't know how anyone could be so heartless and cruel and let him get to the condition that he was in.
He is so happy and healthy after just 6 weeks. He is quiet and friendly and will do anything for you.
He LOVES his food (spose cos he went without for so long) and he even enjoys his exercise times now too! - When I first got him he just had absolutely no energy.
I even see him sometimes running around his paddock having a kick and a buck, lol. I feel good when I see him do that cos it must mean he's feeling good!!!

Satine
02-06-07, 01:02 AM
As long as he is comfortable in his work and doesn't appear to have any pain, I would leave well alone. He is a lucky horse to have found someone who cares about him. Enjoy him and just keep an eye out for any problems as he progresses in his work. Heres hoping it will never cause him any trouble.
Good Luck with your new mate.