PDA

View Full Version : Rugs on wet horses

spana22
30-05-07, 08:48 AM
I took the horses rugs off this morning and it has been raining most of the day.

Is it ok to put a dry rug on a wet horse?

I always thought it wasn't but then I think I read somewhere that as long as the rug is dry it's ok. Any advice would be appreciated

kajay11
30-05-07, 08:50 AM
I am about to go and face the same problem.... i would love to hear the opinions on this!!!

All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and she'll listen to me any day.....

Grey Terror
30-05-07, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty sure it's okay to put dry rugs on a wet horse. You just can't put wet rugs on a dry horse!

Suzie Q
30-05-07, 08:58 AM
Yes Grey Terror is right. You can put a dry rug on a wet horse, but NEVER a wet rug on any horse.

Dry your wet rugs with the lining up, otherwise you will find that your rug is wetter than before you tried to dry it.

If you horse is sodden, we sweat scraper and put a hessian bag and then the rug.

After the hessian has soaked up the moisture from the horse it works itself free and then the dry rug is there.

But don't do this if you have a skittish hors that will react badly to the hessian bag being released!!

chinotta
30-05-07, 09:40 AM
Yes, I believe it is ok to put a dry rug on ze vet ponees!

Cool idea about the hessian sack!

elektra
30-05-07, 10:07 AM
Yes I have always put a dry rug on a wet horse, I scrape excess water off then dry with a towel, put a cotton rug on underneath and than the canvas.