PDA

View Full Version : Other Talents

Chicken
30-05-07, 11:38 AM
I just love reading all the stories on here... We've had a recent post on what occupation eveyone one does, plus lots of other horsey things. Just wondering what other non-horsey hobbies anyone has - if there's time in your life for them!!

Kilronan
30-05-07, 11:41 AM
I write and sing a bit of country music but would not go as far as to say I am talented at it!!

I also really enjoy sewing if I ever get time for it!

pauper
30-05-07, 11:46 AM
You mean there is a life away from horses :o ?

Birthdays are good! they mean your still alive!

Jasmine
30-05-07, 11:52 AM
At school we have a program that the school chaplain, school nurse & guidance officer runs. Last year we made blankets to send to babies with AIDS in Zimbabwe (SP?) This year we are participating in the program called 'Random Acts Of Kindness' SO if that counts as a life??? I do it when ever I am not doing anything horsey or working :P

fernloch_girl
30-05-07, 04:04 PM
Good on you, Jasmine :)

Whenever I'm not doing anything horsey, or horsey related (ie. fencing, killing weeds, etc), or working... Hmmmm.

I LOOOOOVE motorbikes and used to be not too shabby at riding them (sports bikes, that is). Replaced the bike with a mortgage, though. Also play the piano and used to sing soprano :) LOOOOVE gardening with a special interest in natives and roses and breed rare breed chooks!

Hails
30-05-07, 07:16 PM
up until a year ago i was dancing hip hop/funk at Flava dance studios advanced classes. loved it so much but work and horses have priority :)

I also have just started Karate. its fun and i get to kick and punch people too :P

pauper
30-05-07, 09:22 PM
Hails please remember i your buddy }> !

**Pauper worries about Hails practising her Karate on little old ladies who cant protect themselves**

Birthdays are good! they mean your still alive!

mandybale
30-05-07, 11:15 PM
other hobby - eating chocolate

occasionally I do a bit of dirt bike riding with my son, although I do check the fences whilst we are dirt bike riding so not sure if that counts!!

growing things, but I don't have much time for that, I'm a horticulturist, I work in a wholesale nursery so you'd think I would have a fantastic garden but how many plumbers or builders do you know that have perfect plumbing or finished homes!!! My dogs tend to 'own' the garden anyway, anything I put in wouldn't stand a chance!!

I also do dog grooming/clipping from home one day a week, but not sure if you count that as a hobby, but I do enjoy it.

Can't think of anything else I do that doesn't involve horses, no wonder my OH gets sick of me talking about them!!

Hails
30-05-07, 11:16 PM
lol its ok pauper...i only use my powers for good...not evil.

:)

my_madam
31-05-07, 12:21 AM
Walking the dogs or reading a good book. I can't stand them sitting at the back door wagging their tails as soon as they hear me put my spray deodorant on. Then I feel really bad when I walk straight to the shed to get my saddle.....

Anarabis
31-05-07, 12:41 AM
i have loved painting and drawing for ever... unfortunatly i dont get much of a chance to do either... as i work full time that is seven days a week with horses i must be really boring to talk to ... unless your horsey that is....

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/Anarabis/hurdlehorsepastel.jpg
pastel

kylie_2258
31-05-07, 12:51 AM
I also ride motor bikes.... I have a dirt bike ( though im not very good) and I also go to rodeos and ute shows. My OH has a nice ute which he takes to a few ute shows and I love going with him and helping him get his ute ready for it!

Chicken
31-05-07, 01:12 AM
I also ride a dirt bike - just bought a new fab one!!! Wey Hey! We do big weekend rides through the forests up and down very scarey, very steep hills! Aaaaaaargh!!!!

my_madam
31-05-07, 01:13 AM
WOOOOPS...sorry didn't read that properly......Talents???? eating chocolate sounds like a good one to me!!

Piny_Pot
31-05-07, 01:31 AM
mmh talents??? I dont think i have any i wouldnt say im even a talented rider. I suppose i quill thats about it.

Ecogal
31-05-07, 03:06 AM
Things I do in spare time - which have far too little of at the moment :)

Canine Agility and Flyball - recent Titles in both ! :) Love it.
Bird watcher and keen whale watcher when have the chance (numerous humpback whale trips and a magic Blue Whale trip from Portland Vic)
Genealogy - Have previously spent BUCKETS of time doing this, mainly when my daughter was a bub. Got hooked by it on-line. Have spectacular records on some lines and could easily bore ANYONE stupid within 5 mins :)
Secretary of new local Landcare group
But my supreme talent would appear to be,,,, avoiding housework... I'm the ultimate champ!!

RH Bobbie
31-05-07, 03:11 AM
Music, music and more music.
I play guitar (electric and acoustic), bass, drums, piano and keyboards.
Im going to form my own band with myself.

Dragoness
31-05-07, 04:32 AM
LOL, my talent is Im super at photocopying! Considering all I do is work (photocopying) ride my horses and sleep.
I actually have customers tell me how super I am at my job (though I figure how hard is photocopying!!! so its hardly a compliment)

I do have some talent with animals, seem to have this way of calming them somehow (once had my farrier try and hire me to go around and hold all the horses he was shoeing as even the youngest craziest horses would stand calmly while I was holding them) though I dont consider this a talent, just years of practice being calm around animals.

Cheers

SecondChance
31-05-07, 04:39 AM
Outside of horses...

- Photography
- Scrap-booking
- Camping & 4WD'ing
- Writing fiction

Whenever I have time that is. LOL its not often believe me!

Rudie
31-05-07, 04:44 AM
Animal Photography......
http://www.jezanet.com/Portals/0/Wendy%20stacked.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/Rudie_06/sectretstrot3.jpg

and showing the fur kids (Beagles)
http://www.jezanet.com/Portals/0/SuperSKa_PictureGallery/479/1182_p.jpg
http://www.jezanet.com/Portals/0/SuperSKa_PictureGallery/433/1064_p.jpg

regalrendezvous
31-05-07, 04:54 AM
Talents....mmm

I can't sing or dance =( i tried

and spare time...what is that, when i am not riding i am doing uni work (read messing about on the net i.e CH!)

I once said to my non horsey friend...what do you do wih yourselves. I an't imagine life without horses. I think it would be pretty dull.

Regal

OakyPoke
31-05-07, 05:07 AM
I worked as a singer for many years. My life was so like the movie "The wedding Singer" it aint funny. Cept without the cute guys. (well I think Adam Sandler is kinda cute anyway)

Nowdays its kinda all horsey. Apart from work I like sewing (mainly rugs, coats for the dogs, tail bags etc) and making my own leather stuff (bridles, halters, breastplates etc)

I do love photography and videoing stuff but more for fun than anything else. Love art as well.

Love reading too. Cept cant bring myself to read novels. They arent true, I cant see the point (I know, I'm weird). Instead its 'how to' manuals or books on massage or cooking or soap making...

OakyPoke

celebrity
31-05-07, 05:18 AM
Other than work and uni and poo picking up and commuting (how does it take no more than an hour to drive 60kms into the city, but at least half an hour from melbourne central to richmond station?)...

Fencing (the poke-you-with-a-big-stick kind). I obviously like wearing white. Although I'm now having to learn how to skip to improve my hand-foot coordination. No big jumps allowed, no bum sticking out allowed, no slow skipping allowed, no big hand movements allowed, no breath holding allowed, no tension allowed, no laughing allowed. That's a lot to think about and still be able to skip. I can skip with two feet, or on my left leg, but I can't alternate and I can't skip on my right leg. So, clearly not a talent. But I figure I'll stick with it because it must be good for my riding. Even if it just makes me lose my cap fat. Oh, speaking of caps, extremely talented at drinking large quantities of coffee :D

Oh, and I love to bake chocolate goodies. Whether I'm talented or not, I can't say, but I don't get too many complaints.

KatieH
31-05-07, 05:22 AM
True, is there really stuff such as spare time! although I must say apart from horses I enjoy holidays at the beach ( mainly when the weater is warm!), I also enjoy sewing ( which is mainly due to either making horse rugs or repairing them! Although I have had a few people ask me to consider producing and selling a few things such a polafleece hoods and neck rugs, which I am now able to after making many able to whip up in about an hour), I also enjoy reading, although don't really get the time for that with all the reading that I have to do with for uni, or simply reding horse mags etc.!I live on a farm and enjoy helping with all the work on it. At the moment we are lambing, so i just love gong around and checking all the sheep and saving ewes and lambs ect. I love animals and therefore am very grateful for having spent all my life on a farm, which there is no way in the world I would exchange! To tell you the truth if i had more spare time I woul simply be buying another young horse or horses to train and compete and then maybe sell! So you see really my 'spare time' is pretty well tired to horses and caring for animals!

Endo
31-05-07, 11:36 PM
I can eat whole fluffy nougat filled egg from Darrel Lea and not feel sick after it...lol

oh, and drink lots of coffee and still fall asleep easy..

Carol
01-06-07, 03:30 AM
When I get the time I like to go fishing, but that has'nt happened for quite a while. Same story with the water skiing and water sports in general. Used to race motor bikes many years ago but have since sold my stable full of motor bikes and filled them with horses!! ;-)

Ruby
01-06-07, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure how talented I am in anything in particular, but this is the type of things I enjoy doing.

After looking after family and horses, I love also looking after our dogs and chooks, and the garden and paddocks - so lots of time spent doing the outside animal/farmy things.

Lately though I have had some sewing lessons so that I can make a few things for my daughter (and the horses!).

My fave thing at the moment however is making beaded jewellry. I have had some lessons and just love knocking up a pair of ear rings or bracelet or necklace to match an outfit (even if it is only jeans and polo shirts...sigh....) I guess its because it is so different to the horsey/dog/garden stuff that I have done for yonks that I'm enjoying it so much. :)

kiwi farmgirl
01-06-07, 04:00 AM
Ha ha ha!
There are sooo many tom boys on here!
And I guess you can add one more to the list!
I don't ride motorbikes (unless you count the 4 wheel farm bike)
But I love deer stalking, duck shooting, helping OH with his farm work on the weekends, trying to use the huntaways to muster stock (not a talent, but I'm trying!)I make a lot of my own horse gear from leather and nylon cord (plaited). I kinda like cooking and I'm trying to grow a vege garden!
Kiwi

Cybergirl
01-06-07, 04:57 AM
I'm semi serious about my running. I've recently upped my standard training run to 10kms, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

I absolutely love dance music and I still stumble out of nightclubs after a very occasional all-nighter. It really is a hobby and a passion of mine. Kind of a religion really.

MissMolly
01-06-07, 08:44 AM
I love anything sporty, I do pilates and sometimes kick boxing, I have played heaps of other sports over time, Hockey, swimming, diving, athletics, running, figure skating, but riding is my passion. I am also a bit creative but again go from thing to thing... bit of a Jack of all, master of... won't say none, maybe some.

Oh and my other talent is being on bloody committee's, Must have sucker written all over me, whenever people can't fill a committee they call me for some stupid reason.. Having a quiet year only on 3 this year....

Rudie, that puppy beagle is SOOOOO cute.

MissMolly
01-06-07, 08:45 AM
PS forgot my other talent, drinking Champagne (or should I say Sparkling Wine)

scooti
01-06-07, 09:12 AM
I'm always amazed at what people can fit in to their lives. I have a lot of other interests other than horses, but I never ever get around to them. Eg. I have a blank canvas ready to paint hanging in the lounge room. It's been there for 6 months and I haven't painted one stroke.

I'm so far behind in all the things I HAVE to do, doesn't leave much space for what I WANT to do. Sad isn't it.

That's it. You've inspired me. I'm going to start my painting tonight when I get home (7.30pm).

....after I feed, cook dinner, do a load of washing, feed the dogs, pay some bills, do the washing up from 3 nights ago.....