PDA

View Full Version : Best Horse Movies?

Jasmine
30-05-07, 12:27 PM
I am having a big slumber party on the weekend & I was wondering what all of your favourite horse movies are???

zzahra84
30-05-07, 12:42 PM
Wild hearts cant be broken- its an oldie but a goodie
Racing stripes- about a zebra but still has horses and is hilarious
Dreamer- a really lovely story
Phar Lap- another classic

They are some of my favourites

Palomino_Pony
30-05-07, 12:43 PM
Seabiscuit
Phar Lap
Hidalgo
Spirit
Horse Whisper - Maybe a little sad
The Man From Snowy River - #1 not #2 its too sad.
Racing stripes
Black Stallion
Black Beauty
Wild Hearts Can't be Broken - it's a pretty old movie and its not focused entirely on horses but i still liked it.
Blue Fire Lady

...Just to name a few

zzahra84
30-05-07, 12:46 PM
Oh and Spirit is a great movie too!

nordic_bec
30-05-07, 12:47 PM
I have to agree with
Phar Lap
Racing Stripes
Spirit
Man from Snowy River (1)

Also
National Velvet
Silver Brumby (has Russell Crowe in it)

Heaps more to choose from - maybe make it a 2 night sleepover

Jasmine
30-05-07, 12:47 PM
zzahra84, I LOVE DREAMER!!!
I own it on DVD, possibly my favourite movie.
Actually, it is!
I have Spirit too, good movie that one.

regalrendezvous
30-05-07, 12:49 PM
Sea Biscuit is my favorite movie oh and the black stallion. I like dreamer as well.

Have fun!

Regal

Jasmine
30-05-07, 12:49 PM
LOL it is a two night sleepover nordic_bec! :)
Friday & Saturday night, with all sunday too.

Jasmine
30-05-07, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone

speller
30-05-07, 12:59 PM
Sea Biscuit, Flicker, Man From Snowy River, Black Beauty, National Velvet, The Black Stallion, Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron, The Horse Whisperer, Into the West just to name a few.

simigirl75
30-05-07, 01:01 PM
(I'll always love this movie and have watched it over and over. Such beautiful cinemaphotography and such stunning horses that portray the Black)

[b]The Black Stallion Returns[b/]
(though 1 is the fav)

[b]Phar Lap[b/]

[b]The Man from Snowy River[b/]

[b]National Velvet[b/]

[b]International Velvet[b/]
(though Sarah's snotty attitude annoys me lol).

[b]Seabiscuit[b/]

[b]Sylvester[b/] (oldie but goodie)

[b/]The Horse Whisper
(naturally the book is even better but the movie does have some really lovely cinemaphotography)

[b]Hidalgo[b/]

Cheers

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/cooltext44924195.gif

carolyn2522
30-05-07, 01:05 PM
I highly recommend a few - but I don't think you will get them from a regular video store. Maybe Amazon on-line (you may be able to buy them on line and download.). All; are suitable for teenagers and adults.

This one you may get. I love it and have watched it many times. - 'In Pursuit of Honour'. A feel-good story (but I appologise in advance for the 'bad scene' - you will know it when you see it). 'A group of cavalry men defy orders to destroy hundreds of army horses. Having disobeyed a direct order, the men are pursued by the military, but now the bullets aren't just aimed at the horses.'

This one is more obscure but a brillant (but old) movie that gets the tears flowing - 'Brady's Escape'. I watched it last week and found it just as good as 5 years ago when I first saw it. It is a story about a US pilot shot down over Hungary in 1944. He is taken in by the local horsemen and befriends a young boy. They with his adopted horse try to evade the Germans.

Now some that are generally available.

Hidalgo - bit weird but some great horse scenes and worth watching.
Dreamer - nice story about a girl, her father and their racehorse.
Sylvester - Another racing story.
The Black Stallion etc.

Almost forgot a beauty 'Into the West' with Gabriel Byrne. Here is a review I found. 'Set mainly in the Ireland the tourist board didn't tell you about, Into the West is the story of a "traveling" family who have given up their traditional life of roaming, and find themselves trying to make it in the gritty, violent projects of Dublin. Gabriel Byrne is excellent as Papa Reilly, a once-proud father and leader whose grief over his wife's death has turned him into a booze-sodden has-been. His two sons, Tito (Ruaidhri Conroy) and Ossie (Ciaran Fitzgerald), escape the projects on an apparently magical white horse, Tir Na Nog, which leads them back to the West. After being forced to steal the horse back from a wealthy and ruthless horse dealer, they are pursued across the increasingly beautiful landscape by virtually all the policemen in Ireland. The much-loved actor David Kelly (Waking Ned Devine) does a nice turn as the grandfather, and Ellen Barkin is a surprising but believable choice as an old "traveling" friend of Papa Reilly. For better or for worse--mainly better--this is not the story Disney would have told: redemptive and uplifting at the end, it's realistic to the point of ugliness on the way there, with a style of cinematography that the Magic Kingdom has never been able to stomach. The younger brother, Ossie, is supposed to be 7, but the story itself is perhaps more appropriate for somewhat older children. Entertainment Weekly's best family video for 1994. --Richard Farr '.

Horsey1
30-05-07, 01:13 PM
What about Archer?? The horse that apparently walked to the Melbourne Cup? I love that movie.

take a break
30-05-07, 01:30 PM
THE SILVER BRUMBY ALL THE WAY!
Great Australian classic

The one thing that doesn't cost anything but is priceless is the trust that your horse has in you...

Werdun
30-05-07, 01:39 PM
>This one is more obscure but a brillant (but old) movie that
>gets the tears flowing - 'Brady's Escape'. I watched it last
>week and found it just as good as 5 years ago when I first
>saw it. It is a story about a US pilot shot down over
>Hungary in 1944. He is taken in by the local horsemen and
>befriends a young boy. They with his adopted horse try to
>evade the Germans.

Eh?! I've always known it as "The Long Ride". Must be the same one though....Kelly Reno from The Black Stallion is the young boy? Excellent and underrated movie.

Have we said Miracle of the White Stallions yet?

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:WuBzI7k9Nf6mAM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/944863/2/istockphoto_944863_horse_cartoon_illustration.jpg
Katherine
www.freewebs.com/werdun

Tara
30-05-07, 01:51 PM
Miracle of the white stallions is good! i've only seen it once when i was home sick and it happened to be on the disney channel many moons ago.

however, nothing, and noone will convince me otherwise, beats the silver brumby. it is the best, i want to be buried with a copy of that movie and all of the books! in fact, i think i might go and watch it right now!

coming in after the silver brumby are: wild hearts can't be broken, hidalgo and phar lap, phar lap always makes me cry, i can't help it, even when i know whats going to happen, if that happened to my pony i would be devastated...
any way, just hire the silver brumby and watch it on repeat!

Glenda_
30-05-07, 01:53 PM
My riding instructor made me watch the man from snowy river after my complaining about bouncing around everywhere when the going gets tough. We watched it with that in mind.. had a laugh and felt much better! Tough riders.

JCA
31-05-07, 12:30 AM
carolyne- Sylvester wasn't a racing story. It was an eventing story about a big grey horse with a 'mean streak (not really) who was taken to the big time. Except they swapped him for another horse in the piaffe/passage sequence. Probably one of my favourite horse films actually.

Anythings better than blue fire lady..... YUCK!

I also like Seabiscuit, phar lap, archer.

Liked The Black Stallion when I was young but probably couldn't watch it now. Same with International Velvet which I'm sure Anthony Hopkins still regrets making.

Atreiou
31-05-07, 12:38 AM
There was a really sweet one on tv not so long ago, it was posted on here can anyone remember what it was?

The Princess stallion, not so good story line but i rewatch it again and again for the gorgeous horse scenes *drool*

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/atreiou/2006_1018NowraBBandcrazystuff0053.jpg
...Ponies are for cuddling...

kylie_2258
31-05-07, 12:41 AM
You MUST watch Dreamer, Officially one of the best horse movies around! I had tears in my eyes hehee im such a softy

Rowdy
31-05-07, 12:58 AM
Crin Blanc
National Velvet
Into the West
The Black Stallion
& one I've never actually seen but it's been described in such detail, I can see it in my minds eye called (I think) Conquistador.

ASHlover
31-05-07, 01:02 AM
Archer is a good movie...

Not apparently, he did walk to the Melbourne Cup - from Nowra....

He did it 3 times.......first 3 Melbourne Cups that were ran, he won the first 2 and was eliminated from the 3rd on a "technicality"...just thought you might be interested.. ;)

But more importantly I used to own the mare that the lead actress rides in "The Silver Brumby"...........which I think is pretty cool!!! :)

Carol
31-05-07, 01:30 AM
My favourites:

Hidalgo (Great movie plus Viggo Mortensen is in it!!!)
Seabiscuit
The Horse Whisperer (a bit sad)

Don't know if this ones still around but it was my favourite as a kid:

Ride a Wild Pony

kelli
31-05-07, 01:35 AM
i watched the remake of ficka yesterday and liked it, nice horses and tim mcgraw is a babe lol, he can be my daddy anyday, i was worried his acting would suck after the first scene but he did pretty good

RH Bobbie
31-05-07, 02:51 AM
I keep mentioning this movie over and over but Ijust love it!
The Long Shot. Based on a true story about a dressage horse who goes blind.
Its such a beautiful moving movie.

kd33
31-05-07, 03:03 AM
Not really a horse movie so to speak but I love the horses in Lady Hawk
& it's really cheap.

scooti
31-05-07, 03:25 AM
My favourite is International Velvet. I watched it everyday after school for a year when I was younger. I can recite almost the whole thing.

what a dag.

okey dokey
31-05-07, 03:25 AM
I used to watch Sylvester, National Velvet and Wild Hearts Cant Be Broken over and over and over.

Also remember one called Lightning the White Stallion, about a showjumper, I think the girl that rides him goes blind partly? cant remember totally, but was great too.

When was The Long Shot made? I havent heard of it at all, wouldn't mind watching that one.

riddlebrook
31-05-07, 03:32 AM
One of my all time favorite is.. Wild Horse Hank. An oldie they dont make anymore and is really hard to get. I have it on video in the american format, and is getting worn. Im trying to find someone who can transfer it to Dvd, or at least pal video.
I love black beauty too, and all the others mentioned here.
Another oldie ive been trying to find is.. A rare breed. Does anyone have it??
RB

katey
31-05-07, 03:36 AM
My favourite horse movie is The Silver Brumby (I have read all the books in the series etc lol)

OakyPoke
31-05-07, 05:12 AM
Whaaaaaaat??

No one mentioned "The Electric Horseman". My favorite favorite movie of all time.

A gorgeous Quarter Horse stallion and a young Robert Redford. Drool factor all round.

(Just ignore the bit about Bute making a horse dopey and you'll be right)

OakyPoke