PDA

View Full Version : Country Park Herbs

Moore Park
31-05-07, 06:09 AM
I am looking into purchasing some products from CPH in particular glucosamine for my older (18yr) dressage horse.
Can anyone tell me if this does make a difference?? What other herbs do you use for particular things> Are they any good?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Piny_Pot
31-05-07, 06:11 AM
Yes i use glucosamine for my oldies and it has helped them so much. They also get rosehips and garlic from CPH. I highly recommend them.

Mo
31-05-07, 06:32 AM
Ditto for the rosehips. I also have my oldies on MSM as well as glucosamine. They work well together.

Cheekyspirt 26
31-05-07, 07:19 AM
Another good one for joints etc is boiled french millet seed. And this also helps with natural weight gain.

country park herbs are fantastic and are always willing to help out.

Oedin
31-05-07, 07:53 AM
I love the herbs from CP, I also find that ACV works great for the oldies.

They are currently helping my little girl to get over a mild case of stringhalt and have helped my guys out with a variety of ails in the past.

centrelink
31-05-07, 08:02 AM
Dont know what you pay for glucosamine from country park but heaps of health food stores stock it and i have found it cheaper than most other places.

Moore Park
31-05-07, 09:12 AM
how much ACV would you use per day to be effective?????
Is this the one that you buy in the supermarket??

Also the glucosamine that you can get in the health food stores is it the same as the equine version?

Clovies
31-05-07, 11:41 AM
MP
I use 1 cup which i think is about 200 or 250ml of ACV a day.
I buy it cheap, but i am located in SE melbourne.
It really depends on your location though!!

Cheers
Clov

Never Look Back! As It's much Clearer Ahead
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/clovies/SV300014-1.jpg
Is that food i see???

centrelink
31-05-07, 11:55 AM
Depends on which brand you use as some add a few vitamins to the mix but generally speaking it is all the same best way is to check the label against the stuff you are buying from the feed stores and make sure it is what you want.

Oedin
01-06-07, 03:18 AM
I buy my ACV from Country Park too, I don't think I'd use the supermarket one but maybe try a health store for that too..

fernloch_girl
01-06-07, 02:45 PM
He, he, he...sorry (MIRTH!). Yes, glucosamine sulphate is the same no matter where you buy it. HAVING SAID THAT, there are differences in quality of glucosamine sulphate and seeing as human products have to comply with TGA standards, they're probably better - so if they're cheaper too, it's a no brainer. Make sure you get the SULPHATE, not the HYDROCHLORIDE, UNLESS your horse has a known sulphur allergy. The dose would be (realistically) at least 5000mg to 7,500mg per day for a 500kg horse.

Hope this helps. Can't believe I'm STILL reading this french millet stuff. Wish I was still bredding zebra finches, they'd be thrilled :)

trish
02-06-07, 02:11 AM
have to agree with you re the french millet.....it was used as a filler in medevial times, the base of gruel, no nutritional benefit, but filled an empty stomach, such a very hard grain to digest, even the birds have trouble, but I suppose if you need to fill up an empty horse and not give them any energy then its a very cheap option.

But I will disagree with the statement that glucosamine sulphate is the same no matter where you buy it. It comes in varying standards, depending on who manuafactures it and where the supplier sourses it from and a lot of substandard stiff is off loaded onto the animal industry, and price is a general refflection of quality with this product.
And the jury is still out as to its actual benefits. Its supposed to rebuild cartilage.........but cartilage cannot be rebuilt it has no actual blood supply, hence why it can be removed if damaged, but the body will not regrow it.
Personally I think its a waste of money and when you consider what its made from really horses shouldn't be eating it, they are herbivores, not carnivores with a digestive system to match and its marketed as a natural product when its actually produced using chemicals.
To many people feed this stuff 'just because' without looking to the future.
The original poster wants to buy some......and the reason is?
So many people come on forums asking for advice on what to use, personally I think this can be a dangerous practice, what works for one persons horse may be entirely unsuitable for another.IMHO

silverpen
02-06-07, 03:28 AM
Hey MP
Before you go with the Glucosamine why don't you give the CP Retirement Blend a go. Lots of good stuff for circulation, mild pain and arthritis. I would team this with rosehips ( good general tonic) and ACV (reccomended dosage is 20-100ml per day) as this is great to stop the formation of the crystals that lead to arthritis.
I have to say I feel a bit the same way as Trish about the Gluc.Sulphate. At least the herbal remedies utilise natural sources that,in an totally natural grazing situation, would be available to the horse.
Also as Trish said, is there a specific reason you want to feed Gluc or are you after a general support treatment for your boy?
I think the mix would be a good start with the rosehips, then once you are on the books as a customer you can have an email consultation with Herbalist Catherine Bird to address any particular issues your horse may have.
:)

jjm
02-06-07, 04:39 AM
can't comment on glucosamine as i don't use it, but i CAN say that carol at country park is an absolute delight to deal with :)

Moore Park
02-06-07, 05:42 AM
Hey silverpen

thanks for the info.....no i just generally want something as a general support as he gets older as he is still being ridden at quite a high level of dressage. He is not really showing any signs of athiritis yet but does take a little longer to warm up then his younger days :)
As he has given me so much over the years (I have had him since he was 4yrs) I really want to make sure that I do the right thing by him in his senior years. I am not one to add lots of junk to their diets but have being reading alot on this forum re glucosamine thats why the original post :) If I can add something that will enable him to be ridden for many years to come then that is a win situation for both of us as I think older horses do better whilst they are still in work!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Clovies
03-06-07, 04:50 AM
Hi MP

I have PMed you back!
Sorry to take soooo long to get back to you
Clov

Never Look Back! As It's much Clearer Ahead
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/clovies/SV300014-1.jpg
Is that food i see???