PDA

View Full Version : Jumping saddles?

eventa
01-06-07, 01:58 AM
This is one for the jumpers and eventers out there, i am currently looking for a jumping saddle, i think i want a wintec pro jump, seconhand of course, i like the equisuede for the whole gripping principle! Has anyone got one of these? Do they put you in a good position and are they as grippy as they look?(with sticky bums of course)

and i suppose if anyone has one out there they want to get rid off, give me a PM

Thanks

DB
01-06-07, 04:32 AM
We tried that one, and we hated it... We also tried the Matt Ryan, hated that, and also the Caprilli Close Contact - which is a contradiction in terms, cos close contact they are not!

We ended up liking the Trainer Pro Deluxe most of all, as well as the Pessoa Legacy. Both these saddles gave exceptionally good position and grip for both cross country and jumping up to and including *. We also loved the Momentum, but couldn't afford it.

We found that the Bates jumping saddles, with the exception of the Momentum, put you in a very backward seat,, and gave very little security around the lower leg. They seem to keep your lower leg away from the horse. I was disappointed, cos my favourite saddle of all time is the Bates Caprilli All Purpose for training. It also hits you in the butt when you jump in it, though.

Just what we found. We do love our Trainer, though, and the buffolo hide is jsut lovely!

eventa
01-06-07, 04:53 AM
ooo all the saddles that you mentioned sound way too out of my price range..tears!!

LOL

Satine
01-06-07, 05:09 AM
I had a wintec pro jump and it was awful. All the things the above poster has described I would have to agree with! So thick under your thigh it encourages you to grip with your knee and take your lower leg off.

A cheap secondhand older Stubben Siegried would be a better choice even though they are not a flat seat they allow a far better position than the wintec jumping saddles.

Have seen these for sale around the $400 - 500 mark.

Good Luck

sassy_k
01-06-07, 08:13 AM
I'll have to contradict the other posters on the wintec. I've got the Wintec Matt Ryan XC saddle and I think it's pretty good, for a budget price saddle of course :) I've had it for a number of years and it has met my needs perfectly. I'm about to upgrade to a new saddle - it's taken me awhile but now I can afford the jumping equivalent of my dressage saddle :)

Our ability to dream is what sets us apart ~ Our ability to achieve those dreams is what makes each of us extraordinary :)

Lisa an Gypsie
01-06-07, 08:44 AM
I LOVE my trainers saddle, I got it 2nd hand from a seller on one of the horsey websites for $800 so not much more than a wintec. The saddle is fantastic and just so comfortable. It has improved my position 100% and I just love it....can't comment on the wintecs as I have not ridden in one.

I would recomend going for a 2nd hand model of a more expensive model....much better for the money.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lisaangypsie/signature2.jpg

jumpa
01-06-07, 11:47 AM
I love my wentworth..

I agree that your better off getting a second hand quality saddle than a new cheaper saddle

Just Ace
01-06-07, 01:06 PM
absolutely love my close contact! Cant fault it!

regalrendezvous
01-06-07, 01:10 PM
I agree with Lisa...buy a 2nd hand more exprensive (but older model) the better saddles make all the difference.

I also love my wentworth :D

Regal

Celtic
02-06-07, 12:42 AM
"A cheap secondhand older Stubben Siegried would be a better choice even though they are not a flat seat they allow a far better position than the wintec jumping saddles."

I second that love my Stubben Siegfried and they will last alot longer if you look after them than a wintec too! 1/2 deep seat gives you a nice secure position if you're learning as well.

http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/861i3.gif[/img][/url]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/l5v2s.gif[/img][/url] http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

eventa
02-06-07, 01:09 AM
Hmm, thanks for all your opinions, my only issue with these leather jumping saddles is the whole no grip factor, i mean probabley less grip than a wintec with sticky bums.

I'l be jumping about 1.10-1.30..so its really important that i stay on! haha! Though on the other hand if these leather ones put you in a better position then i suppose you may not have to grip on soo much..

Another problem is i havent ever ridden in a leather jumping saddle, ive always been in wintecs for jumping and i have a bates leather one for dressage..so id hate to buy a leather one and hate it and start all over again ive got quite a few comps coming up and dont really have time to stuff about...GRRR..i hate these decisions....

Reg
02-06-07, 03:40 AM
Have you considered if grip & stickiness is the biggest factor you have to look for that maybe you shouldnt be jumping 1.10 to 1.30?
And that jumping (any height) is not all about how hard you can grip?

But on the other hand - maybe a leather saddle,sticky bum jods and a few tins of top boot sticky plastered on your bum may do the job....

The saddle thing has been covered quite extensively - I think you will find it does come down to personal opinion - whats good for one isnt for another....

Good luck

Reg

eventa
02-06-07, 04:43 AM
OUCH...

LOL..Thanks for your sarcastic opinion Reg, i will not retaliate, even though i would like too.

So everyone knows though i am capable and have been jumping this height for quite some time now, i only ask the question as i always jumped in a wintec a/p and i thought it was time i upgraded to a specific jumping saddle. I think im going to go with a used pessoa

BecMc
02-06-07, 05:59 AM
I'll put in my 2 cents.

I had a Wintec "Matt Ryan" I found that the flaps were cut so far forward that the saddle ended sitting a little to far back. It was also so long that the seat twisted when I rode and gave spuddy sore loins. Spuddy was pretty round / wide through the back though.

I ended with a Bates Caprilli Close contact. I love it and have jumped/ evented in it for about 4 years now. It was $1000 on e-bay with cair, in great nic.

I find it similar to riding bare back. I can feel all his muscles move. The seat is stable so dosn't twist. It, unlike the trainer doesn't have heaps of padding under the flap, which I find inhibits my movements and puts long legs in the wrong possition.

Any leather saddle will be more slipry than the wintec, but the ride you will get is sooooo much more improved that you'll put up with it. Go try some second hand saddles and test them first. I recently changed dressage saddles and I still can't believe how much improvement I got in the dressage marks, jsut from that.

eventa
02-06-07, 06:10 AM
Thanks Bec Mc!

What dressage saddle did you switch to if you dont mind me asking?

I have a bates dressage, but am thinking of switching also, just to upgrade really, nothing wrong with the saddle.

There havent been many good reports at all concerning the wintecs!

I think ive decided on the pessoa though

ss
02-06-07, 10:11 AM
we have a Bates Caprilli close contact in ex condition 2 yrs old, brown leather, exchangeable gullet with cair for sale,

also a Michael Whittaker also 2 yo in ex condition, specifically good for a horse with a short back & high wither.

PM me if you are interested

Just Ace
02-06-07, 11:33 AM
I dont think that "stickyness" has anything to do with leather/non leather, more the riders balance and seat. Maybe try the sticky stuff for your boots etc if that is your issue. Also height shouldnt make a difference. If you are competant enough to ride at that height then you should have reasonable balance regardless of the saddle. It would just be a comfort issue.

zzahra84
02-06-07, 11:43 AM
I have a bates caprilli close contact and a wintec 500 close contact and find them both fantastic to jump in and are really comfy.
I find the equileather on the wintec slippery compared to the leather of the caprilli and the leather does actually offer pretty good grip.

aussie
02-06-07, 12:03 PM
Well said reg!

I am sure there is plenty of riders out there that can ride in leather jumping saddles, without sticky bums and you wouldnt believe it but yes.......... jump upwards of 110cm!!! *gasp*
What about those poor kids who cant afford a saddle or sticky bums, They would have to flee the cops riding bareback with no pants on!

Lisa an Gypsie
02-06-07, 12:26 PM
Don't have any problems jumping 1.10m or above without sticky bums, I actually genrally ride without sticky bums as I find them somewhat constrictive at times depending on seat type. I don't slip around on my saddle at all (could only see me doing this if the saddle was too big). Besides what do you think mane was put there for :P lol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lisaangypsie/signature2.jpg

zzahra84
02-06-07, 12:29 PM
I also dont ride with sticky bums! Find that I stick too much :)

jumpa
02-06-07, 01:17 PM
from a riding perspective you shouldnt need to grip to jump but thats beside the point - you will find that the better leather jump saddles are awesome. i would take a saddle that put me in a better position over a saddle that gave me "grip" any day...

celebrity
03-06-07, 01:23 AM
I love my Pessoa. Had it for years and would rather sell the horse than the saddle. The second hand ones are better than the new, apparently.

RBobby
03-06-07, 09:32 AM
I'm in the saddle market too, so you have my sympathy with anything that could and most probably go wrong!

I have tried the Bates and Wintec, and personally I hate riding in them. To me they restrict and mess up my position, making it harder for me and the horse to ride well.

Also I've been told by two of my friends who have owned/are ownng wintecs that they're great for a month or so, but soon you want a better saddle, so it really was a waste as then the had to go back looking.

If it's because of the price, there are some 2nd hand leather saddles out there that are great to ride in and not too expensive. You just have to keep looking.

Reg
03-06-07, 10:31 AM
Righto, wasnt trying to be offensive

BUT, if you are a competant rider, then stickybums and a grippy saddle arent the biggest factors to take care of... thats all I was saying.
If budget constraints mean a synthetic then fair enough - but see if you can beg or borrow one for a bit before you buy - because some put you in crap position, which is also very dependent on how it fits your horse.

Pessoa are ok, they have a good name and have been around a while, but i think for the mid priced, decent leather jumping saddle you cant go past a Whittaker. Just a lovely saddle to ride in, they dont compromise your position at all, and they fit the average TB quite well.

Reg

Roquen
03-06-07, 12:26 PM
I have a bates flat seat and I hate it. It initially was great as I had moved from jumping 1m in a hubertus AP to the bates, so initially I thought I was in heaven. Have since decided it keeps my lower leg way to far away, I can't feel anything, and the position is awful, I'm actually getting back pain from it now, so am going to sell it. It could just be that it doesn't suit me (it fits horse perfectly though).

I'm looking at trying a Pessoa/Whittaker or similar. Only jumping 80cm on this new horse (5yo) but once he moves up to D grade I want to know the saddle is putting me in the best position possible.

If you go from synthetic to leather, its really no biggie, you get used to it fast and it won't feel slippery, I prefer leather now that I am using it!