PDA

View Full Version : Cool Calories - worth a try?

pinkchoobaby
01-06-07, 03:06 AM
Has anyone used this product? I've copied a description of it below - does it look like it's worth a try? Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous post on fattening up.

(I copied this from the website www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au)

"A 100% dry vegetable fat product for weight gain, focused energy and hair coat condition.

Fed and recommended by top equestrians like 30-time World and Reserve World Champion trainer, 2000 World's Greatest Horseman, NRCHA and NRHA Futurity winner, Bob Avila.

Research has shown the addition of fat and reduction in carbohydrate decreases excitability in horses, making COOL CALORIES 100 the ideal calorie source for all types of performance horses.

COOL CALORIES 100 contains 5 times the fat of an equal amount of high-fat, stabilized rice bran. Just 8 lbs. of COOL CALORIES 100 has the fat content of 40 lbs. of rice bran!

COOL CALORIES 100 has a delicious smell, is presented in a dry, beaded form, and is very palatable. COOL CALORIES 100 does not conflict with fortified feeds, contains no sugar or carbohydrates, is easy to feed, and is safe and economical

Ingredients:

Vegetable fat partially hydrogenated, preserved with tocepherols and artificial flavor.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Fat Min 99.0%
Total Fatty Acid, Min 95.0%
Free Fatty Acids, Mac 1.0%
Unsaponifiable Matter, Max 1.5%
Insoluble Impurities, Max 0.5%
Moisture, Max 1.0% "

JCA
01-06-07, 03:22 AM
To be honest, feeding a horse trans-fats (google trans fats if you don't know what I'm talking about) sounds like a ridiculously unhealthy way to put weight on.

It's really just cholesterol.

I feed some vegie oil to my horse, yes the cheapest I can find, but it's still polyunsaturated. I would be very hesitant to try this as we are trying to stamp out transfats in human consumption and now we are going to feed it to horses? An animal that predominantly is supposed to eat an exceedingly low fat, high carbohydrate diet?

Just be careful.

Delta72
01-06-07, 01:00 PM
Where was trans-fats mentioned??? The total fat content is stated.

Horses dont have the same problems with fat and cholesterol in the diets as we humans do. Horses basically dont live long enough for fatty diets to pose a long term health risk, unlike us!!

The main problem with high fat diets in horses is that it creates scouring issues. And extra minerals/vitamins supplementation (especially Vit E) must be provided, as fat contains no nutritional goodness at all except energy.

Delta72
01-06-07, 02:30 PM
But at $48 for just 3.6kg, Cool Calories isnt exactly economical to use!!