PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes grass or sorghum hay

Hippie
02-06-07, 01:06 AM
Has anyone ever fed rhodes grass or sorghum hay to horses? If so, did the horses like it? Would you recommend it? I am tossing up between rhodes, sorghum, oaten or wheaten in big square bales being trucked in from somewhere, as I'm trying to get away from the lucerne (which is all I can get around here). Thanks in advance for any comments!

ASHlover
02-06-07, 01:17 AM
It is my understanding that horses cannot eat sorghum......but am not certain.

Any of the other 3 would be fine, and enjoyed by the ponies I imagine :)

Bats_79
02-06-07, 01:23 AM
There's something about sorghum - it has to be tested to make sure it was cut at the right time?

lourdes77
02-06-07, 01:57 AM
I was to believe that sorghum if it had been stressed (lack of water or whatever )was toxic to horses but if it was not stressed was fine to feed

(hmmmmm wonders if sorghum had a bad day at work and that was how it got stressed lol)

ISAAC
02-06-07, 02:07 AM
Totally agree with the replys on the sorghum..too much acid content I think????
We have started our horses on Rhodes grass round bales with a bit of lucerne mixed in..its going to save our a$$ this winter..

Fair Embrace
02-06-07, 02:21 AM
I feed plain rhode grass hay and rhodes grass mixed with lucerne.
I've found that the horses tend to pick at the rhodes grass but if there is nothing else available they will eat it all. I also was pouring a little molasses over the rhodes grass hay which the horses seem to love.

Syzygy
02-06-07, 02:24 AM
Rhodes or oaten. Keep away from sorghum and wheat.

Neisje
02-06-07, 03:39 AM
Having grown up in 'sorghum' country LOL I can tell you horses LOVE it and they get FAT on it! BUT you CANNOT feed it to pregnant mares it causes abortion. So if you have mares I'd not bother even trying it! Oaten hay is great, wheaten hay OK but not ideal for horses. I wish I had your problem, I prefer to feed Lucerne but can't get it so I am stuck using Oaten :-(

Neisje

shaiarabs
02-06-07, 04:03 AM
yep stay away from the sorghum

you know what I find funny

you guys over east love the lucerne and prefer that, BUT over here all we have is oaten so all those lovely gorgous WA horse are on nothing but oaten hay!!! there is nothing wrong with oaten its brilliant roughage as is wheaten hay but the wheaten is moslty exported.

but lucerne should be fed carefully due to it throwing out the cal/mag ratio in your horses diets among other possible probs ie founder, tieing up.

horses in WA usually only get lucerne chaff and then its 1/3rd lucerne to 2/3rds oaten or wheaten chaff

the only time you get trouble with oated or wheaten is if a horse has a specific allergy

Liesl

simigirl75
02-06-07, 04:49 AM
Some parts of Qld will only have a choice of Rhodes or Sorghum. I buy from a farmer occasionally and he was transporting semi loads down of his hay down to the South Qld. He said recently all he will have is sorghum and that will be transported down soon.

I was concerned about feeding the sorghum but he told me that my horses would be fine on it. I haven't had to buy any yet and now am I'm a little concerned after reading this post.

Cheers

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/cooltext44924195.gif

tgh05
02-06-07, 04:59 AM
I believe that sorghum is fine as long as it is cut for horses.

I seem to remember being told that horse sorghum is cut early.

simigirl75
02-06-07, 05:04 AM
That makes sense because the farmer did say that it would be cut at a certain time for the horses and to let him know if I wanted him to hold any for me (he's a lovely man).

Cheers

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/cooltext44924195.gif

Neisje
02-06-07, 12:26 PM
Hi Liesl, I'd have to disagree with you about the lucerne, its the best nutrition and safest hay to feed and far better than any other types of hay

Most of my horses are breeding stock and babies, and I really prefer them to have Lucerne hay. BUT I also balance things out, when they are on lucerne hay they are on oaten chaff in their feeds, but now that all I can get is Oaten hay they get Lucerne chaff in their feeds. Oaten hay is a good hay, all mine are fat as pigs on it. But I hate that it attracts the mice and rats, they love it! But they leave the lucerne alone :-)

Oh and for founder lucerne is better for them to be on! Foundered or founder prone horses need to be on low sugar and carbs but are allowed to have fat and protien. So oaten hay/chaff is out but lucerne hay/chaff is fine for them.

Have a look at this article http://www.equiworld.net/uk/horsecare/feeding/articles/d/dengielaminitis.htm

It actually says that Alfalfa (lucerne) is an ideal feed for horses with laminitis as it is low in both 'sugar' and starch and has an energy or 'calorie' content equivalent to coarse mixes and cubes.

Never had a horse tie up so don't know if lucerne is bad for that. But I have cared for lots of foundered horses (including my sisters two shetlands that arrived at my place a few weeks ago) and first thing I do is take them off there oaten chaff that they are nearly always on and put them on lucurne chaff, my sisters ponies have gone from barely being able to walk to trotting around the paddock just with that change! And we had an old TB in at work who had severe laminitis and the vets put him on a diet of add lib lucerne hay as they said it was the safest thing for him to be fed.

Neisje

>you know what I find funny
>
>you guys over east love the lucerne and prefer that, BUT
>over here all we have is oaten so all those lovely gorgous
>WA horse are on nothing but oaten hay!!! there is nothing
>wrong with oaten its brilliant roughage as is wheaten hay
>but the wheaten is moslty exported.
>
>but lucerne should be fed carefully due to it throwing out
>the cal/mag ratio in your horses diets among other possible
>probs ie founder, tieing up.
>
>horses in WA usually only get lucerne chaff and then its
>1/3rd lucerne to 2/3rds oaten or wheaten chaff
>
>the only time you get trouble with oated or wheaten is if a
>horse has a specific allergy
>
>Liesl

Neisje
02-06-07, 12:28 PM
From memory (been about 20 years since I fed sorghum) its the seed that is the problem, so I think for horses it has to be cut before it seeds.

Neisje

>Some parts of Qld will only have a choice of Rhodes or
>Sorghum. I buy from a farmer occasionally and he was
>transporting semi loads down of his hay down to the South
>Qld. He said recently all he will have is sorghum and that
>will be transported down soon.
>
>I was concerned about feeding the sorghum but he told me
>that my horses would be fine on it. I haven't had to buy any
>yet and now am I'm a little concerned after reading this
>post.
>
>
>
>Cheers
>
>http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/cooltext44924195.gif

gg_vice
02-06-07, 12:33 PM
Many years ago, lost a very beautiful weanling filly through feeding Sorghum. Died of 'toxic gut'.
[http://www.mi-feed.com.au/main.php?page=nutrition]

Troppo
02-06-07, 02:53 PM
Here in the top end I feed Fine Cut Rhodes Grass hay later in the dry season when pasture is scarcer. The horses like it but dont gorge on it as they would if fed ad lib cavalcade or lucerne. For the horses in work they still get their hard feed plus a biscuit of legume hay. The stockhorses that only get used occasionally do well just on the hay.