PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Beer - ?

fire_ball
02-06-07, 04:44 AM
Some American horse owners recently mentioned on a different horse list about feeing their horses a beer once a week, to maintain healthy hindgut.

Does anyone have any info re: feeding horses beer or not. I'm sure there are plenty of AA ponies out their raiding their owners VBs or XXXX.

Mel

glimmer
02-06-07, 04:49 AM
my dad used to do home brew and the dregs in the bottom are like molasses i think. dunno, but the horses liked it.

yaears
02-06-07, 04:53 AM
When I wuz a kid,the local riding stable used to get a regular delivery of used brewers grain from the Brewery.

Liz
02-06-07, 04:56 AM
Guinness and other stouts often used to be fed to horses who were a bit "under the weather" ...

simigirl75
02-06-07, 05:02 AM
I fed flat beer to my TB several weeks ago when he had bad colic. I wasn't having any luck getting a vet out and having down it successfully years ago, gave it ago. My boy did come good and I believe the beer had a lot to do with it. I spoke to the vet and told him what I'd done and he had no problem with me using the beer to get bowel movment. I'd fed my horse about 2 1/2 tallies gradually over 1/2hour.

Many many years ago I could get a product called Brewery Grain. It was the yeast/etc mix left over from brewing beer. I had a very hard to keep weight on TB and just an icecream container of this stuff added to her feed daily and she just bloomed and it didn't take long for her to gain the weight needed. No doubt it was full of vitamin B.

I tried a few years ago to get it up here in Townsville but couldn't get any. Last year on my honeymoon I called into the produce I'd bought it from many years ago (North Brissy) but they didn't have it and didn't remember the product.

I think feeding your horse a beer once a week certainly couldn't hurt and I don't doubt it could be of benefit to your horse for good gut function. Mmmm I'd just have to wrestle the beer off my hubby first lol!

Even better would be if you could brew your own to save $$$.

Cheers

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/cooltext44924195.gif

Werdun
02-06-07, 05:13 AM
There are quite a few chiros around who recommend adding a beer to the horse's feed after a treatment on the theory that it helps "flush" the toxins out that were released from the treatment.

Dunno about once a week...at what point is it beneficial and what point is it wasteful or detrimental? At what point does the OH crack a fruity at you raiding the beer supply for the horse (or vice versa)?

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:WuBzI7k9Nf6mAM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/944863/2/istockphoto_944863_horse_cartoon_illustration.jpg
Katherine
www.freewebs.com/werdun

scooti
02-06-07, 05:14 AM
I posted about this ages ago, as my next door neighbour (non-horsey) told me to feed mine beer one night when she had mild colic. I'm trying to remember back, I think the general opinion was that it would work for some colic and make other colic worse. I'll try and find the thread in the archives.

fire_ball
02-06-07, 05:16 AM
LOL, well I don't my "OH" would mind at all.... seeing as he is the horse in question!!

Seriously though I might give it a try one day. Even just to give the horse a bit of a treat!

simigirl75
02-06-07, 05:20 AM
On the night my TB had the colic I spoke to a vet from out of town (couldn't get hold of local vet). She said feeding the beer was fine and then told my local vet a few days later when I got him to check my horse out and do his teeth. He had no problem with it either.

I wouldn't recommend any feed beer for colic as I'd advise getting a vet in the first place but for us at the time we didn't have much choice and fortunately it was of benefit.

Cheers

scooti
02-06-07, 05:21 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.cyberhorse.com.au/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=37546&forum=equestrian

My memory is a little screwy though. I asked about sunlight soap, not beer, but beer was brought up in the thread.

scooti
02-06-07, 05:22 AM
And just for curiosity, what's a 'tallie' simi?

sassy
02-06-07, 05:25 AM
Brewers yeast is very good for horses and cattle.

simigirl75
02-06-07, 05:28 AM
Hehehe a tallie or a long neck is the same thing. It's not a standard stubby size bottle but the size up (the biggest you can get. Think it is equivilent to 2 1/2 stubbies??)

Lol I don't drink beer but just remember the slang tallie and long neck (same but different slang in different states) from my dad drinking beer.

Cheers

scooti
02-06-07, 05:34 AM
'Long-neck' - got it!

Tarli_01
02-06-07, 07:40 AM
A Few years ago my horse got bitten by a large spider and she came up in a massive welt like you have never seen and she nearly died from it. a friend recommended to me to feed her warm beer. apparently it reacks with the spider bit and she came good. although she was on other medication i definately recommend warm beer to anyone....

Tarli :)
...I only work to support my horse addiction....

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3834/a780ae4f5cd0f9ed9879003hg7.gif (http://www.glitterkiss.com)

Fair Embrace
02-06-07, 07:50 AM
I know beer will cure a minor stomach ache in a horse and I know a lot of horses who absolutely love beer.
I don't know if it's of any real benefit to them though, my miniature pony almost knocks us over for beer and drinks one bottle at least twice a weeks. Although she is a little fatty and definitely not losing any condition her coat is atrocious, so they beer doesn't help at that end.

puddled
07-06-07, 03:40 PM
Over the years we have often tried one wives tale or another some with success other not so grand. We purchased the most gorgeous purebred arab mare some years back we got her cheap because she was skin and bone and I mean bone. We tried everything but she just wouldn't put on weight till I tried the good old stout. The local bottlo gave me a couple of very out of date cartons and the mare loved it, Her coat picked up and the weight started to creep on. After I'd fed her the freeby stubs I thought the best way (and cheapest) was to brew my own I'd purchase the stuff at the local shop and brew away. Not an easy thing to do the dam stuff blew up and I came home one afternoon to be greeted by this mass of brown frothy stuff hanging from every available part of the shed.
I also had to cut back when the vet advised me that my show horses might produce a positive swab. They loved the stuff and wouldn't eat the bowl clean without the regulation stubby of stout.
So off to AA they went, OW and the shed has never been cleaner.

hands_on_horses
08-06-07, 01:48 AM
Can help assist with choke too.

One of my horses choked on some dry lucerne hay a few years back - we (cast of about 6) tried to dislodge with water down the throat etc whilst horse was trying to throw himself on the ground. I asked if anyone had a beer as he loves to drink beer (this was about 11am mind you) - and yes, magically a 6 pack appeared from someones "first aid kit" - horsey drank 1 stubbie beer mixed with 1 stubbie water from a dish and dislodged the blockage. (with me massaging the blockage too).

A handy tool is a lone beer when needed eh.

Piny_Pot
08-06-07, 02:06 AM
Yep also heard of beer for horses with colic. i havent tried it myself but some people i know used it on their pony when he got a mild case and it fixed him right up.

If one of mine did come down with colic it would be one of the first things i would try after calling the vet.

Sunspot
08-06-07, 02:44 AM
http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/iah/protexin.htm

( Hi ( And thankyou ) Speller ! )

Princess Paris
08-06-07, 02:51 AM
Many years ago when I was working for an Irish event rider in the UK he used to get us to poor a can (about 1 1/2 the size of our normal cans here) of guiness into each horses feed each night, they got it fairly regualarly. At least four nights a week. Could just be that they were Irish ;-) but it think the Vit B etc in it was good for their coats.

My next door neighbour also gave my mare some flat beer one night when she looked Colicy and we weren't home. She came good but not sure if it was becasue of the beer or just coincidence. He kept an eye on her. But vet would be my first point of call with any colic case!

ally2
08-06-07, 03:54 AM
thought I had found the definitive answer in the latest 'Hoofbeats' magazine "Facts & Fallacies" ....
'Despite all the old stories. colic should never be treated with beer and it is a matter that requires veterinary attention."
don't know if the writer Amanda McPherson is qualified to give this advice but it seems from peoples experience vets are happy with the treatment particularly if they have difficulty getting to the horse...I have a friend who swears by giving colicky horses a dose of Canterbury salts ..seems to work for her & the last time we could not get a vet in reasonable time to a colicky mare we gave her the same treatment & by the time the vet did arrive she was on the mend & he didn't look aghast when we told him what we had given her - just luck with these treatments? who knows & as colic has many causes & can be a major or minor ailment

catnipped
08-06-07, 04:25 AM
LOL I gave a couple of beers to my slightly colicy pony and hubby was disraught! Cured the pony though!