PDA

View Full Version : Wied Bad Habbits

Glenda_
06-06-07, 03:17 PM
Ok, so its the middle of the night and im sitting up surrounded by tissues, anticol wrappers and various cough preventing paraphanalia for the third night in a row... and there she goes again! My founder prone pony of whom lives in the backyard with the dogs is banging her chin on a 44 drum. This has a soothing rythm, and with each bang the drum mooves 1cm or so, and by morning she will have it down the hill and somewhere different to yesterday, leaving a wiggly path of marks in the mud. Has she developed this habbit through boredom, or has she just got the renovating bug? Poor neigbors.. they sleep closer to her than I do. Her chin is none the worse by the way. Any one else got any bad habbits that are a bit quieter that I can tell her about?

mandybale
06-06-07, 11:13 PM
thats interesting, I always wondered why my drums were in different places every time I look, and my two have lots of grass to keep them occupied!!! My gelding has a habit of standing at the water trough, filling his mouth up with water then letting it dribble out!! He only tends to do this in the hot weather though. I was thinking of getting them one of those horse balls to play with.

Fair Embrace
07-06-07, 12:51 AM
It's funny the little games they play to amuse themselves. I used to tie plastic bottles up in my stables with a few pellets in the bottom and this seemed to keep my horses occupied for hours trying to work out how to get those pellets out. One day my very hungry quarterhorse gelding decided it was easier to mash the bottle flat and drag it up and down the mesh on the wall which created an awful racket. I bought him a jolly ball but I think he was trying to start a band constantly raking his teeth up and down the mesh.
Another one of my horses has a habit of taking his feeder from the top of the paddock he is in and rolling it all the way down the bottom into the creek.
I don't know why any of mine do these silly things but it seems to keep them occupied.
I've never really notice if mine are moving their barrels around but I'll keep my eye out for it now.

Atreiou
07-06-07, 01:04 AM
Emmy tosses his head, like full on 360, don't have any photos though, He occasionally runs string that holds his rugs up between his teeth like dental floss, very disturbing, I always worry he'll cut his mouth on it!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/atreiou/Bee/2006_1018NowraBBandcrazystuff0053.jpg

...Ponies are for cuddling...

bellestarr
07-06-07, 02:14 AM
Mine love demolishing the arena and show jumps when I put them in there for a pick. They pull all the letters off of their stands, knock the drums and poles all over the place and generally create disarray.
Christo likes to grab any rug or jumper in reach and toss it wildly around his head. Then stomps on them and drags them through the dirt. He also picks up big sticks and chases the other horses with them. Very funny he thinks.

Bellestarr
http://www.brumbiesrun.com
"To practise equestrian art is to establish a conversation on a higher level with the horse; a dialogue of courtesy and finesse." Nuno Oliveira

_bopeep_
07-06-07, 05:21 AM
I have an 8 months old Filly who just chews on everything, Her buddy Tom got a beautiful new rug this winter and her favourite game is to grab it with her teeth and lean back as far as she can, as if trying to pull it off. Good old Tommy dosen't even bat an eye lid.
Maybe she wants a nice rug of her own!

Neisje
07-06-07, 05:54 AM
Mmmm well I have or have had in the past - one who uses her metal feed tin to scratch the back of her fetlocks, by holding the tin still with one foot in it while scratching the other on the edge of the bin. Makes a real nice sound in the middle of the night! One who hangs over the gate and presses down on her throat until she starts to cough and choke if your late with her food! One who hooks her foot on the bottom wire of the fence and 'twangs' it over and over! (I fixed her, I electrified it LOL) One who hangs over the fence till the dogs come over then grabs them and picks them up! A stallion who can get out of/open anything and when he's bored just goes 'walk abouts' (yeah great thing for a stallion to do huh!) One mare who does that head toss thing someone else said there horse does (makes you feel dizzy just watching it!) A stallion who will play for hours with his horse ball, but once he has killed it beyond recognition, will pull branches off trees and throw them at the dogs to stir them up :-) will pull the rails off his serving boards and lay them in his water trough, will walk around and around in circles with the chest of his rug in his mouth kinda like a dog chasing it's tail LOL

I'm sure there are lots more I can't think of at the moment, sometimes I look at my horses and the stuff they are doing and just think mate what planet did you come from? LOL

Neisje

Fair Embrace
07-06-07, 07:49 AM
That was great for a giggle, your horses sound like the best entertainment ever. It's funny the things we forget them doing until someone asks us to thinkabout it.

pauper
07-06-07, 08:59 AM
Glenda my pony has a wierd habit that i would love to cure him of!
when you lift up his off hind leg he pops off in your face :o !
happens each and every time and is always the same leg!
is a good party trick if you want to annoy someone though LOL.
cheers Pauper

Birthdays are good! they mean your still alive!

kylie_2258
07-06-07, 09:36 AM
Hi Pauper... Hehehe speaking of picking up hind legs, I once saw this trainer who was picking out a young colts feet get POOPED ON! ON THE HEAD!!!!!!! hahahah it was funny... He didnt think so

Sunspot
07-06-07, 10:06 AM
http://freckles.hothost.tv/horsepoop.swf

PS: Kyles, if you want's to hoof it somewhere this weekend, come into chat tonite or send me a mail

Mark

Glenda_
07-06-07, 10:50 AM
hehe love the poop on the head thing, i went within an inch of that one! Brand new pony, Everyone I know over checking her out, and im cleaning her back feet when everyone started yelling. Im going off at them for yelling while im under a new horses back feet but I got out in time. Poor thing was just nervous of the crowd. I have a friend that has an appy that drags his feed bucket around the paddock with him, Incase it fills up.

Hay check out me spelling on the heading (sigh) I have the flu ok?

MissMolly
07-06-07, 12:47 PM
my old horse used to swish all the water in his bath around and make a whirl pool, then dunk his WHOLE head (ears, eyes everything) in the middle for quite a few seconds, whilst all the water still swished around. He would then come up snort and do it again. Also if the hose flicked out of the bath when filling it, he would chase and paw at the water running down the hill. He was such a wally, loved having the hose squirted right at his face...

Fair Embrace
09-06-07, 05:19 AM
Not my horse, but a thoroughbred mare we had out at our place for a spell has gone back into work. She has a box and a small yard with a big tree in it. Now when she was at my place she was a serial fence walker, now that she's in work she's a serial tree climber. I kid you not, she is getting up on her back legs, pawing up the tree with her front legs and eating all the bark off the area she can furtherest reach.