PDA

View Full Version : 9 month preggies

elle_belle
13-07-07, 01:56 PM
I started a topic a while back for 7 month old mares..but what curious that maiden mares can hide it well can't they? I don't think my mare is 9 months infoal but I have been asking around and showing pics and they seem to reckon no..any hints of guessing? I can put the pics up upon request. Thanks.

taliem
14-07-07, 01:33 AM
Hi Elle_belle,

I'm in the same boat with a maiden!! She had her last scan at 42 days, all well, all happy. She's supposed to be due next month but she doesn't look at all in foal, just a fat mare! I'm crossing everything that it's still there and she's just hiding it well :)

regards

Leigh

TasconPark
14-07-07, 01:38 AM
I recently tried an 'old horsemans' trick for checking if a mare is in foal and all you need to do is check the bottom jaw under her tongue, if pregnant they will look red and swollen, much like the shape of a pimples with head, when they are not in foal you can still see them but they just look like spots.

I'll try get some photos today if I can.

Werdun
14-07-07, 01:45 AM
Yep, I've got a maiden in the same boat. I suspect she is because there she has filled out in the right places, but she's not *big* at all and no telltale bulges anywhere. Having said that, a couple of months ago, she was noticeably bigger on her left side than her right.

Tascon, I'd love to see a photo. I saw you mention it on another forum, but I can't quite picture what/where you're talking about! I do have a (definitely) pregnant mare that I can compare to. Unless you want to pop around for a cuppa and show me in person? :O

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:WuBzI7k9Nf6mAM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/944863/2/istockphoto_944863_horse_cartoon_illustration.jpg
Katherine
www.freewebs.com/werdun

Princess Paris
14-07-07, 02:00 AM
When my mare was a maiden she didn't look pregnant at all right up to the day she foaled, just a bit chubby and her legs were a bit swollen and if she cut herself it would take forever to heal and left a scar. Her teats didn't even wax up, the only sign was that she got agetated the evening of the night she foaled when I took her mate out of her paddock for the night which had been done for several nights and she wasn't upset by it accept for this night.

taliem
14-07-07, 04:24 AM
Oh guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed it's still in there :)

I, too, would love to see the photo's mentioned re under the tongue. Very interesting.

regards

Leigh