PDA

View Full Version : Grazing muzzles

opensky
07-08-07, 12:44 PM
I'm interested in people's experience with grazing muzzles. Are they effective?

Ecogal
07-08-07, 01:06 PM
I couldn't have got by without a grazing muzzle for my shetland x. It is very effective and enables my pony to be with her buddies instead of locked up. She gets to wander around enabling self exercise and has small amounts of food still going through her system for good health. My cheeky pony was a good test of the muzzles staying power, never had a problem, apart from having to sew on a small section of terry toweling to prevent a bit of rub where it rests on her nose. Introduce it gradually, so as to not instantly cut their food intake, check they have drinking with it on downpat, and also graduate when you stop using it. It's quite amazing how quickly they adapt to wearing it. My pony was in some pretty serious pasture with no ill effect.

I think if you do a search on the forum you will see some previous replies to the topic.

Cheers.

macrannoch
07-08-07, 01:14 PM
They are great, my black Mare was renamed Hannibal, because of hers.

Make sure that they have a large surface for the water.

The only problem you may have is once they learn how to get it off, it is harder to keep it on. I like it as I know i can safely put my horse out with the others and it limits what she can eat, they still eat but not as much, that way I didn't have to deal with a cranky horse form being locked up.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/macrannoch/Glitter-Macrannoch1.gif
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ What we learn to do, we learn by doing ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

opensky
07-08-07, 01:15 PM
Thanks Ecogal for your reply and yes, I'll hunt back through previous topics.

RH Bobbie
07-08-07, 01:18 PM
Another thumbs up!
My welshy has one, and although he is less than impressed with having to wear it Its a huge benefit on the long run :)

Glenda_
07-08-07, 01:33 PM
I used one on my founder prone welsh x and she managed to still get enough feed to remain a bit too fat.. so I dont risk her in it on any amount of actual grass ( that green stuff in the photos of the old days). I really had to consider it before i first used it.. I ran a survey around work- Would you rather be with your mates in a room full of your very favourite food and not be allowed to eat it, or on your own without temptation? scores were even!
Anyway she was miserable in it and drove herself as mad trying to get the grass as she does being locked up. She is content now to be locked in the back yard with the dogs and her very own bale of mediocre grass to play with,sleep in and bury her head in and a small nutricious feed a day. ..oh and the whole street thought i was a real meanie when I used it! ..but didnt understand the consequences.

harmony
07-08-07, 02:10 PM
Hi opensky,

The muzzles are great, as others have said, they allow the pony to be out roaming around. My pony has been used to wearing one at the first sign of grass, I still get the 'hurt' look when it goes on, but he doesn't object, & they adapt to them quickly. A small 'bribe' (piece of carrot) inside the muzzle helps make putting it on a nicer experience for the pony. You can get little pads that fit on the edges to stop rubbing, these help with the comfort factor. And yes, my boy acquired the 'Hannibal' nickname as well! good luck.

Cheers, Harmony

Talaki
08-08-07, 12:20 AM
We had one once for a very fat mare and she "ate" a hole through the bottom!

kajay11
08-08-07, 04:14 AM
I bought one for my little shetland, but i can not for the life of me keep it on him for more then 5 mins, he gets it off everytime! He rubs his nose up and down against anthing he can until he pushes right down over his nose!!

Don't mean to hijack your thread opensky but I would love to hear any tips anyone has on keeping them on!!!

Cheers Kajay

Ecogal
08-08-07, 12:35 PM
Is it done up tight enough? My shetland tries to rub it off on the ground but has never succeeded. If the strap around her ears was too long she'd be able to do it though. I always check it is on correctly by sticking my finger through the whole on the bottom of muzzle and seeing that there is a finger joint distance between the bottom of muzzle and the horses lips. I swear one day she'll take my finger off! There is meant to be a bit of space but not to much. I was sure if my cheeky pony couldn't get one off, NO pony could!

Good luck.

Docs_Star
10-08-07, 01:50 PM
Love mine, stops mare stressing when she is locked up. It has really be a saviour.

jersey_cow
11-08-07, 02:57 AM
Where do you get them from and how much are they generally?