PDA

View Full Version : Distance Education or On Campus??

Beck Star
11-09-07, 01:19 PM
I'm currently in the battle of deciding whether or not I want to study on campus or by distance ed. I'm looking at the Bachelor of Equine Science and Bachelor of Animal Science and I'm looking for what you did and what you found was good for you? I would love to do it by distance ed but the thought of being stuck doing it for an extra 3yrs is daunting. Any thoughts?

emdiddy
11-09-07, 01:51 PM
Hi which UNI were you wanting to do them at?

I was wanting to do the same thing at Gatton UQ next year and didn't want to live on campus as being away from my friends but im still undecided!

Sorry i cant be of much help..

Beck Star
11-09-07, 01:56 PM
Charles Sturt Uni at Wagga. I went there and had a look a few weeks ago. Very nice equine facilities.

_a_
11-09-07, 10:06 PM
For my degree I've had to do most of it on campus but with a couple off campus courses as the lines didn't match. I think on campus is the better option IF it's available to you. It's much easier just to ask someone in person if you don't understand something. I find you keep up to date better and do better overall, if your attending the class. I know we all say we'll do set a day aside for that but it never gets done - or is that just me?

Liz
11-09-07, 11:31 PM
From the POV of an old lady who is an employer and mentor of young graduates ... go away to uni if you possibly can - even if it isn't for the entire course.

The terms are so short that they will fly by, and you will get an unprecedented exposure to people, subjects, learning methods and teaching that you cannot possibly get by distance education - in short your education will be, with any luck, and to use that old-fashioned term - more rounded. In addition, you will be able to debate and discuss and disagree in a way that simply does not happen with distance education, where the nuances of body language are missing, however much one makes use of technology.

Look at all the WHY's for what you want to do and balance them against the advice you might be given. Distance ed can be great, especially when someone has already done a first degree and is doing a Masters or PG diploma. Sometimes its the only option if work or family committments mean that someone has to constantly move around, or for whatever reason simply cannot do any on-campus study.

However if this is a first degree for you, and if, as I assume, you are fairly young without too many onerous family committments, I would encourage you very, very strongly to do all you can to study on campus for at least one full academic year.

JCA
12-09-07, 12:05 AM
Yes- I wholeheartedly agree with Liz.

Please try to get on to campus. University is so much more than just a bit of academic learning direct from books; the interaction and exchange of ideas with fellow classmates is perhaps the most rewarding part.

University is an avenue not just to attain a degree, but hopefully to expand your mind and to step outside your current realm of exposure.

If at all possible, please do as much study as you can on campus. Your life will be so much richer for it.

countrychick
12-09-07, 12:24 AM
I have nearly finished a Bacholer of Accounting degree which I have done externally. I started off taking a full time load hoping it would only take me 3-4 yrs to complete however gradually cut it back to a half time load. The degree will have taken me 4.5-5 yrs to complete when I have finished. I chose to study externally as it was gave me the opportunity to stay at home & not have to move away to a city, plus I have time to muck around with my horses and do some part time work when I can fit it in. Also would have saved me a fair bit of money as well. Studying externally does have its advantages however it takes alot of committment & dedication, you need to be able to say NO i can't go do something else I have to study for x number of hrs a day... I basically study at home for 4-5 hrs a day & try to have one day off over the weekend so it is still full on... One thing I don't like about studying externally is that you do an awful lot of reading!!! It would be nice just to be able to sit there & have someone tell/show you how do do stuff instead of having to read, interpret & then try to do it & to teach yourself.... Some uni's now are slowly starting to get alot of electronic resources up & available to external students... some subjects I do have audio lectures (which are extremely boring) that you download & listen to which makes life alot easier, then you also download all your lecture slides, tut questions etc off the net & can contact the lectures & other students whenever you need to. Another thing you can keep in mind is that some uni's allow you to change between studying internally & externally... might be something worth considering. If you are in a position where you can do uni internally, I probably would recommend it however the external mode does give you alot of flexibility. I would never have been able to do what I have done with my horses if I had studied internally even though it is just a sport it keeps me sane!

Rowdy89
12-09-07, 06:15 AM
Hi Beck Star,
i was in the same boat you are in last year. I am an internal at Charles Sturt doing Equine Science and i love it. I come from the Gold Coast...distance was going to be my choice. I found it came down to wanting to meet new people and a new place. I love it down here, im not on campus but you can get involved as much as you like, or not and the lecturers are pretty good. They are also really accepting of your experience or in my case, the lack of it. The workload isnt that great either for internals. I have to agree that the 6 years was a main reason i changed to an internal but its different for everyone.

Best of luck,
Sara

Mona
12-09-07, 10:06 AM
ahhhh LIVE ON CAMPUS! That's what i'm currently doing and to tell the truth i'm having the time of my life. You instantly make heaps of friends, so many organised activities and sports and groups to be a part of. Actual uni work is a bit of a blip on my radar to be honest (and seeing as i'm studying medicine that's probably not a good thing).

You're at a time of your life when you want more independence, and living at college gives you exactly that. You'll really enjoy your years at uni if you take this option. I have friends who are commuting from home and it's just not the same - their whole lives revolve around their timetable & it's very hard to meet new friends.

All the best!

teetee
12-09-07, 03:47 PM
I studied internally for my first degree and i think it was better than external for first up - I am doing PG external now and coping well but i doubt it would have been that way for my initial studies as you really have to get into the swing of uni and self-study. And don't listen to people when they say you don't need to go to lectures because the info is on the net - believe me you should go to the lectures no matter what!
Good luck :)