PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advise need on preggy mare

riddlebrook
12-09-07, 05:54 AM
I have a mare at 356 days by my calculations. She has had a full bag for about a week, and this morning i go out and she has a large hard swelling about a foot long from her boobs forward, the full width of the belly and about 1 to 2 inches thick. She seems very unhappy grumpy (though is eating fine) and appears sore in the area. I have vet coming thursday to casterate 2 colts, but is this something more urgent that i need a vet earlier, of should i wait for vet?
Any advise please RB

carson
12-09-07, 06:05 AM
Hi,
I am no expert but my mare also had this for about the last 4 weeks of pregnancy. I found somewhere on the net some reference to pooling of fluid and not to worry about it. I believe some get swollen hind legs as well. My pony mare was huge and she bagged up 3 months! before foal was born. The swelling on the underside of her belly took a few days to go after the birth of a very healthy energetic foal. (1st August)

shaiarabs
12-09-07, 06:12 AM
the fluid is an odema can quite normal from the teats to the front is fine but if you ever have one that goes from front legs to back then vet check for heart troubles

this one sounds normal milk has come in and proteins are high so shes produced an odema

sassy
12-09-07, 06:23 AM
My mare had one a few days ago.It came up and went down as quickly.
Shes due in 2 weeks.

Neisje
12-09-07, 02:09 PM
All sounds normal, its just fluid. If she is doing lots of standing around doing nothing a bit of light excersise can help reduce fluid build up, nothing drastic, just maybe more time out in a bigger paddock or going for walks etc

Neisje

gimetime
12-09-07, 03:33 PM
sounds like it is the milk ducts which is quite normal.

MandyE
13-09-07, 05:36 PM
The pregnancy induced oedema in some mares is caused by the pressure of the foal on the blood vessels which return the blood in the abdomen to the bloodstream, preventing the fluid from returning to the blood stream, and it then pools in the tissues.

I had a mare last season with a huge oedema, it was about 2 inches thick from her teats all the way up to between her front legs, and yes, it went away by day 2 after she had the foal.

As someone else said, if the swelling is starting at the front legs and moving back along the tummy, then it can be due to congestive heart failure, but if she's close to foaling, it will be because of the foal, and not heart failure ;)

lanepark
14-09-07, 02:36 AM
356 days! wow, she's ready to go, good luck and post us some photos!!!